Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who promised you this? SAs? Tesla has never straight out said “upgrade your 21s and you get your car sooner”. Hell, we are seeing people upgrade to 21s and still sitting at October.

Offered. Not delivered. You still have the option to wait for carbon fiber and get what you ordered. They are delivering it, look at deliveries. Not at the speed any one wants, but they are delivering it.

Who “convinced” you? You have the right, as the customer, to say no. You also have the right to “settle” (In my opinion) or accept what is being offered versus waiting for what you wanted. It is not like Tesla has a gun to your head forcing you to take delivery.

As I said earlier, everyone is (rightfully) pissed off about the delayed, the process, the sequence of cars being delivered. But stating it is a bait and switch is wrong. Also I said, if you were bait and switched, take the legal course. Hopefully you remember to opt out of arbitration.

This is really simple. When I made my purchase in January, Tesla told me (on the website) that it would deliver me a car in February or March. I do not believe that Tesla actually had any intent to do so. If you choose to believe that, fine, but I think it was just a straight-up lie. Now, Tesla is telling me (again, on the website) that it will deliver the car I purchased at some undisclosed time in the future. Tesla initially told me it was selling me one thing (a car in February/March), and now is selling me another thing less valuable (a car many months later). I believe it is fraud, bait and switch, whatever you want to call it.

My EDD was previously ‘July’ but has been blank now for weeks.

I was at our Sales Center today picking up my M3 from service (replaced control arms - that’s another story), and I asked if they had any info on my Plaid reservation.

Interestingly, , a sales rep pulled up my account and showed me his screen which showed ‘Aug 18th’ for delivery. Now he cautioned me that it’s just a placeholder, “This IS Tesla, after all”, he said 🤣. But he thought I had a pretty good chance of delivery some time in August. He said the carbon fiber and 19” wheels had been holding things up in general, but were starting to ship ‘now’.

Last time I’ll say this. It totally is a B&S. Why? Because by 2 weeks before EOQ they knew damn well 19’s were not shipping anytime soon and still said June, even if you lived above the shed outside of the freemont factory garage in an efficiency, you still would not get the car until who knows when.

That is misleading. I don’t truly care because I’m driving a great P3D right now so I’m happy, EV-wise.

I just don’t like the (as someone else said) opaque and pretty much worthless communication. I don’t need the car. I just want half decent honesty and transparency.
I think the 19" wheel delivery estimate being wrong is a bit more benign. There were 3 silver 19" wheel-Plaids lined up on shown in the @gabeincal flyover video from the day of the event on 6/10/21. None of those were delivered as 19's and were most likely upgraded to 21's as referenced by those at the event. Before the end of June, while Plaid delivery estimates were still at June for the 21's, they moved to August for the 19's.

In a perfect world the moment Elon made the call to not ship (ugly) silver 19's, the website should have been updated. But it took between 12-19 days to accurately list the August timeframe for Plaid orders, which is reflected as June for 21's and August for 19's as of 6/29/21:

Archive.org didn't do any captures between 6/23 and 6/29, so not sure of the date the 19" wheels were listed as August for deliveries, but it was certainly by 6/29. Let's put these conspiracy theories to rest. Tesla is not trying to trick people into switching their wheel orders. They just don't want to ship ugly cars!

Who promised you this? SAs? Tesla has never straight out said “upgrade your 21s and you get your car sooner”. Hell, we are seeing people upgrade to 21s and still sitting at October.

Offered. Not the only thing being delivered. You still have the option to wait for carbon fiber (or 19s or whatever) and get what you ordered. They are delivering almost every config (with the exception of white interior it seems), just look at recent deliveries and photos. Not at the speed any one wants, but they are delivering it.

Who “convinced” you? You have the right, as the customer, to say no. You also have the right to “settle” (In my opinion) or accept what is being offered to get your car earlier versus waiting for what you wanted. It is not like Tesla has a gun to your head forcing you to take delivery.

As I said earlier, everyone is (rightfully) pissed off about the delay(s), the delivery process, the sequence of cars being delivered and the list could go on. Not debating that and align with everyone on that. But stating it is a bait and switch is wrong. Also said, if you were bait and switched take the legal course. Hopefully you remember to opt out of arbitration.
Every single thing you said here does nothing to change the definition of bait and switch, and the fact that Tesla is doing it.

You keep saying I have the option of not doing it. That is completely incoherent to the definition of bait and switch. By your logic, bait and switch cannot exist, because no matter how a company tries to deceive and lie to a customer, we'll always have cwanja reminding them they have the option to not participate. WHAT?

One time I tried to buy a Blue Toyota Highlander. This was during the nuclear plant disaster in Japan and Toyota was not shipping anymore. I called a Toyota dealer and specifically said I was looking for a BLUE Highlander. He said they have one and will hold it for me till tomorrow. When I got there, a sales associate said they never had one, and tried to talk me into buying a silver one. If only cwanja was there to incorrectly remind me that as long as I don't buy the silver one, the dealership would not be guilty of bait and switch.

Good grief...

Last edited:
Every single thing you said here does nothing to change the definition of bait and switch, and the fact that Tesla is doing it.

You keep saying I have the option of not doing it. That is completely incoherent to the definition of bait and switch. By your logic, bait and switch cannot exist, because no matter how a company tries to deceive and lie to a customer, we'll always have cwanja reminding them they have the option to not participate. WHAT?

One time I tried to buy a Blue Toyota Highlander. This was during the nuclear plant disaster in Japan and Toyota was not shipping anymore. I called a Toyota dealer and specifically said I was looking for a BLUE Highlander. He said they have one and will hold it for me till tomorrow. When I got there, a sales associate said they never had one, and tried to talk me into buying a silver one. If only cwanja was there to incorrectly remind me that as long as I don't buy the silver one, the dealership would not be guilty of bait and switch.

Good grief...
but...but...it was a "Highlander" - there can be only one!!!! :)

Good grief...
I think you’re confusing hubris and / or incompetence with lying. I believe Tesla fully expected to start delivering cars in March and I sold my Model S in early March due to this expectation. I placed my order in January so I have plenty of reason to be upset. However I don’t think Tesla lied, they are either incompetent or didn’t foresee certain roadblocks and difficulties getting this car mass produced.

The Highlander example you gave is not incompetence but a lie. If they KNOW they don’t have the car and know they won’t have the car, but still tell you they do just to get you to come to the lot then THAT is bait and switch.

A more equivalent example would be for them to tell you they have a blue Highlander, but it’s really on another dealer’s lot and they are confident it will be delivered to their lot before you arrive. However something falls through, maybe bad inventory management by the other dealership or the car fell off the delivery truck. Now they don’t have the blue Highlander they promised and try to sell you another color. In that scenario there is no malice in their intent so IMO not bait & switch. They fully expected to sell you a blue Highlander. That’s how I view Tesla’s delays.

I called my delivery center. While being on the phone was anathema experience, my account was "updated with a keyword" that tells the factory that I'm ready for delivery 🤥

The SA was friendly and I told her that I was mostly just calling to say hello and introduce myself as I'll be picking up at that location. C'est la vie.

Anyone ever place an order and then change names on the order? My SA said that it was allowed as long as you didn’t wait until the last minute.
i had to change the financing documents day of delivery to remove my wife from them since she couldn't be present at delivery to sign. Tesla finance was on top of it and happened pretty quickly and in time for me to still take delivery on that day. Since i was due to pick up in 90 minutes, it was literally "last minute"

I think you’re confusing hubris and / or incompetence with lying. I believe Tesla fully expected to start delivering cars in March and I sold my Model S in early March due to this expectation. I placed my order in January so I have plenty of reason to be upset. However I don’t think Tesla lied, they are either incompetent or didn’t foresee certain roadblocks and difficulties getting this car mass produced.

The Highlander example you gave is not incompetence but a lie. If they KNOW they don’t have the car and know they won’t have the car, but still tell you they do just to get you to come to the lot then THAT is bait and switch.

A more equivalent example would be for them to tell you they have a blue Highlander, but it’s really on another dealer’s lot and they are confident it will be delivered to their lot before you arrive. However something falls through, maybe bad inventory management by the other dealership or the car fell off the delivery truck. Now they don’t have the blue Highlander they promised and try to sell you another color. In that scenario there is no malice in their intent so IMO not bait & switch. They fully expected to sell you a blue Highlander. That’s how I view Tesla’s delays.
Interesting - I was going to gently disagree with the semantics of the definition - but it turns out, from what I'm reading about the definition of bait and switch, it is more of an upsell - advertise A, and then push the more expensive B.
I thought advertising A and not having A and pushing you to B would be bait and switch in itself (that's how I understood it) but I guess the classic examples are advertising the low priced TV's, etc. and then they push you to a more expensive model.
In this definition, it started out (to me) that substituting the different colored Highlander would be bait and switch, but later it says higher margined/profit item.
Well, I learned something new today.
I still remember where "sincere" came from when studying for the SATs if anyone is interested....
1627331972200.png

I had an SA call me, which was nice. He said he was really sorry I've been waiting so long, but hopes that I should get delivery in August, which was nice. He answered some questions I had pertaining to registration/transferring plates/etc that I didn't know, and all in all, it was a nice.

Aside from the registration/plate info though, I don't wanna get my hopes up lol.