Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Plaid last Friday and dropped it off this Monday morning at Mr. Tint in San Jose (thanks again @OnTheSnap for the recommendation!)

In just 4 full days of work, they installed XPEL Ultimate Plus Stealth PPF on the whole car, 35% XPEL XR+ tint on the side windows, and 70% XPEL XR+ tint on the windshield.

Total package was $6695, which is a very decent price for the Bay Area.

And here are the results! I really like how the matte gray and gloss black of the 19” aero covers are reflected in the now-matte paint and shiny “chrome delete”:

View attachment 704855
View attachment 704853
View attachment 704850
View attachment 704847
View attachment 704848
View attachment 704849
View attachment 704851
View attachment 704852
View attachment 704854
I always felt the Tempest weren’t as ugly as folks said. I think they look really good with your matte finish.

Got a detailing appointment for the following:

Xpel Full Front - PPF
Bumper
Full fenders
Full hood
Mirrors
Headlights

Xpel Track kit - PPF
Rocker panels
Using 10 mil Film

Xpel Fusion - Ceramic Coating
All painted surfaces
All PPF surfaces
All Glass
Wheels

Xpel XR Plus - Tint
Full windshield 70%
All windows (5%, 20%, 35% available)
70% Roof

Misc
1 step polish

Total price - $3600. Does that sound like an okay price?
It‘s right in the ballpark. Go for it.

Congrats! This is actually encouraging for many of us with Sept est delivery dates but still waiting for VINs. I’ve been told (by my local Tesla SC Mgr & RM) that it’s approx 3 weeks from VIN assignment to actual delivery here in FL (East Coast) BUT you received your VIN just 5 days (9/3/21) before the beginning of your estimated delivery date (9/8/21) and you’re in SC (East coast).

My Tesla account still shows Est Delivery date of 9/20/21 - 9/30/21 with no VIN yet, so it seems possible that people like me could also get VINs just a few days or a week before the beginning of our Est delivery date range.

What’s strange is that I was also told that they assign the VIN at the factory as the vehicle comes off the production line, before it’s put on a truck or train for transport to the US East Coast. Maybe this isn’t accurate or maybe it is but only takes 1-2 weeks and not 3 weeks? IDK, Tesla is just crazy! 🤡😝
As mentioned earlier, my SA said four hours ago no VIN but looking good by end of month. Then VIN. For the VIN followers MF441. Not sure what that means...

I picked up my long range at Chesterfield (St. Louis) this morning.

Delivery. About an hour before pickup I received a text saying I needed to make a final payment because they don’t accept certified checks. I responded by noting that the Tesla website states that certified checks are accepted and that’s what I had. The response was that’s ok, come on.

After that delivery was uneventful. My inspection found only a knotted rubber seam on the passenger side door and mud on the hood (poor detailing). I accepted the car.

Yoke. I almost canceled my order because I was convinced I would not like the yoke. I was wrong. I had no problem driving with the yoke and I love the visibility. The turn signals seemed intuitive to me. My only complaint is the horn. That is a horrible design. And I have no worm.

Performance. The car pulled badly to the left at the beginning of the drive. I drove from St. Louis to Little Rock (400+ miles). After calibration I engaged AP. The car never pulled left again. No idea why.

I’ve read all the reports here about the acceleration of the long range. I never doubted those reports. But you really have to experience it to understand it. I drove conservatively until our first charging stop. As we got back on the freeway I had a long empty space in front of me. I floored it. My wife screamed and then cussed me because I didn’t warn her. Later, when I was going about 75, she wanted me to floor it again. According to her count, we went from 75 to 105 in 3 seconds. The acceleration is just crazy fast. I can’t imagine what the Plaid feels like.

We went to dinner after we got home. I had a couple of drinks and my wife drove home. We had an empty stretch and I told her to floor it. She did, and even though she knew what was coming, she screamed again. The car is just a beast.

Bottom line. The car is fantastic. I’m 67 years old and I’ve never experienced anything close. I’m selling my Mach e to my daughter, on very good terms for her, and keeping the MS. I echo those who say the aggravation and agonizing wait is worth it.
SOOO glad you love it! Knew you would!👌😁

Just a couple more impressions.

This is my first Tesla. I’ve driven a couple of earlier Model 3s owned by friends. The interior was much too Spartan for me. That’s not true for the current Model S. The interior is very comfortable and in no way Spartan.

The ride is very comfortable and quiet.

Here’s the rub. How can a company that produces arguably the best car in the world suck so badly at customer service and communication? How many sales are lost because of that? I nearly canceled my order because of it. Tesla would be unbeatable and uncatchable if it had great customer relations.

Got a VIN!!! MF441

EDD still unchanged for the last week at 12-Sep - 22-Sep.

I was more expecting my EDD to push out rather than actually get a VIN (trying to keep expectations as low as possible), but this was indeed a great surprise!
huh.. after getting the VIN early this morning, this evening I saw my EDD narrow a tad - instead of 12-Sep - 22-Sep, it went to 15-Sep - 19-Sep 🤷‍♂️. Hopefully that means they booked it on a trip over to NC.

910359A6-30DC-4FD3-8ADA-B642D4A88D10.gif

Got a detailing appointment for the following:

Xpel Full Front - PPF
Bumper
Full fenders
Full hood
Mirrors
Headlights

Xpel Track kit - PPF
Rocker panels
Using 10 mil Film

Xpel Fusion - Ceramic Coating
All painted surfaces
All PPF surfaces
All Glass
Wheels

Xpel XR Plus - Tint
Full windshield 70%
All windows (5%, 20%, 35% available)
70% Roof

Misc
1 step polish

Total price - $3600. Does that sound like an okay price?
If they are wrapping edges, definitely a good price!. If they aren’t wrapping edges… find somewhere else

What does wrapping edges mean?
Some places I’ve found use pre-cut pieces, and these often end up leaving a tiny bit of exposed area around the sides - I think of it similarly to phone screen protectors that don’t cover all the glass. Murphy’s law….

whereas other places will use bulk pieces and cut away on the car, leaving extra PPF to wrap underneath edges - therefore no exposed area for Murphy’s law, but also no lines and less chance of peeling.

I won’t claim to be a pro at this, but I’ve been in contact with multiple shops and asking them about their method of PPF using either bulk or pre-cut, and what lines / edges they leave has been very revealing to me in terms of (likely) quality.