Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have buyers remorse after their purchase? I’ve never purchased something so expensive(besides a house) or a new car before. Like I’ve been wanting a Tesla for like 6 years and should be arriving this coming Saturday but I can’t help but feel so guilty that my anxiety has been a problem.
Maybe I’m just overthinking lol
Not for a second! I have had buyers remorse about plenty of things in my life but not my Plaid. I am buying into the "best car ever made" hype 100%. I love this car. Sometimes I just go for a drive to drive it. I am not alone in this feeling and I hope you feel the same about yours.

“Handling” such an all encompassing word. Will the Taycan win at auto cross? Streets of Willow? Big Willow? A slalom test? Or like Lola said,”feel”?

The Taycan Turbo with 40 percent less hp was only a few seconds slower around the ring, which is a high speed track. Handling is an all encompassing word. Steering feel/feedback, suspension rebound, body roll, grip, etc are all important. I love Teslas and they are great for what they are but it is silly to compare them to a Porsche in handling. The first 30 seconds of driving a Porsche and the steering feel, puts the argument to rest. Like I said, Porsche has been building race cars for decades. The Model S Plaid/LR is great ar many things and that’s why we are all buying them. It doesn’t need to be the best at everything.

Last edited:
The Taycan Turbo with 40 percent hp was only a few seconds slower around the ring, which is a high speed track. Handling is an all encompassing word. Steering feel/feedback, suspension rebound, body roll, grip, etc are all important. I love Teslas and they are great for what they are but it is silly to compare them to a Porsche in handling. The first 30 seconds of driving a Porsche and the steering feel, puts the argument to rest. Like I said, Porsche has been building race cars for decades.
I respect the Taycan, but 12 seconds is a lifetime in track times. It isn't a "few." And that record wasn't even real. It was during a private session, and it wasn't notarized or validated, so it is only recognized by Porsche themselves. Technically, the Plaid is actually the first to set this record and to be officially recognized by the Nurburgring. I could see the road and track manners for the Porsche, but the Plaid kicked its butt around the track, even with its "sloppy handling." And it wasn't just power either, as most of the time, the driver couldn't use all 1,020 hp.

Last edited:
I have a lot of friends that think Tesla owners are douchey.

Yup. First encounter with a Tesla owner in ‘16 gave me the exact same impression. Guy was the epitome of a pompous rich dumbass snob. From those I have met at SuperChargers and elsewhere I’d say that wasn’t a fair sample.

I respect the Taycan, but 12 seconds is a lifetime in track times. It isn't a "few." And that record wasn't even real. It was during a private session, and it wasn't notarized or validated, so it is only recognized by Porsche themselves. Technically, the Plaid is actually the first to set this record and to be officially recognized by the Nurburgring. I could see the road manners for the Porsche, but the Plaid kicked its butt around the track, even with its "sloppy handling." And it wasn't just power either, as most of the time, the driver couldn't use all 1,020 hp.

Porsche lapped their Taycan Turbo not even the Turbo S. I don’t think they need to prove anything. Most Porsche buyers understand how well they handle and brake. 12 seconds on a 7 and a half minite track is not much for a car that has almost TWICE the horsepower. I’m not saying the Plaid isn’t impressive but to say it handles better than a Taycan is silly. That’s just blind brand loyalty. I have driven and ridden with a professional driver around a track in a Taycan Turbo S on a track, it’s a different animal. The Plaid would destroy a Taycan Turbo S in a straight line and in comfort. They are built for different purposes. If the Plaid was built for the track it wouldn’t have crappy brakes. Like I said earlier. A model S Plaid does not need to be the best at everything. Why are you guys so defensive about your cars? Next you are going to tell me the brakes are better too?

Porsche lapped their Taycan Turbo not even the Turbo S. I don’t think they need to prove anything. Most Porsche buyers understand how well they handle and brake. 12 seconds on a 7 and a half minite track is not much for a car that has almost twice the horsepower. I’m not saying the Plaid isn’t impressive but to say it handles better than a Taycan is silly. That’s just blind brand loyalty. I have driven and ridden with a professional driver around in a Taycan Turbo S on a track, it’s a different animal. The Plaid would destroy a Taycan Turbo S in a straight line and in comfort. Like I said. A model S Plaid does not need to be the best at everything. Why are you guys so defensive about your cars? Next you are going to tell me the brakes are better too?
What I was saying is that this is a big achievement for Tesla. And they didn't even get to use that power most of the time! So having more power or not doesn't really factor in. And what do you mean about Porsche not wanting to prove anything? The moment anyone comes in and beats their record, they scramble to go and reclaim it. Has happened many times over the years. That's why a certain Japanese car by the name of the Nissan GTR pissed them off so much. Imagine what a company that is 18 years old is doing! I doubt they will be able to beat the Plaid even in its current state, much less after torque vectoring and 200 mph is unlocked, unless they bring that new quad motor powertrain that's in development. In feel, the Tesla may not be there, but in actual ability, it may be a different story.

Only thing is that you're getting the MS LR, not the Plaid. Are we all sure the MS LR has the exact same suspension as the MS Plaid? @lolachampcar
Tesla hates using more parts than absolutely necessary so I ASSUME the suspension is identical between the two. I'll let you know for sure when Elon decides to deliver my wife's LR (at which point we can be properly identified as a dysfunctional house given there will be BOTH a Plaid and a LR in the garage).

Yup. First encounter with a Tesla owner in ‘16 gave me the exact same impression. Guy was the epitome of a pompous rich dumbass snob. From those I have met at SuperChargers and elsewhere I’d say that wasn’t a fair sample.
There are pompous rich dumbass snobs driving almost ALL cars. I remember vividly back in 1976, I was driving a '75 Porsche 914 2.0 liter and drove with my gf to dinner at Red Lobster. The ONLY parking place was next to a guy driving a new '76 Porsche 924. It was tight, but I thought if ANYONE would respect my year old car it would be another Porsche driver so I got it in there. When we came out from dinner I had a note on my windshield from the 924 owner saying, "When you can afford to drive a REAL Porsche, you'll realize you shouldn't park this close to one. I was rolling over in laughter!! While Porsche fanatics will point out that the 914 was a joint development between Porsche and Volkswagen and is not considered a "true" Porsche, the 924 was a joint development between Porsche and Audi and is not considered a "true" Porsche by many either. Typical pot calling the kettle. I wish we could have both gotten to ours cars at the same time so I could "inform" him that his pomposity was sadly misplaced.

Anyone else have buyers remorse after their purchase? I’ve never purchased something so expensive(besides a house) or a new car before. Like I’ve been wanting a Tesla for like 6 years and should be arriving this coming Saturday but I can’t help but feel so guilty that my anxiety has been a problem.
Maybe I’m just overthinking lol
You cannot put a price on your eternal happiness, especially if you have never owned a Tesla before 😀

@drdonger have you driven a Taycan and Plaid back to back on the same track? I don’t really care about the 100 years of pedigree a modified GT3 carries to the track. A brake, wing, and tire upgrade will do amazing things for the Plaid.

I’ll let you know on Thursday when I get my MSLR, how the handling is. But I’ve driven a Model 3 performance and to compare the handling to a Porsche is a joke. I’m sorry but Tesla steering and handling feel is numb. Yes brakes, a wing, tire upgrade and modified suspension will do wonders for a Plaid, but we are talking about the cars handling as is. You guys are such fanboys it’s hilarious. Can’t handle that your car isn’t the best in every category.

@drdonger have you driven a Taycan and Plaid back to back on the same track? I don’t really care about the 100 years of pedigree a modified GT3 carries to the track. A brake, wing, and tire upgrade will do amazing things for the Plaid.
As entertaining as that feedback would be, I prefer to listen to Pobst talk about the Plaid knowing how much seat time he has in most of the Porsche models.

The Plaid and Porsche (pick your model) are very different cars. I have no doubt most any Porsche would be more fun around a track. Perhaps that is the deffinition of handling. I'm also reasonably comfortable saying the Plaid can hold its own same driver same track. If that is your definition of handling then the two are similar.

The Tesla was always dinged for being a straight line one trick pony. Those days are gone and the car now holds it's own on several fronts. As to which is "better", that is a beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing and I'm not going to tell anyone else what they should think is beautiful. I can say that my 3,000 lb weekend car with a reasonable pedigree is no longer seeing the love with the new Plaid in town. Perhaps the newness will wear off and we will go back to the way things were but I'm not feeling it.

Touching on the beauty thing just a bit more, you will not catch me dead in a GT3. Way too much noise and boy racer suspension for me. The engine is in the wrong place; well engineered but in the wrong place. I'm more of a cross linked hydraulic suspension that makes a carbon tubbed car feel reasonable on city streets kinda driver. That said, I would never try to take a GT3 away from its owner. It is a deep passionate love affair.

And I gotta point out that a Porsche driver talking about other people defending their particular love of car has a good measure of irony :)

Last edited:
I’ll let you know on Thursday when I get my MSLR, how the handling is. But I’ve driven a Model 3 performance and to compare the handling to a Porsche is a joke. I’m sorry but Tesla steering and handling feel is numb. Yes brakes, a wing, tire upgrade and modified suspension will do wonders for a Plaid, but we are talking about the cars handling as is. You guys are such fanboys it’s hilarious. Can’t handle that your car isn’t the best in every category.
You haven’t even driven one and you know what it’s like? Hilarious that you equate a P3 with the Plaid. You generalize all Porsches and all Tesla’s as behaving the same because of the badge.

Now the comparison has to be bone stock? come on man, what track going Porsche owner doesn’t modify his car.

You haven’t even driven one and you know what it’s like? Hilarious that you equate a P3 with the Plaid. You generalize all Porsches and all Tesla’s as behaving the same because of the badge.

Now the comparison has to be bone stock? come on man, what track going Porsche owner doesn’t modify his car.

A few forum members and reviewers have states the M3P handles better. It weighs less and is more nimble. I track my GT3 and it has stock brakes, suspension and tires, the only upgrade is a roll bar and harness for safety. There is a reason you don’t see Teslas at the track. Different cars for different purposes. Yes I am generalizing. Every Tesla I have dricen has the same steering feel. I’ve driven them all except the new Model S. I’ll report back to you Thursday but I doubt my opinions will change, it’s just how Tesla’s suspension is designed. Tesla is designed to be a daily driver that can be sports car. Porsche is designed to be a sports car that you can daily drive. Anyways I’m over it if you guys think your Teslas handle better than a Porsche. Continue being fanboys.

To quote a wise man, "Can we just agree to disagree and let this go? It's all relative. I am happy for those of you out there that are happy with your LR's. I am also happy for those of you out there that are happy with your Plaid. I'm just waiting for me to be happy with a Plaid with 4680's. Then we can be just one big happy Tesla family?" Can't we? Just to be honest though, I haven't seen any Plaid owners looking down their noses at the LR owners. The great majority of posts on this subject are LR owners telling Plaid owners that they massively overpaid for something they didn't need. While that's true, it IS their prerogative, so if spending their money as they see fit doesn't fit well with you, just let it go. It's THEIR money, not yours. You get to complain only if they spend your money. Otherwise, let's all come together as one. A happy Tesla family whether you drive an S, and X, a Y or 3, you are ALL part of the Tesla family and should not begrudge another's purchase choice.
I really wanted the +. Or the Plaid with 4680s. Why? The former for the performance. The latter for the range. Duh.

I’ll be driving to San Diego often over the next -two years to visit one of my sons. I wanted a car that could get me there, about town a bit, and back on one charge. Comfortably. And at speed.

It’s 134 miles one way. If this Plaid can do it. I’m good.