Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im praying you’re right. I placed my order on July 17th. It showed EDD of August. Then it changed to July 24th - August 8th. It’s has been shrinking ever since that date range. Today it shows July 31st - August 8th. So hopefully a VIN to come soon. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼.
Sounds promising to me, though you may not want to advertise too loudly when/if you get a VIN. People around here may lose their minds if they see you get a VIN when you ordered just a couple weeks ago. ;-)

It's a little different with the S refresh. The Model 3 LR and Model 3P have the same battery and dual motor set up so it was obvious Tesla was software limiting the Model 3 LR. Even though the S Plaid and S LR have the same battery pack (I think,) the 3 motors in the Plaid vs. the 2 motors in the LR should separate the two cars even if a LR acceleration boost ever comes out. Tesla can probably improve the S LR 0-60 acceleration by a half second (and the 1/4 by half second) but I doubt the LR will ever get into the 9s unless a third motor is added if that's even possible.
Agreed. Tesla has completely different powertrains in the LR vs. Plaid. Dual-motor is pretty much the best besides a single-motor for ease of range. And yeah, to be honest, the LR is not going to get a third motor or into the high 9s pretty much ever, unless the Plaid goes quad-motor at some point.

I'm convinced Tesla is sandbagging the LR to make a larger gap between its performance and the Plaid. We already had a 2.4 0-60 dual motor Tesla. I don't see why the hardware in the LR would not be capable of similar performance, and I absolutely expect Tesla to sell me a half second 0-60 upgrade in the future.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but all electric cars are essentially sandbagged. They all have a controlled torque delivery profile. It's a choice with many factors involved. Yes, one of them is level setting performance between model offerings.

Picked up my Plaid yesterday. Wow, she's a beast!!!

Just some minor trim issues I have an appointment for Tesla to look at.
But wow, what a fun car!

I was surprised that I feel the Model 3 stereo is more immersive and better quality, but not too big of a difference. I just expected to really be blown away.

Protip - When doing the inspection, you should also take pictures. We had the Tesla rep take at least over 10 photos of issues and then found out before we left that we need to take pictures ourselves again and submit a service request.

Here's some of the issues I've requested to be fixed.
(Oh and I've already tried removing the marks on the console material and it doesn't come off)

Attachments

• signal-2021-07-29-151807.jpg
    signal-2021-07-29-151807.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 125
  • signal-2021-07-29-144023.jpg
    signal-2021-07-29-144023.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210729_145720.jpg
    IMG_20210729_145720.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 65
  • signal-2021-07-29-151350.jpg
    signal-2021-07-29-151350.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20210729_142506.jpg
    IMG_20210729_142506.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20210729_142453.jpg
    IMG_20210729_142453.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20210729_142446.jpg
    IMG_20210729_142446.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20210729_142050.jpg
    IMG_20210729_142050.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 74
I was two weeks past the date showing on my order page before they finally capitulated and changed it. Only to change it again, and again, and again. Until they finally stopped with the lies, tore off the band aid and just made it go blank!!! Annndddd, here I sit, waiting!!
I was blank for a week until I have changed pickup location and EDD came back 🙂

But wow, what a fun car!

I was surprised that I feel the Model 3 stereo is more immersive and better quality, but not too big of a difference. I just expected to really be blown away.

Protip - When doing the inspection, you should also take pictures. We had the Tesla rep take at least over 10 photos of issues and then found out before we left that we need to take pictures ourselves again and submit a service request.

(Oh and I've already tried removing the marks on the console material and it doesn't come off)
Congrats !! And very smart to take pics while at the SC 👌
I'm convinced Tesla is sandbagging the LR to make a larger gap between its performance and the Plaid. We already had a 2.4 0-60 dual motor Tesla. I don't see why the hardware in the LR would not be capable of similar performance, and I absolutely expect Tesla to sell me a half second 0-60 upgrade in the future.
Agreed… Now that we’ve seen LR trap 130, it’s obvious that there’s a lot being held back. Epecially acceleration from a standstill.

But wow, what a fun car!

Nice, but man that car looks used already. Enjoy!

I really contemplated on Tesla Solar. Figured I’ll charge the car for free for the total win, but something tells me it might take two weeks to get it…
I got the solar before ordering the car. Similar experience, no communication/customer service but great product. Took 9 months from signing to install. Got a 11kw system with 3 PW. No regrets even though I was treated like a second class citizen 🤣

I'm not saying you're wrong, but all electric cars are essentially sandbagged. They all have a controlled torque delivery profile. It's a choice with many factors involved. Yes, one of them is level setting performance between model offerings.
I get that profiles are used to protect the hardware, but what about the LR would make you believe it can't handle the acceleration of a P100D? They didn't list the Plaid with rollout and the LR without by accident. They needed to upsell the Plaid. Those of you that talk car lengths in a 1/4 mile don't need to be upsold, but lots of regular folks need to be coaxed out of that 45K.

Unless I see definitive reasons why the LR can't pull a mid 2 second 0-60, I will believe it is solely to make the Plaid look better.

I get that profiles are used to protect the hardware, but what about the LR would make you believe it can't handle the acceleration of a P100D? They didn't list the Plaid with rollout and the LR without by accident. They needed to upsell the Plaid. Those of you that talk car lengths in a 1/4 mile don't need to be upsold, but lots of regular folks need to be coaxed out of that 45K.

Unless I see definitive reasons why the LR can't pull a mid 2 second 0-60, I will believe it is solely to make the Plaid look better.
I have to agree with you here. I could see over time with just SW or a 'uncorked' LR after the Plaid’s performance is improved, a 2.6 second 0-60, and maybe a 10.7 1/4 mile at like 132 mph. Like you said, this wouldn't matter to people who love the speed, but the general public would not get that there are many other changes to each one besides just the 0-60.

I have to agree with you here. I could see over time with just SW or a 'uncorked' LR after the Plaid’s performance is improved, a 2.6 second 0-60, and maybe a 10.7 1/4 mile at like 132 mph. Like you said, this wouldn't matter to people who love the speed, but the general public would not get that there are many other changes to each one besides just the 0-60.
So, a 2016 P100D did a 1/4 mile in 10.5 at 125MPH. It did this with a 2.28 0-60. The refresh LR is doing the 1/4 mile in 10.8ish at 130MPH,,,,but with a 0-60 of about 2.9. I think the LR is easily capable of a 2.4 0-60. I guess we'll find out in a year or so when they ask us to pay to remove the training wheels.
Capture.JPG

My first day plaid + order converted to a plaid will be delivered next week. White, black interior and CF interior - I am excited but I fully expect a track option announcement the following week.
Going on four days with mine and, apart from range, I have to agree with Elon that the + was not needed. This is enough.

I think the "healthiest" way to order a Tesla is take the targeted delivery date range with a grain of salt, make sure you have a reliable car, and wait to an email, call or text. PERIOD.
The unhealthiest way, which I think I mastered, is to check my account status when I wake up, go to sleep, and am bored during the day, and for extra punishment, come on these forums (where I learn a lot) but also get my hopes crushed, and vicariously live the deliveries and cancellations of the members, with some photos and videos and reviews thrown in for that extra dollop of torture.
Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way!
(I've seriously considered a mental health break - it's just a friggin car - about my 20th if you count what I've gotten my wife, kids, etc.) but dang, it's to be MY car - and though not my most expensive, by far my most technologically advanced and best performance.
In short, I want this beast. Okay, end of musings and foaming at the mouth.

I think the "healthiest" way to order a Tesla is take the targeted delivery date range with a grain of salt, make sure you have a reliable car, and wait to an email, call or text. PERIOD.
The unhealthiest way, which I think I mastered, is to check my account status when I wake up, go to sleep, and am bored during the day, and for extra punishment, come on these forums (where I learn a lot) but also get my hopes crushed, and vicariously live the deliveries and cancellations of the members, with some photos and videos and reviews thrown in for that extra dollop of torture.
Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way!
(I've seriously considered a mental health break - it's just a friggin car - about my 20th if you count what I've gotten my wife, kids, etc.) but dang, it's to be MY car - and though not my most expensive, by far my most technologically advanced and best performance.
In short, I want this beast. Okay, end of musings and foaming at the mouth.
I agree this is torture

Sounds promising to me, though you may not want to advertise too loudly when/if you get a VIN. People around here may lose their minds if they see you get a VIN when you ordered just a couple weeks ago. ;-)
I think config and location pays a huge part so one may have ordered back in April/May and get theirs after someone who ordered in July primarily based on location. IMO

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"

Finally have something other than July!!! Seeing so many Red cars get similar date ranges makes it seem like this could be the real deal 🤩 Just got the wall charger installed today and have a road trip in mid-August that this would be perfect for!

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 7.49.00 AM.png

P.S. Screenshot above has been edited so the car photo and delivery date fit in one shot. This isn't how the order page normally looks, but the EDD is there.

Last edited: