Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your signature says you're in the Bay Area, I've heard of EOQ stories from CA to the tune of people getting a call in the afternoon of the last day of the quarter, asking if they can take delivery at 11pm. I wouldn't guarantee it at all, but I wouldn't lose hope either.
Last quarter, I got a call at 8 pm asking me if I wanted a midnight delivery. I was at a birthday party and a bit drunk but agreed nonetheless and had to wait till morning to take the new car out for a spin.

Same here - in Southern CA. Shifted from Sep 23-30 to Sep 26-30 this morning. Plaid Black/Black/CF/21"/FSD RN1144xxxxx
Same here too. I am another Southern CA order and I entered my EDD period 3 times this month already only to have it change to a later EDD range one day after. They're just stringing us along so they have insurance that all the cars they can get to our areas can be sold and delivered to someone before EOQ. My SA in the mall where I ordered the car told me I was slated for October production (similar to the EDD I got after the Tesla apology email) so I figure the constantly moving EDD this month is Tesla keeping me on as a backup buyer for other orders like mine.

I have had too much time to think about this purchase. If I had the car, I would be suffering from confirmation bias which would balance out any buyers remorse. Now all I have is buyers remorse.

It's getting me to look at some significant competition that is finally coming out. In addition to Lucid (too limited supply and likely more QC and other issues being not only a first model year car but a first car ever for this manufacturer), MB released EQS US prices and they are very competitive. Did MB make the EQS cheaper than the ICE S class? If so, it was a good shot across Elon's bow for the more luxury minded EV buyer.

Timeline so far:

EDD post Tesla apology email: 9/30-10/20
Shortly after: 9/20-9/30
About Sept. 1: 9/18-9/29
Sept. 10: SA said matched to Oct. production/delivery
Sept. 11: 9/15-9/29
Sept. 16: 9/18-9/27
Sept. 19: 9/21-30
Sept. 22: 9/24-30
ARGH!!!

MSLR, MS with black, 19" wheels, no FSD, Ordered May 1 in mall, RN1148

Same here too. I am another Southern CA order and I entered my EDD period 3 times this month already only to have it change to a later EDD range one day after. They're just stringing us along so they have insurance that all the cars they can get to our areas can be sold and delivered to someone before EOQ. My SA in the mall where I ordered the car told me I was slated for October production (similar to the EDD I got after the Tesla apology email) so I figure the constantly moving EDD this month is Tesla keeping me on as a backup buyer for other orders like mine.

I have had too much time to think about this purchase. If I had the car, I would be suffering from confirmation bias which would balance out any buyers remorse. Now all I have is buyers remorse.

It's getting me to look at some significant competition that is finally coming out. In addition to Lucid (too limited supply and likely more QC and other issues being not only a first model year car but a first car ever for this manufacturer), MB released EQS US prices and they are very competitive. Did MB make the EQS cheaper than the ICE S class? If so, it was a good shot across Elon's bow for the more luxury minded EV buyer.

Timeline so far:

EDD post Tesla apology email: 9/30-10/20
Shortly after: 9/20-9/30
About Sept. 1: 9/18-9/29
Sept. 10: SA said matched to Oct. production/delivery
Sept. 11: 9/15-9/29
Sept. 16: 9/18-9/27
Sept. 19: 9/21-30
Sept. 22: 9/24-30
ARGH!!!

MSLR, MS with black, 19" wheels, no FSD, Ordered May 1 in mall, RN1148
Same here my date keeps changing... but ive seen people with EDD next year for white interiors that ordered around same time I did. But many others got thiers earlier.... Tesla logistics doesnt make sense.

For a guy with a Porsche GT3 (and tracks it) and some experience behind the wheel of a Porsche Taycan, I'm surprised you didn't order the MS Plaid instead of the MS LR. Regarding handling, the suspension may be the same in the LR as the Plaid but the LR doesn't have Torque Vectoring...not sure how much better the handing is with the Torque Vectoring, but I know with my previous Porsche Turbo, it seems like Porsche thinks it's pretty important to have for the car's suspension and good handling characteristics. Anyway, enjoy your new car.
I love how varied the perspectives are on this forum. It's awesome to see folks discuss the finer nuances of handling vis a vis torque vectoring in high performance suspensions and read comparisons between the Model S and top-of-the-line BMWs, Mercs, Audis, and Porsches.

AND I can't wait to share my experience as an EV newbie coming from an '07 Altima that leaks oil like a sieve, shudders and chokes under acceleration, and shakes so violently above 70 MPH that I don't know whether I should schedule a trip to the chiropractor or cancel my next one because the ride already cracked my back into submission.

Update on my issues:

Originally I had a mobile appointment for Tuesday but Tesla moved it to Oct 28th. Dropped by the service center to see if they could fix my headlight and stereo/bluetooth mic today since it is a brand new car, they said the service is closed for a week and a half for EOQ deliveries. Better hope your car doesn’t break down during the EOQ. Service/sales advisor called me and basically said my issues were not urgent and to wait until Oct 28th. This whole buying experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. This will be my first and last Tesla. When I bought my Porsches they took a cover off of it and made it a grand experience. My sales rep called me the next day and asked if I had any issues and how rhe car was. With Tesla they just dropped off a broken car and left. I asked if I could return it and they said they got rid of the return policy. Definitely double and triple check your cars before you take delivery guys. In states where you have to pay first, you are sol.

Same here my date keeps changing... but ive seen people with EDD next year for white interiors that ordered around same time I did. But many others got thiers earlier.... Tesla logistics doesnt make sense.
While most people is getting earlier, my EDD just got pushed back by more than a month. New EDD is 12/20-1/9 from 11/17-12/9. Man Tesla really like to tease people.

Update on my issues:

Originally I had a mobile appointment for Tuesday but Tesla moved it to Oct 28th. Dropped by the service center to see if they could fix my headlight and stereo/bluetooth mic today since it is a brand new car, they said the service is closed for a week and a half for EOQ deliveries. Service/sales advisor called me and basically said my issues were not urgent and to wait until Oct 28th. This whole buying experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. This will be my first and last Tesla. When I bought my Porsches they took a cover off of it and made it a grand experience. My sales rep called me the next day and asked if I had any issues and how rhe car was. With Tesla they just dropped off a broken car and left. I asked if I could return it and they said they got rid of the return policy. Definitely double and triple check your cars before you take delivery guys. In states where you have to pay first, you are sol.
The flip side of your story is a friend of mine had his model 3 display the error "Unable to charge - communication error". He tried 2 different wall chargers, the mobile charger, and then drove to a supercharger - all gave him the same error. With only 19 miles of range left, he had to have roadside come pick his car up and tow it to the nearest SC. The central "Helpdesk" that triages service tickets told him they wouldn't be able to fit him in until March 2022. He asked them "surely that's a mistake, I can't be without my car for 6 months", to which they replied "if you can find a sooner appointment, you can pay to have the car towed there" - following bad with worse. The next day, the service department contacted him and gave him a date 3 weeks out in October... then the day after that, they looked at the car and had it fixed that day and ready for pickup. From 6 months to 4 days.

The problem Tesla has is they have way too much demand for their current scale. As an owner, I hate that it makes everyone rushed and removes the joy from the delivery process. As a shareholder, I love that there seems to be insatiable demand for their products.... They sorely need to expand service though (for the cars AND the customers).

Update on my issues:

Originally I had a mobile appointment for Tuesday but Tesla moved it to Oct 28th. Dropped by the service center to see if they could fix my headlight and stereo/bluetooth mic today since it is a brand new car, they said the service is closed for a week and a half for EOQ deliveries. Better hope your car doesn’t break down during the EOQ. Service/sales advisor called me and basically said my issues were not urgent and to wait until Oct 28th. This whole buying experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. This will be my first and last Tesla. When I bought my Porsches they took a cover off of it and made it a grand experience. My sales rep called me the next day and asked if I had any issues and how rhe car was. With Tesla they just dropped off a broken car and left. I asked if I could return it and they said they got rid of the return policy. Definitely double and triple check your cars before you take delivery guys. In states where you have to pay first, you are sol.
Yea, as much as I appreciate the simplistic “pick it up” experience. I think it’s far from grand and definitely leaves a “we don’t really care just get your car and gtfo” feeling. The EOQ is just a crap show and should not have to happen if the quarter was ran the way it should’ve been. My service appointment is on Monday, been waiting for 1.5 months, let’s see if they reschedule it due to EOQ.

For those who have yet to receive your cars, you’re patience is likely to pay off.

Last Monday (9/20) I took delivery of My Plaid (built 9/9/21) - 363 days after I reserved my MS Plaid(+) on 9/22/20.
For those of you who may have missed my recent posts, here’s a recap…
My car appeared perfect to me.
Went straight to my PPF installer for a full wrap & Ceramic coating…

Sent this text to the installer 2 days later:
“Have you noticed any imperfections? Now that you had more time with the car.
Paint, panel gaps, interior...?”

His Response:
“Nothing crazy so far, or at least nothing we haven't been able to correct really easy.
Out of all the S plaids we've had down here, yours is definitely in the best shape.”

My point is that it seems likely that Tesla has now turned the corner on getting things right in the production ramp.
Or I’m just even luckier than I think.
I’ve seen a lot of complaints about issues here on TMC. Hopefully you’ll all get a better finished product going forward.
I only spent an hour or so with the car.:(
I can’t wait to get it back from Alset, the installer. All I can do is watch my Delivery Day video shot over again.
If you missed my delivery day video, here’s the link again:
Tesla Model S PLAID Delivery Day!
Same here, and mine was built in August (VIN: MF438.) Besides the yoke worm, no other issues. Love my car 😍..

Yea, as much as I appreciate the simplistic “pick it up” experience. I think it’s far from grand and definitely leaves a “we don’t really care just get your car and gtfo” feeling. The EOQ is just a crap show and should not have to happen if the quarter was ran the way it should’ve been. My service appointment is on Monday, been waiting for 1.5 months, let’s see if they reschedule it due to EOQ.

I hope they don’t reschedule you. I’ve looked for appointments in Plano and Fort Worth also. Everywhere is filled. I guess as a shareholder demand is a good thing but as a new owner of a car that is 1 day old, it is pretty frustrating.

Update on my issues:

Thats sucks bad! How is "one headlight not working" not an urgent issue? I will have what that guy is smoking.

The flip side of your story is a friend of mine had his model 3 display the error "Unable to charge - communication error". He tried 2 different wall chargers, the mobile charger, and then drove to a supercharger - all gave him the same error. With only 19 miles of range left, he had to have roadside come pick his car up and tow it to the nearest SC. The central "Helpdesk" that triages service tickets told him they wouldn't be able to fit him in until March 2022. He asked them "surely that's a mistake, I can't be without my car for 6 months", to which they replied "if you can find a sooner appointment, you can pay to have the car towed there" - following bad with worse. The next day, the service department contacted him and gave him a date 3 weeks out in October... then the day after that, they looked at the car and had it fixed that day and ready for pickup. From 6 months to 4 days.

The problem Tesla has is they have way too much demand for their current scale. As an owner, I hate that it makes everyone rushed and removes the joy from the delivery process. As a shareholder, I love that there seems to be insatiable demand for their products.... They sorely need to expand service though (for the cars AND the customers).
They don't give a loaner while your friend's vehicle is unable to charge?