Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this is my 2nd Tesla vehicle. The first was in 2017 and the only options at the time were the S and X. Both were fairly high priced niche vehicles. The starting price of my S was $69,990. That experience was ok. From order to delivery was about 2 weeks but they found an inventory match that met my specs. Was $76,490 before tax as I ordered it...by no means an inexpensive car but about half the price of a fully loaded P100D at the time.

Fast forward to ordering a Plaid the weekend after attending battery day (RN11399). Quite the different experience. Seeing other orders made much later getting deliveries sooner does bite. But the way I see it, this is the first major refresh since 2017 where all you really got was a much better looking (IMO) front fascia and AP2.0 hardware. A lot of those older S owners that can afford a new S I'm guessing ordered. A lot of speed freaks that saw the specs ordered. A lot of people with enough spare cash that want the best of whatever saw the quickest production car ever made also ordered. Tesla also has a lot of additional attention now with the success of the 3 and Y.

Somebody once said that Tesla has democratized performance...anybody with the ability to afford a mid range vehicle can now have one of the quickest accelerating cars on the market with the Model 3. What beats that? The new Model S...and bonus it's a family sedan with storage to spare. Combine that with the global chip and supply line shortage and the known limitations on battery production and it's no wonder some of us are having issues getting our cars.

Depending on your color/trim/wheel/location combo you could be looking at a very confusing delivery estimate if you have one at all. I'm not far from the factory but white/white/carbon/19 seems to be a death knell combo for deliveries.

Sure, it would be fantastic if the SA's would have more information to provide to us. Transparency would help us all understand better when we can expect our cars. Tesla could definitely improve in this area. But in a world of extremely limited supply among one of the most highly demanded vehicles I find it hard to believe the "competition" with their stealership model, desperate to sell one of their aging models already sitting in their lot is in anyway a better system.

We're waiting in line for one of the best vehicles you can possibly purchase at a price unheard of by the incumbents among a global shortage of unprecedented proportions. I can only imagine Tesla is making as many as they can as fast as they can of their highest margin vehicles available. So as they say...patience is a virtue (as I refresh my order page for the 50th time today).

Not happening anytime soon. Expect November/December if you're patient. I'm canceling my order 1st week of October because I don't get the car during eoq push I don't want it.
Again, I’m being told mid-September to mid-October and although you ordered way after I did, we all know that makes zero difference in Tesla World. So, you may want to hang on until then; but I suppose if you don’t get a VIN by the 1st week of October, then you may be right about Nov or Dec. A little more patience and many white/white/cf MS Plaids and LRs may be coming by then.

Went to watch the sunset tonight and the way the red changes throughout the day really caught me eye! It’s insane how sexy this thing looks 😍

D591E2F3-4222-4677-9C6A-1732F0FC2375.jpeg

3BBACC13-1EEB-435F-AE43-E775F0295F76.jpeg

BC2DE308-57CB-4FA4-9EB4-CACAD1854933.jpeg

Also, the last question about trunk space made me realize I only sent photos with the back seats down, here’s with them up:

C64E588A-3075-4F8D-934B-804AED5E4BCA.jpeg

Went to watch the sunset tonight and the way the red changes throughout the day really caught me eye! It’s insane how sexy this thing looks 😍

View attachment 694073

View attachment 694076
View attachment 694079

Also, the last question about trunk space made me realize I only sent photos with the back seats down, here’s with them up:

View attachment 694088
It’s so nice! 😭 I’m pretty sure I won’t get mine until next month since my EDD went blank again. I forget, did you do PPF?

It’s so nice! 😭 I’m pretty sure I won’t get mine until next month since my EDD went blank again. I forget, did you do PPF?
No PPF yet. Getting that done this week on just the front bumper/fenders to help protect it while I lease it and that way it's in as good a condition as possible if I decide to buy after the lease ends.

Hoping the monkey gods don't keep you waiting for much longer! 🙏

Hello all. I was not checking for a bit. We made it home safely!
3000 miles in 3 days. Plaid is an animal. Feels awesome. Charging is crazy fast.
B9B4AB3D-1A69-46D5-AB49-6955DE70048E.jpeg
Here are some pictures.

The driving map also had some data from my previous X.

Attachments

• 9AAC11EE-788A-46B6-954D-D37793F1019C.jpeg
    9AAC11EE-788A-46B6-954D-D37793F1019C.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 08424680-BDC1-415C-A162-D1369AC686A3.jpeg
    08424680-BDC1-415C-A162-D1369AC686A3.jpeg
    692.7 KB · Views: 64
  • F5AC696A-9AAD-478F-855E-F3D8C1673DAA.png
    F5AC696A-9AAD-478F-855E-F3D8C1673DAA.png
    886.9 KB · Views: 75
  • C6AF0373-71EC-444E-A767-D17C1EFFC08E.jpeg
    C6AF0373-71EC-444E-A767-D17C1EFFC08E.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 70
  • 16EBA321-8651-46C5-A0F1-6F08E5A3FC48.jpeg
    16EBA321-8651-46C5-A0F1-6F08E5A3FC48.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 73
There’s a certain amount of irony in that the company that shoved compressed, crappy sounding music down our throats so that they could fit 50 million songs on an iPod is now offering lossless. I guess it was inevitable.
Well... they innovated lossless technology after all these years. Just like drop down notifications and widgets.

Good video showcasing a Plaid being prepped for another hill climb, this time by Electric Performance and driven by Blake Fuller

He dislikes the yoke more than I do, and they are already planning to do a Model 3 wheel swap to test, so perhaps I won't be the first to do it after all! I still plan to do the swap in mine, but also plan to have everything be fully functional on the wheel and the stalks when they are transplanted into my car. Just waiting on my order confirmation from Tesla Service to get the parts.

Edit: Btw, really nice view of the guts of the new S, and he shares some insight about the changes to the architecture/chassis that were very interesting. TLDW; the car looks nearly the same on the outside, but even the internal structure is very much new design.

Last edited:
Good video showcasing a Plaid being prepped for another hill climb, this time by Electric Performance and driven by Blake Fuller

He dislikes the yoke more than I do, and they are already planning to do a Model 3 wheel swap to test, so perhaps I won't be the first to do it after all! I still plan to do the swap in mine, but also plan to have everything be fully functional on the wheel and the stalks when they are transplanted into my car. Just waiting on my order confirmation from Tesla Service to get the parts.

Edit: Btw, really nice view of the guts of the new S, and he shares some insight about the changes to the architecture/chassis that were very interesting. TLDW; the car looks nearly the same on the outside, but even the internal structure is very much new design.
Looks like there is a casted piece in the rear but it isn’t the full rear. Just the wheel well.