Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sent this off to my TA/SA contact:

Good morning Xxx & Xxxx,

Just checking to get an update on my order. Last time you gave me the delivery dates listed on Tesla.com for new deliveries. That date is now well into 2022!!

In good faith I sold my Tesla to a private party based on a delivery date posted on my Tesla account page more than 5 months ago.

That date disappeared and no date is shown at all now.

Because of the date posted and me selling my car based on that information provided by Tesla, I am now going into 4 months and over $4,000 in rental car fees. This is both unfair and bad business on Tesla’s part.

I realize this situation is not on your part as an individual your fault but I would appreciate some update from whomever has any knowledge at Tesla on my order.

This will be our 5th Tesla since 2015 and have never been treated like this as a costumer even during the the early struggling days of Tesla.

Please please provide something other than “current orders are expected to ship as of February/March 2022”

Thank you and I do appreciate any updates.

Richard
RN 1143376**
Thanks for the template! I just wrote this to my SA:

Just checking to get an update on my order. Initially I was told I would take delivery in June for my Plaid + to Plaid and , when I called about my car, other SA's gave me the delivery dates listed on Tesla.com for new deliveries. That date is now into Q1 2022!!

In good faith, I sold my Tesla to a private party, more than 4 weeks ago, based on a delivery date of June posted on my Tesla account page .

That date disappeared back in late June and no date is shown at all now .

Because of the date posted, and me selling my car based on that information provided by Tesla, I am now going into my 3rd week, and $1500 in rental car fees. This is totally unfair on Tesla’s part.

I realize this situation is not on you as an individual, but I would appreciate some update from whomever has any knowledge at Tesla on my order.

Would any changes such as switching to ebony wood interior process the car quicker. (now I am desperate) I REALLY do not want to switch away from CF, but if you can guarantee I will get a car within a couple weeks, I might.

I already switched to the 21" wheels in the hopes that would help. No such luck, and that will cost me $4500. Others have actually had the wheel upgrades comp'd. Any way you can do that for me as well?

This will be our 5th Tesla since Q1 2014 and the factory has never treated me like this as a customer even during the early struggling days of Tesla.

Please, please, provide something other than “current orders are expected to ship as of February/March 2022”

Thank you and I do appreciate any updates.

OK, for the record, that is NOT what I'm saying you guys should do. I'm not saying ya'll should sit back and do nothing. I'm trying to send a message here:
Think about how small this issue is in the grand scheme of things! You guys are on an online forum, waiting for deliveries of $80,000+ cars. There are many, MANY people who could only hope to make that amount of money in three to four years. The cars will come, and I hope they come soon for you guys, but I'm trying to keep it real here.:)
Ohhh, you mean there is actually something worse than waiting for my $134,000 car?;)

For some of you finding yourselves (like i was facing) in a jam due to selling your Tesla, and now faced with potentially much longer delays.

Instead of renting a car, Consider (like I did) hunting through Craigslist for cars for sale from private sellers. I focused on the under $3k range, as there will be minimal (if any) depreciation loss risk on those over the next few months. Even better if the car needs some minor work that you can handle as a summer DIY project to keep yourself busy, but also pushes down the sale value for the seller. I found a 2005 C class benz with slight hood damage, some hail damage, non working power window (already fixed with a $30 new regulator from ebay and a youtube tutorial) totally worn ball joints and bushings up front that made the test ride clunky/and loose up front. (Fixed with a $85 ebay kit of new control arms which include ball joints/bushings over the weekend). Runs/starts fine, AC is cold, cooling and charging systems totally fine. She actually runs good now, just not the most attractive. But solid temporary transportation.

The dealer quoted the seller a price on those repairs that exceeded value of the car to fix when you factor in their price for parts and their high labor. And carmax was offering something crazy low to buy the car

So I was able to get it for a several hundred less than KBB trade in value. I'll eventually end up selling it for the low end of kbb private party value, which will net me an actual profit of maybe $1k after its all said and done. There are LOTS of deals like that on CL. Just have to scour the ads
also need the ability to do the work. I could handle a window with a regulator (most likely). but, ball joints and bushings? Out of my league. Big time.
In your case, you'll turn a profit on a hobby and get free transportation to boot - that's a solid win.
If I bought the car? I'd probably spend more than the purchase price on tow charges!

You’re already out the $100 since it’s non-refundable. You gain nothing by canceling. Why not leave your options open since no matter what happens in the future, your quickest path to getting a Model S refresh is through the reservation you already have.

With all these delays and chip shortages across the industry, it’s not impossible that Model S refreshes could all sell at a huge premium in 4 months. Maybe you change your mind and decide you want the car or you could sell it for a nice profit. Worst case you refuse delivery whenever the Tesla monkey decides it‘s your turn to get your car built.
Give me a break. Does anyone really think Tesla could legally keep the $100 at this point? It is laughable.

so, for "sugars" and giggles, I used the chat function - where a friendly fellow named "Matt" "assisted me" - you can try to guess his country of origin, I doubt he was sitting in Freemont.
anyway, I asked with my RN, if my order was in queue, or if I'll have to wait until February or March like the new orders, etc.
This guy should be a Russian ambassador. Gave NO information, directed me to my SA (who on Saturday told me best spot for info is on my account page) adn when I said I'd consider changing from white interior to cream if no charge and speeds up delivery, he replied with I guess the party line, of "any changes will delay my delivery" - um, if i changed to 21" wheels would that delay? if i changed to a Plaid? What if I changed my socks?
So, the Tesla lack of communication is in full swing, but at least I was hoping to TRY to get SOME info.
Nope. Nada. Zilch. Nyet. No.
Not sure if I was clear.

Give me a break. Does anyone really think Tesla could legally keep the $100 at this point? It is laughable.
I think they're not entitled of they go beyond the estimated delivery date when you ordered, but their defense could be it was an ESTIMATED and not guaranteed date.
I do think the early dates given out in November or February may have been bad faith if it seemed clear they couldn't deliver.

Oh, much sooner than that my friend. Got a note into Brembo to nail down rotor specs and pad part numbers. Two piece rotors will follow soon after along with some pads with better initial bite. Wheels coming as well; I just need the new BT TPMS from Tesla before they can mount the tires. It's happening.
Please update us on the Brembo's. I wanted to do the same right after I take delivery. How's the Plaid been treating you?

is there a way to get something like this to the media, or have them try to snoop and probe?
as a consumer, I would say the estimated delivery dates are ESTIMATES and not promises nor guarantees - unless the company knew they could never meet those estimates - however when you order and it says estimated delivery, September to October - I think you have no recourse until October comes to a close - then if there's no end in site, I'd say you should be entitled to cancel the order and get your $100 back. In my case also a car charger.
However, the no communication part bites, and we're in the dark.
I'm not one who ordered in February and expected the car in March - those who did, and got rid of their cars in reliance, well, I'd be livid.
If I was a shareholder, I could bring a shareholder derivative suit against Musk - and that would force revealing why there were delays, etc.
Or, claim damages regarding lack of communication, misstatements, etc.
Tesla just posted over $1B in profits, so they're doing something right, but the WAY they're conducting business just seems foul.
Yeah. People on the board seem to think its lawful to market a car with knowingly false “estimates” because an estimate is not a promise. Good luck with that position in court!

For some of you finding yourselves (like i was facing) in a jam due to selling your Tesla, and now faced with potentially much longer delays.

Instead of renting a car, Consider (like I did) hunting through Craigslist for cars for sale from private sellers. I focused on the under $3k range, as there will be minimal (if any) depreciation loss risk on those over the next few months. Even better if the car needs some minor work that you can handle as a summer DIY project to keep yourself busy, but also pushes down the sale value for the seller. I found a 2005 C class benz with slight hood damage, some hail damage, non working power window (already fixed with a $30 new regulator from ebay and a youtube tutorial) totally worn ball joints and bushings up front that made the test ride clunky/and loose up front. (Fixed with a $85 ebay kit of new control arms which include ball joints/bushings over the weekend). Runs/starts fine, AC is cold, cooling and charging systems totally fine. She actually runs good now, just not the most attractive. But solid temporary transportation.

The dealer quoted the seller a price on those repairs that exceeded value of the car to fix when you factor in their price for parts and their high labor. And carmax was offering something crazy low to buy the car

So I was able to get it for a several hundred less than KBB trade in value. I'll eventually end up selling it for the low end of kbb private party value, which will net me an actual profit of maybe $1k after its all said and done. There are LOTS of deals like that on CL. Just have to scour the a

For some of us we were told our cars would be delivered literally in weeks. That date kept slipping, but still just weeks, until our dates just disappeared. Some states, Georgia included, make the purchaser of a car pay full sales tax on the car. Not just an affordable ad valorem tax but full sales tax.

Some of us have quite long commutes and I am not sure I would be comfortable in a $3k range used car driving ~100 mile a day on the expressway. I have already had to return 2 of my rental cars that needed oil and other routine maintenance due to my commute and weekend use.

The only saving grace in any of this madness is that I no longer have a car payment so the difference although not a wash is just enough to be really irritating.

You’re already out the $100 since it’s non-refundable. You gain nothing by canceling. Why not leave your options open since no matter what happens in the future, your quickest path to getting a Model S refresh is through the reservation you already have.

With all these delays and chip shortages across the industry, it’s not impossible that Model S refreshes could all sell at a huge premium in 4 months. Maybe you change your mind and decide you want the car or you could sell it for a nice profit. Worst case you refuse delivery whenever the Tesla monkey decides it‘s your turn to get your car built.
Yeah, I get it. I had already agreed to sell my current car to a family member around the time of anticipated delivery (first time Tesla buyer, I didn't know better). It's the lack of communication that drives me crazy. You don't need a PR department to spin anything.... just put a statement saying what the delay is from, timelines, and what you're going to do for customers.

I am sure I would love the Tesla if I waited around and got it. I'd probably be a repeat customer. But if I get strung along with no communication, I'll go get something else. I didn't NEED a nice MSLR. I wanted one.

Again, it's the horrible business decisions that blow my mind. It's a conscious effort by Tesla to keep customers in the dark. They must feel the demand for the car completely outweighs any cons from lack of communication.

4680’s are a long way away in my opinion. Elon said during the Q2 call that they have backup plans for nonstructural battery packs using the existing cells. The Semi delay, the Q1 remark about safety, and the Plaid+ cancellation makes it all seem like 4680’s won’t be here until late 2022 or 2023.

Oh, thanks for this info. I didnt get to listen yet to the call. So yeah, they are def not coming for at least another year, youre correct.