Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So wait how much for avg ppf price and is it totally necessary? I’ve had a bunch of cars and never did it but I’m not crazy about my cars. Am I like screwed without it? I don’t even know wtf ppf is… sorry noob.
Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info see that thread. Prices vary widely by location, installer, etc. Is it necessary? Some say no, some say yes. It is entirely your call and your money.

Thanks, that’s disappointing. Cars much cheaper have cross traffic alert. I think that is pretty important for safety, especially if someone runs a red light.
After watching the AI event (second FSD presentation) it is clear to me that Tesla is going to have their FSD stuff running all the time so they can identify situations where you did something they would not (or vise versa) It’s valuable data. If I am correct, all kinds of warnings about what others are doing around you are possible. It would be foolish for Tesla to have this data and not share it real time.

So wait how much for avg ppf price and is it totally necessary? I’ve had a bunch of cars and never did it but I’m not crazy about my cars. Am I like screwed without it? I don’t even know wtf ppf is… sorry noob.

I had never done it on any of my cars - they did not need it. They did not seem to be prone to the chipping.

I posted pics of my car after just 10k miles (mostly highway). The rear edge of the rear doors, the leading edge of the rear fenders, and the front bumper would have been bare by 30k miles at the rate they were progressing. These 21" summer tires pick up every rock and piece of gravel. Also had a semi kick up construction gravel on the highway 5 car lengths ahead of me but could not be avoided - it went on the hood. It took the detailer over 3 hours to touch-up prior to PPF. They paint seems solid but the surfaces are just high risk. I still think it is a racquet but I did it for the S because it needed it.

You decide for you - that is a lot of money.

Then there is this...

Delivery Appointment​

Sept. 18, 2021 at 11:00 AM
Palm Springs-Cathedral City
68080 Perez Rd
Cathedral City, CA 92234

I am FRICKING flying out of state for two weeks today. I might be able to do a quick trip on Sunday to inspect and take delivery.

I guess Elon final told me where my car is.
I have the same problem. Delivery window is 09/26-09/30. I am flying out 10/02 for two weeks. If they move my date it could be a problem.

I'm picking up on Monday, and am going to get a full PPF - question is, how bad of an idea is it to wait 10 days to take it in for PPF at the end of the month when I'm going out of town (rather than immediate, but only have it for a few days before going out of town)?

I know there is no definitive way to say it is 'safe' - but the reason I ask is that although there are fairly good roads around me, I'm worried about the rocker panel & rear wheel arches after reading and seeing the pictures of damage from folks.

Terrible idea to wait 10 days?
You could use this for the interim period…

After watching the AI event (second FSD presentation) it is clear to me that Tesla is going to have their FSD stuff running all the time so they can identify situations where you did something they would not (or vise versa) It’s valuable data. If I am correct, all kinds of warnings about what others are doing around you are possible. It would be foolish for Tesla to have this data and not share it real time.
All of this may be true, but in terms of rear cross traffic, Tesla has left out the required hardware. The rear mounted camera can't see what they would need to see to be effective, and the car doesn't have the radar sensors that are normally used to get rear cross traffic/pedestrian alerts. It's a shame.

And there is an extra LED that illuminates when you turn the steering apparatus in the direction of the headlight or if you engage the turn signal. That is the extent of the "adaptive" headlights. We (@epotter and I) noticed it a few weeks back and looked at. It does not turn and follow the degree of the steering apparatus like you would think of other auto-brands. But there is a separate light that will illuminate the direction as you turn or signal to turn that direction.
Yeah, there's definitely another light that lights up when you turn; I initially thought it was just turning on the fog light on that side but it does appear to be an independent LED. It does a decent job of illuminating the corner but I haven't seen any indication that it moves. Maybe it's like the center display, where there's an actuator behind it but they haven't finished the software part yet 😄

All of this may be true, but in terms of rear cross traffic, Tesla has left out the required hardware. The rear mounted camera can't see what they would need to see to be effective, and the car doesn't have the radar sensors that are normally used to get rear cross traffic/pedestrian alerts. It's a shame.

I agree. Pulling out between two SUV's is difficult because you cannot see until it is too late, The solution (other than obvious cross traffic) is to back in to every spot (which is not always practical).

My worst fear has come true. I'm out of town that week. Of all weeks across these 9 and 1/2 months!! Time to haggle with them on the phone. They open in an hour.

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 8.41.10 AM.png

Last edited:
My wife has it in her SUV, she told me it costs $20 a month. If that is true, I'm not gonna bother with it. I don't travel that much these days to warrant paying HBO prices for commercial free radio.
The price for SiriusXM is negotiable. Lots of sites out there discussing the techniques. I used to pay full price til I ran across one of the sites describing how to get the discounts. Basically you call to cancel and they will offer something less then you tell them what you are willing to pay. I ended up paying around $70 per year for many years. You just have to remember to call them and do it again before it renews at full price.