Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has anyone figured out how to do this? split a vent into two separate air flows...
View attachment 686337
The manual says this, but from your picture, I don't see "radiating air waves". Try swiping right or left on the pictured vent.

To adjust the direction of the air flow, touch the radiating air waves from the corresponding vent on the touchscreen. The air flows in a single stream when centered or splits into mirrored air streams when air is directed outward or inward from the center of the vent.

• Helpful
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
The manual says this, but from your picture, I don't see "radiating air waves". Try swiping right or left on the pictured vent.

To adjust the direction of the air flow, touch the radiating air waves from the corresponding vent on the touchscreen. The air flows in a single stream when centered or splits into mirrored air streams when air is directed outward or inward from the center of the vent.
that works fine for splitting left and right just like the model 3, but not so much on the vertical vents. oh well... another sw update I get to look forward to I suppose.

LOL - off topic but Lucid is getting desperate for orders. Got like 3 calls from them over the last two weeks begging to put in a preorder. I had one a while ago but just decided it was ugly as *sugar*. No thank you
"In the Lucid Air's background is beautiful Santa Monica, with the rolling hills cascading....." 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: TNGuy99 and Tigers
Been driving mine for about a week now. Observations:
  • the speed will not disappoint. this has been covered over and over again.
  • the handling surprised me. it handles better than the M3P, which I just sold and did track.
  • the touch controls on the yoke kind of suck. I have turned on the wipers too many times reaching for the scroll wheel on the right. I sure hope there is a sw fix coming to allow for some sort of sensitivity adjustment or even changing this light touch vs. push nonsense.
  • some parts of the UI are worse than on the M3P which is kind of odd given I now have two screens! Here are some examples that come to mind.
    • want to adjust the following distance when the cruise is on? push the scroll wheel left or right. NO, that doesn't work. you have to go into the menus to do it.
    • want to grab a video clip of a car spinning across the lanes of the opposite side of the freeway? (I saw that yesterday!) you have to open the menu THEN click on the dashcam icon. stupid. I guess I could have honked the horn... but that upsets people sometimes...
  • why did you get rid of all the energy info Tesla!!!! I loved seeing that stuff. boooo
OK, enough for now. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car. It is just disappointing they changed a few things that seem like common sense before.
Some of it is clearly just not done being implemented. Lots of missing features that my 2016 even has.

Also let’s face it, the price mark up between LR and Plaid is really nothing more than an extra motor and peacocking rights. Production cost of Plaid over LR is probably a fraction of what they charge in MSRP.
Without knowing what it costs to build an inverter to handle the current, or the cost of building carbon wrapped rotors for the motors, all you can do is guess.

Without knowing what it costs to build an inverter to handle the current, or the cost of building carbon wrapped rotors for the motors, all you can do is guess.
This is exactly my point. There are countless changes and differences between the 2 that people often don't consider. There is a reason that it is that expensive. No, it's not 50k more expensive to build, but has to be a decent chunk more to build vs. the LR. This is all I'm going to say on this subject.🙂

Last edited:
I looked up that fire event recently and the internet is silent about it. My conspiracy theory is that an automaker pulled the stunt bc Tesla is mopping the floor with their outdated technology OR someone w a short position in TSLA stock is getting bent over. Or maybe the car just malfunctioned? I dunno… very odd how it disappeared.
On another note… do the people who buy 19s do it bc they plan on replacing the wheels immediately? I’m scratching my head why anyone would buy those ugly POS… bc if you roll around in a 90k car with ugly wheels for better efficiency then you’re a real dweeb and I’m glad Tesla is making you wait. Ooos did I just stir the pot?
I chose 19” wheels and immediately ordered aftermarket wheels. Many options out there and 21” low profile tires don’t do well in Midwest winters prone to damage from potholes.

They got rid of the energy stuff because they are lying about the actual battery situation (sandbag for a later update has been leaked by some). That's my guess.
Why is pure speculation about potentially missing information translated into Tesla is lying?

Didn't you go on a rampage about Tesla "lying" about their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

This is exactly my point. There are countless changes and differences between the 2 that people often don't consider. There is a reason that it is that expensive. No, it's not 50k more expensive to build, but has to be a decent chunk more to build vs. the LR. This is all I'm going to say on this subject.🙂

It is no where near $50k more to build. But you are buying based on its value not its cost. To autophiles, the Plaid is a great target. If the performance is of value to you, then it is worth more than $50k difference. Tesla is smart knowing what a great deal in the auto world the Plaid is against other more expensive supercars. Just be happy they are not charging more. For others, like me, the LR checks the boxes and I would not appreciate the performance more than the extra $$.

Does the cost to build or the margin have any relevance in your purchasing decision of a Plaid. Absolutely not - you want the raw performance or you would have just gone with the LR.

It is no where near $50k more to build. But you are buying based on its value not its cost. To autophiles, the Plaid is a great target. If the performance is of value to you, then it is worth more than $50k difference. Tesla is smart knowing what a great deal in the auto world the Plaid is against other more expensive supercars. Just be happy they are not charging more. For others, like me, the LR checks the boxes and I would not appreciate the performance more than the extra $$.
Well said! Exactly! They aren't charging more for it now than they charged for the P90D and P100D, back when Ludicrous Mode was a $35,000 option. But for many people, the LR is plenty, and that is great. It's a damn fast car also. It's awesome to me how there are options, so that everyone can be happy with their choices. It's all about what is worth it to the buyer. :)

Edit: Perfectly said. If the range is more of your concern, or you don't feel the need for the speed, the LR will absolutely suffice. For the performance-crazy people like me and some other members on this thread, the Plaid is the one. :)

Last edited:
Well said! Exactly! They aren't charging more for it now than they charged for the P90D and P100D, back when Ludicrous Mode was a $35,000 option. But for many people, the LR is plenty, and that is great. It's a damn fast car also. It's awesome to me how they're are options, so that everyone can be happy with their choices. It's all about what is worth it to the buyer. :)

Edit: Perfectly said. If the range is more of your concern, or you don't the need for the speed, the LR will absolutely suffice. For the performance-crazy people like me and some other members on this thread, the Plaid is the one. :)

Forgot to add that the difference is not for the Plaid's peacock feathers - those are only about $125 for 200 feathers. 🤣

I looked up that fire event recently and the internet is silent about it. My conspiracy theory is that an automaker pulled the stunt bc Tesla is mopping the floor with their outdated technology OR someone w a short position in TSLA stock is getting bent over. Or maybe the car just malfunctioned? I dunno… very odd how it disappeared.
On another note… do the people who buy 19s do it bc they plan on replacing the wheels immediately? I’m scratching my head why anyone would buy those ugly POS… bc if you roll around in a 90k car with ugly wheels for better efficiency then you’re a real dweeb and I’m glad Tesla is making you wait. Ooos did I just stir the pot?
The roads are pretty rough around here so the 21s would be a headache. I’ll just get TSportline 20s and I’ll use the 19s as a winter set up.
Edit: at this point, I don’t care about pot holes. I wish I ordered 21s 😩.

Funny (or not so funny), I just heard a similar thing today about my order.

I originally ordered a Plaid on 9/22/2020, which was then automatically converted to Plaid+ on 2/11/2021. Because Tesla also automatically converted by account back down from Plaid+ to Plaid on 6/19/2021, I only finalized the "next steps" on MyTesla account on 6/22/2021. Based on this sequence of event, a new Tesla insider I got in touch with told me that my order has an effective order date of 6/22/2021 and it will be prioritized accordingly. I was also told not to expect my Plaid before September.

This is in stark contrast with what my other Tesla contact was telling me, namely: my order still has Sept. 2020 priority and will be matched to a VIN as soon as production matches my order details. This new piece of information basically tells me this is all incorrect, and there is no VIN matching at all, nor any concept of "priority", until the date when all steps possible to complete are indeed complete on MyTesla. That date sets the wheels in motion of VIN matching.

Frustrating...
My SA says the fact I originally ordered in 9/2020 is “in my file”. I don’t know what to do with that, but there you go.

I feel as if 19s were an issue, they should’ve either communicated it with the customers and allowed them to upgrade to 21s or comped them all 21s and made it right to take care of those who might continue to buy their cars when there’s finally competition. Customer retention could make or break a company.

Also let’s face it, the price mark up between LR and Plaid is really nothing more than an extra motor and peacocking rights. Production cost of Plaid over LR is probably a fraction of what they charge in MSRP.

i disagree with your last sentence. have you been in a Plaid? also, some people like the feel of the added acceleration and it is just worth more to them. If it was as you described, a person would buy a Porsche instead of a Plaid.

People have always hungered for more power out of their cars. The after market industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. People like speed and like to go faster. not sure why this is so hard to grasp honestly.

Recommend more than just a superficial think on this.

Not all GHG dumping is the same: for some, such as ground transport, home and light industry electrical needs, everyone needs to STOP dumping GHG's. For other GHG dumping, such as rockets and long-distance aviation, GHG dumping is the ONLY alternative, FOR NOW.

If you can't/don't understand the difference, I recommend some training in physics, aerodynamics, and basic, logical thinking. Or, just stay on the wrong side of the bell curve, but, please, don't have any offspring.

For aviation, physics is a limfac as energy density is a major obstacle, but the trends are good and in the correct direction:

You just keep justifying your contribution to "climate change" to make yourself feel better. It's ok. We've got nothing else to do on this thread except read your spouts. Thank you. Now, back to more important things. RN1144....Where's my freakin car Elon??? :D:rolleyes::(