Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping to pull an @AnselmDante this morning.
1630753203727.gif

Just a couple more impressions.

This is my first Tesla. I’ve driven a couple of earlier Model 3s owned by friends. The interior was much too Spartan for me. That’s not true for the current Model S. The interior is very comfortable and in no way Spartan.

The ride is very comfortable and quiet.

Here’s the rub. How can a company that produces arguably the best car in the world suck so badly at customer service and communication? How many sales are lost because of that? I nearly canceled my order because of it. Tesla would be unbeatable and uncatchable if it had great customer relations.
Because they are of the S. Valley software company mindset. Customers are disposable and, up until now, they have been right. They would rather spend the effort on engineering than customers. They will also deliver half baked goods knowing (1) even at half baked, there is nothing out there even close (which I can say to you now as you have your car) and (2) they can fix a lot of the crap over the air.

It is not pretty and most certainly not to be admired but it seems to be "working" for now.

Just a couple more impressions.

This is my first Tesla. I’ve driven a couple of earlier Model 3s owned by friends. The interior was much too Spartan for me. That’s not true for the current Model S. The interior is very comfortable and in no way Spartan.

The ride is very comfortable and quiet.

Here’s the rub. How can a company that produces arguably the best car in the world suck so badly at customer service and communication? How many sales are lost because of that? I nearly canceled my order because of it. Tesla would be unbeatable and uncatchable if it had great customer relations.
Its been this way for awhile. They are choosing to focus on the technology and ramp up instead of customer service which IMO is a mistake but in all honesty after driving a Tesla, most people won't choose anything else, regardless of customer service.

Its been this way for awhile. They are choosing to focus on the technology and ramp up instead of customer service which IMO is a mistake but in all honesty after driving a Tesla, most people won't choose anything else, regardless of customer service.
As others have said, with no real competition that works. However, when the top legacy brands get their act together, Tesla will have to pivot. And I get it, manufacturing is hard, but keeping the customer in the loop isn't.

I added this to the 2021 S LR thread not realizing that thread was for long range models only. Putting it in this thread to help people that are still waiting and/or considering pulling the trigger.
----------------

My info for another data point. When I ordered mine, folks online had already figured out there were two things slowing orders down, white interior and 19" wheels. I avoided those hoping for a faster delivery. By faster I assumed Dec/Jan vs Mar/Apr. Little did I know I'd have a VIN 3 weeks after placing my order.
  • Placed order 08/04
  • EDD jumped all over the place for ~2 weeks, then stopped moving
  • After EDD didn't move for 3 days in a row I got a VIN on 08/23
  • EDD was set at 09/04-09/10
  • On 09/02 called Tesla to track the car to get a better idea of delivery. Was told the car would be in town on 09/07
  • Set delivery appointment for 09/09. I was told they want at least 48 hours with the car to go over it before delivery

Order details:
  • White Plaid
  • Black interior with carbon fiber
  • 21" wheels
  • FSD

My experience aligns with others. When my EDD stopped jumping around, I had a VIN a few days later.

Because they are of the S. Valley software company mindset. Customers are disposable and, up until now, they have been right. They would rather spend the effort on engineering than customers. They will also deliver half baked goods knowing (1) even at half baked, there is nothing out there even close (which I can say to you now as you have your car) and (2) they can fix a lot of the crap over the air.

It is not pretty and most certainly not to be admired but it seems to be "working" for now.

As others have said, with no real competition that works. However, when the top legacy brands get their act together, Tesla will have to pivot. And I get it, manufacturing is hard, but keeping the customer in the loop isn't.

They ****ed up for people like me though. I have no idea how the timelines are going to come together like this, but I'm still projected to get my model s in late October/November, but, Rivian has started their test driving program and I'll be able to drive one of those first. If that car is built well then that's the way I'm going, even if it is another year wait (probably go with a model 3 in the meantime). Tesla just rubbing me the wrong way all around

@lindell26 - wait, you got a plaid order in a month? LOL.