Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Concur: Tesla's communication with those that pay their salaries is beyond atrocious, it's just plain rude. Terrible company on many levels, but with great products.

As for the cost delta in the two Model S's, please see #38,881--it's closer to a $7k difference, most likely, in production cost. Throw in another few $k for warranty expenses, and the slightly different seats, let's call it $10k.

As a TSLA shareholder I'm pleased.

As a buyer, I flabbergasted.
This is actually mind blowing if true.
I’m glad I didn’t miss TMC class today, was thinking about not coming.

OMG that’s not “decoration”, it is a living thing called a “DOG”, and you have to give it food and water, you maniac!
LOL. Is that what that dang hairball is?? I'll be!! Actually, we have four of them!! Down from our highest of NINE just a year ago. All but that one are abandonees out here in the country by scumbags that don't wanna care for them. We take them in. However, I have a few that I will send to a new, loving home, for free, with 6 months of free food 😂🤣

Does anyone know if the boombox speaker on the outside of the car works with the peddle to increase sound or change sound? So in other words, if I push down on the accelerator, does the intensity of the sound coming from the speakers change?

I don’t believe it does. And it only works up to a certain mph, low speed only.

Does anyone know if the boombox speaker on the outside of the car works with the peddle to increase sound or change sound? So in other words, if I push down on the accelerator, does the intensity of the sound coming from the speakers change?
I don’t believe it does. And it only works up to a certain mph, low speed only.
What about the video posted by Dragtimes yesterday showing the Model S with the sound of a cammed Hellcat? The sound came out of the speaker on the outside of the car. I’m not sure if the intensity of the sound increases as you push the accelerator but I assume it does. Apparently you use a USB drive and can make the Tesla sound like a bunch of different cars. Looks pretty cool to mess around with.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
What about the video posted by Dragtimes yesterday showing the Model S with the sound of a cammed Hellcat? The sound came out of the speaker on the outside of the car. I’m not sure if the intensity of the sound increases as you push the accelerator but I assume it does. Apparently you use a USB drive and can make the Tesla sound like a bunch of different cars. Looks pretty cool to mess around with.

Pretty sure that’s just a standard sound file (mp3 etc). Not dependent on pedal pressure. It’s just a file… And yes, Brooks did indeed put a Hellcat sound file on his flash drive. Awful-sounding thing.

Ok
A lot of things will be coming with the software update - in "two weeks".
6B6135E2-DE70-449C-A7E3-C98BA6689B1F.png

Where do you download the car sounds???

Because cheap electric rates don’t correlate to tax credits and most folks aren’t buying $50,000+ cars which, in reality, is the cost of a new Tesla most of the time. Sucks but true.
Also cheap electric costs are usually not in the areas with a median income of $100,000 (people that can afford a $900/month Tesla car payment) lol
Concur: Tesla's communication with those that pay their salaries is beyond atrocious, it's just plain rude. Terrible company on many levels, but with great products.

As for the cost delta in the two Model S's, please see #38,881--it's closer to a $7k difference, most likely, in production cost. Throw in another few $k for warranty expenses, and the slightly different seats, let's call it $10k.

As a TSLA shareholder I'm pleased.

As a buyer, I flabbergasted.
$10k from $40-50k mark up… 1/4 or 1/5, therefore a fraction of the cost. I get the R&D, I’ll discuss my opinion on that later.
You mean aside from producing the best cars in the world?
No doubt about it, until one day there will be competition.
Or, perhaps the LR is priced too low, considering it is less expensive than its most direct competitor (performance-wise), the Taycan Turbo. And the Plaid is priced too low compared to the Taycan Turbo S, as well.

The Plaid is as unnecessary as every performance car that came before it, and every performance car that will come after it, but that's not really the point.

The difference is this time I can (and did) haul furniture home from IKEA with my stupidly fast car.
Not arguing the subjective low/high prices, it was more along the lines of that we support them as a company and support their R&D, and should probably have some sort of a break when they screw up the rims and can’t deliver the cars we ordered. Face it, $40-50k mark up is quite a lot for the minimal extra that you get with Plaid, the least you can do is comp the 21in rims to make it right with the people that support your projects/product.
Pricing is more than just COGS + profit margin. One of the things that goes into the mix is amortizing the R&D needed to develop the product and there would appear to be quite a bit sunk into developing and manufacturing those carbon sleeved rotors.
No doubt about it, but the fact that we support their R&D, as mentioned before, should not result in a big middle finger in communication and/or a price increase when we try to upgrade our wheels to 21s.
Exactly my thoughts! There has be at least tens of millions into those rotors, not to mention the machine they had to develop.
I think I’ve covered it all above lol. Just feel like it’s a slap in the face when you’re willing to commit to a company because of their “great product”, support their R&D with the hefty price mark up for a certain car model, and you get treated like some shmuck who doesn’t even matter. It works for them now, but people will remember this when someone else comes out with a solid competition product and better customer service.

Sure there are people who order the car and could care less about when it comes because it’s just a tool to them, but then there’s also a solid fan base who truly love their cars, because face it, if we didn’t, we would not be in this thread on this forum lol

Also cheap electric costs are usually not in the areas with a median income of $100,000 (people that can afford a $900/month Tesla car payment) lol

$10k from $40-50k mark up… 1/4 or 1/5, therefore a fraction of the cost. I get the R&D, I’ll discuss my opinion on that later.

No doubt about it, until one day there will be competition.

Not arguing the subjective low/high prices, it was more along the lines of that we support them as a company and support their R&D, and should probably have some sort of a break when they screw up the rims and can’t deliver the cars we ordered. Face it, $40-50k mark up is quite a lot for the minimal extra that you get with Plaid, the least you can do is comp the 21in rims to make it right with the people that support your projects/product.

No doubt about it, but the fact that we support their R&D, as mentioned before, should not result in a big middle finger in communication and/or a price increase when we try to upgrade our wheels to 21s.

I think I’ve covered it all above lol. Just feel like it’s a slap in the face when you’re willing to commit to a company because of their “great product”, support their R&D with the hefty price mark up for a certain car model, and you get treated like some shmuck who doesn’t even matter. It works for them now, but people will remember this when someone else comes out with a solid competition product and better customer service.

Sure there are people who order the car and could care less about when it comes because it’s just a tool to them, but then there’s also a solid fan base who truly love their cars, because face it, if we didn’t, we would not be in this thread on this forum lol
Agree on the treatment part. However, correct if I'm wrong, but isn't literally EVERY time someone buys a product, they are paying in part for R&D? Especially with vehicles.

Reactions: cwanja and Ramphex
I watched that video with that question in mind and can hear no discernible difference.

Agree on the treatment part. However, correct if I'm wrong, but isn't literally EVERY time someone buys a product, they are paying in part for R&D? Especially with vehicles.
Yea, any product. iPhone 12 Pro doesn’t cost Apple a grand to manufacture. Model S LR doesn’t cost Tesla $85,000 to manufacture. The costs include a lot more than just the manufacturing process, including the R&D. But someone argued that the Plaid $40-50k mark up was for R&D as if we haven’t already had R&D included in the car price.

All in all, we’re obviously willing to pay the price to support the company regardless of why they marked what up to what price. Just feel as there should be something in return, currently feels like a one way street.

Yea, any product. iPhone 12 Pro doesn’t cost Apple a grand to manufacture. Model S LR doesn’t cost Tesla $85,000 to manufacture. The costs include a lot more than just the manufacturing process, including the R&D. But someone argued that the Plaid $40-50k mark up was for R&D as if we haven’t already had R&D included in the car price.

All in all, we’re obviously willing to pay the price to support the company regardless of why they marked what up to what price. Just feel as there should be something in return, currently feels like a one way street.
Companies want at least 60% margins on the cost of goods plus labor Auto is usually less and Tesla posts margins of around 30%.

Love your thoughts here. Agree 99%. Definitely should be better communication. I hope that, as with a lot of members, once you take delivery, all of those issues kind of fade away. It's also something I think they will improve massively in the coming years.

Except for one thing. The LR required R&D, but there is no way that both required and used the same amount of R&D. The Plaid powertrain has been in development since at least late 2017, and probably further back. For the record, I am not saying that the 50k delta is only R&D, I'm just saying that it is impossible that the LR and Plaid had equal amounts of money invested in their development. So, most likely, customers are paying more for the R&D in the Plaid than the LR. Maybe 2-10k more in R&D per car.