Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just musing here:

1. Speaker performance in all but the most recent software version (2021.35.5) is not great. With that version, it appears to be noticeably and meaningfully better, e.g. you can tell a subwoofer exists.
2. Cars generally arrive with older software, and take weeks to get on the update train.
3. Suppose you complain about speaker performance (and missing tri-zone climate, etc.) when taking delivery, and ask for the latest software to please fix.

What are the odds that SAs will oblige, under the circumstances?
Delivery Centers do not have the most recent software to update cars, which seems dumb.
Is FLAC via a USB not supported now? I can plug a USB in with only FLAC files, and it is playing them with no problems.
[Edit: maybe you mean via streaming from the phone?]
.flac is not currently supported in the refreshed S
My potential car has 13 miles. Is that alot? Thinking should be closer to 5.

441 vin
That is standard. Most have ~15 miles and Tesla used to always list 50 on delivery docs.
I had a VIN assigned to my Plaid for close to two months now. The delivery date was originally over six weeks ago and it keeps moving to another 1-3 days out every day. RN 1143 ordered Jan 15.

Anyone else have a VIN this long and no car sitting in their garage?
There is an issue with your car that Tesla should be working on. Talk to your SA or DS.

On this token,
I spent at least 2 hours with Rick Reus of Reus Audio. He demo'd Tesla tweeters vs his tweeters, he demoed his MZD demo car as well as a customers Non-Refresh Model S with his $4500 system.
A lot happened while I was there. Mostly not good, but I don't want to put that info on a public forum. If you'd like more info PM me.
Regarding his system vs the stock refresh system. TBH is sounded like a refresh car with a sub. nothing more. I, personally was very very unimpressed, and my visit really left a salty taste in my mouth.
Bottom line: I, personally do not feel their system is anywhere close to $5k (with tax) worth in upgrade. At. All. Not. Even. Close.

What this says about the refresh system: It's pretty f'n amazing. For reference, I've never had a car I did not upgrade the sound.
My previous MS had a full light harmonic upgrade with SQ sub, the it was a 3 vs the refresh 8.
Sounds like your MS will be the loudest and best sounding “silent EV” on the road! 😉. Cheers and enjoy!

Don’t feel guilt for a call somebody else made. Out of your control. Be happy😀
You are right. And TBH I didn't feel guilty enough to go back in line. :) It has happened to me twice now. Maybe there is something to the theory about paying full price plus FSD and getting your car faster...

If you have a car, I would just go to the service center. Have the conversation about Labor Day and getting the car moved.
Think someone mentioned they booked a delivery for Monday. So it is possible. Do not want to say blanket statement that they are opened Monday / holiday. Would ask the individual that is able to ping your car.

Maybe ask to move your delivery appointment up? Might trigger something in their system to move the car?

Just spoke to my delivery guy and he rescheduled my appointment to Monday

Just spoke to my delivery guy and he rescheduled my appointment to Monday
I have a LR sat in Chicago rail yard also…. But my advisor said wed/thur for delivery… then got a text to schedule w/ the earliest being Friday…. Would have loved a Monday delivery… but no way to get a cashiers check now till tue… going to be a long week waiting

I had a VIN assigned to my Plaid for close to two months now. The delivery date was originally over six weeks ago and it keeps moving to another 1-3 days out every day. RN 1143 ordered Jan 15.

Anyone else have a VIN this long and no car sitting in their garage?
@emailforbrett Sounds like it could be in a body shop getting repaired? Happens sometimes if damaged during shipment - and they don’t have to disclose it if the damage is less than a certain amount…. It might also may be being held for parts or something.

I have a LR sat in Chicago rail yard also…. But my advisor said wed/thur for delivery… then got a text to schedule w/ the earliest being Friday…. Would have loved a Monday delivery… but no way to get a cashiers check now till tue… going to be a long week waiting
Why do you need a cashiers check? You can pay online with your bank account. I thought they didn't take cashiers checks anymore (or at least they were being very difficult about accepting them)

I drove straight from the dealership for a little spa treatment in the form of full PPF, tint and ceramic. The owner of the shop has a M3P and will plug in 110v each night, which should be fine for the week it's going to be there.

The LR came in chill mode and I left it there for the busy interstate portion of the 25 mile drive to the shop. Once I got off of the interstate, I switched to insane mode and hit it twice from 30mph. The car is fast and traction is incredibly impressive. Tesla engineers are brilliant is my only thought.

Straight novice move not pairing my phone with the car prior to leaving, but the dealership was absolutely swamped with people taking test drives and accepting deliveries. They had approx 10 refresh S's with a nice mix of LR's and Plaids with both 19 inch and 21 inch rims. I just wanted to get out of there.

Once I arrived at the shop, I paired my phone to the car and app (so I can monitor activity this week). Good thing I paired the phone, because the shop owner texted me 30 minutes after I left because the card was locked inside of the car. 😂

My 2009 C63 AMG is a dinosaur--I'm trying remember the name of the slow and fat one. Stegosaurus! That's it! These are my initial thoughts during the limited time I spent in the LR. The software is old and won't likely see an update until I get the wall connector installed (I'm trying to push the 9/16 install date up).

As for imperfections, there were few. Panel gaps were good, all rubber gaskets fit well, and nothing noteworthy with the mirrors, doors or interior fit and finish.

The only issues included a few scratches under the driver's side front bumper, partially on the paint and also the protective plastic cover (see pic). They buffed them out for the most part. My shop is going to finish fixing the scratches prior to PPF. I have the worm and there is a very small scratch (maybe an 1/8 of inch) on the roof towards the windshield that wasn't enough for me to balk. Nothing else was noticeable to my eye. They are going to replace the plastic protection underneath and behind the front bumper.

Now the waiting game. I told the shop to take their time as I don't have the ability to charge at the house just yet. The owner said one week would likely be sufficient.

I know there are many folks who have waited longer or continue to wait. I don't know what happened that I got my car after three months, but I'm grateful and will be equally excited for others as they receive their S's. It's an unbelievable car. Cheers!
BF9E9F98-332A-4614-A572-0C8AE5536B08.jpeg
4E72C4EE-DD0A-47D0-AAC1-55ED63AD5EAB.jpeg
5504CC2A-ED0A-499F-BAA6-53F3D2A4E96C.jpeg

Last edited: