Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you wanting to black out your front emblem, it is pretty easy. It comes off with 3 screws. I sanded it down with some fine grit sand paper then cleaned it with alcohol. I used a couple coats of Krylon satin paint and 3 coats of Krylon Gloss black paint. Take your time with it. I started with very light coats before I did wet coats. It came out perfectly smooth gloss black.

5DF6AB13-7A1C-4FB8-B8E2-21EBD176EC83.jpeg
AE27BA23-C998-4594-B81A-E5F967C9B8F4.jpeg

I do wonder based on your feedback if Tesla had to get a new supplier for the white seats, and that the construction and "comfort" factor may be impacted. I say this because I have test sat a few Plaids an LR refresh S's at local delivery center and found the seats to be super comfortable. This was for a 10-20 minute mediation, not a few hour journey, so I'm not drawing any conclusion until I get serious butt time in mine. I do hope yours break-in and make you and gf happy with the acquisition...I know it will bother me if the seats are meaningfully less comfortable than the 750 I'm giving up.
I can tell you the refresh seats are infinitely more comfortable than my AMG seats I am giving up. 😂

For those of you wanting to black out your front emblem, it is pretty easy. It comes off with 3 screws. I sanded it down with some fine grit sand paper then cleaned it with alcohol. I used a couple coats of Krylon satin paint and 3 coats of Krylon Gloss black paint. Take your time with it. I started with very light coats before I did wet coats. It came out perfectly smooth gloss black.

View attachment 715239View attachment 715242
Thank you for the information - can a replacement emblem be ordered? I want to do this but am a stickler for being able to go back to original in case I change my mind.

Need some PPF guidance/recommendations here for when the car gets delivered... Got the below quotes on a full matte wrap, leaning towards the more expensive one as their customer service has been superior so far and the shop looks a lot cleaner/put together.

Detail Authority - $6,500 XPEL Ultimate Plus (+ headlights/fog lights)
APS - $5,500 Suntek Ultra Film

As far as I know... Detail Authority removes cameras and everything so the PPF sits behind them (don't know what common practice is here?). Anyone in the DC Area have experience with either company and is there really any reason I shouldn't go with the cheaper option? Same warranty on both.

Appreciate any information at all... First Tesla, never heard of PPF before this forum... help.
You can get full Suntek Reaction PPF, Suntek or 3M ceramic tint and ceramic coating for less than the Detail Authority quote at HP Racing in Glen Burnie, MD. They removed cameras and front license plate for PPF and even ceramic coated my wheels. Couldn't be happier.
C3DB2D6A-EE71-4507-814E-28CDAD6EE0D5.jpeg

Thank you for the information - can a replacement emblem be ordered? I want to do this but am a stickler for being able to go back to original in case I change my mind.
You can—it’s easy. There’s a website— epc.tesla.com. You login with your standard Tesla.com login. It gives you access to the parts book for your car. You can order the parts directly by typing out your request on your Tesla app for your car by clicking Service, Schedule Service, Other to place the order or you can call your local Service Center Parts or Service depts. Alternatively I’m happy to send you the front one I removed from my MS if you want it.

Attachments

• 27A6021E-4AE1-429F-A6E9-1A64332B89DB.png
    27A6021E-4AE1-429F-A6E9-1A64332B89DB.png
    414.8 KB · Views: 49
You can get full Suntek Reaction PPF, Suntek or 3M ceramic tint and ceramic coating for less than the Detail Authority quote at HP Racing in Glen Burnie, MD. They removed cameras and front license plate for PPF and even ceramic coated my wheels. Couldn't be happier.
I’ve never understood why the PPF costs what it does. The actual labor is a day. Is the material actually that expensive to produce or is it a ludicrous markup driven by the car value!

Cool video, very impressive.. Of course I was happy the plaid won but I really thought the 1000whp McLaren was going to win that first race lol.
I thought the guy said 1000 hp at the crank. Very cool video.

I do believe a better driver would have closed the gap significantly. I think I recall Dragtimes videos with 1k hp 720s that broke into the 8s. Perhaps that was an actual 1k to the ground though, definitely a better driver.

the 19” Tempest is about 9 lbs lighter each wheel than the 2021 heavier Arachnids. times 4, and then times the factor of 1.6 suggested by the engineering article for wheel difference (even a bigger factor for tire difference) yields a ~57 lbs static weight savings equivalent. lighter weight forged wheels will yield even more.

A recent Plaid record 1/4 mile run at 9.08 was driven by a 130lb woman to save about 50-60 lbs from the weight of the average guy (they had other weight savings too).

50 lbs alone probably gets somewhere between half a tenth and just under a tenth in the 1/4. Tesla Plaid Channel found close to a tenth in the 1/8th with the lighter 19”, although the driver may have been about 40lbs lighter too, so the two together might explain the tenth.

Remove 50 lbs static or static equivalent 3 or 4 times (wheels, driver, backseat) and you get close to 8.x. in the 1/4

View attachment 714788

The results are only meaningful if they swap the wheels on both cars and rerun all tests. One car may be inherently faster than the other so wheel size might be irrelevant.

I’ve never understood why the PPF costs what it does. The actual labor is a day. Is the material actually that expensive to produce or is it a ludicrous markup driven by the car value!
simple. People are paying it. Supply vs demand. To me, far too pricy ($6500 can literally get you fresh paint respray of entire car) and (based on my experience with many other vehicles over the years/the condition of those vehicles when I sold them), totally unnecessary with the exception of possibly front bumper and hood. I've had cars that were decades old with original paint and no PPF, and were in fine shape when sold.

IMG_5531.JPG

IMG_5575.JPG

Last edited:
@GrnSqrl Tire swap? What are you having done? What SC?
@jebinc , this is the long awaited Summer to AS tire swap promised at delivery on 8/25. Devon PA SC. Interestingly, I had speculated a few weeks ago about what Tesla would do with the Pirellis after the swap. They offered to bag them up and give them to me, so I accepted.

Show us the pic after installed or it didn’t happen!
Fixed that for ya!
It’s actually a “plaid” markup!

Pre-cut PPF from Xpel costs around $2k for the full body for Model S. You're mostly paying for the labor cost. I have never had it installed on my cars. I think I would have considered it had it not been upwards of 7-8K. I'd much rather spend that much on something else, may be FSD 😂

You can get full Suntek Reaction PPF, Suntek or 3M ceramic tint and ceramic coating for less than the Detail Authority quote at HP Racing in Glen Burnie, MD. They removed cameras and front license plate for PPF and even ceramic coated my wheels. Couldn't be happier. View attachment 715281
having never done PPF- many talk about Xpel- have you tried both? Does the Suntek offer the satin finish for full body cover?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Pre-cut PPF from Xpel costs around $2k for the full body for Model S. You're mostly paying for the labor cost. I have never had it installed on my cars. I think I would have considered it had it not been upwards of 7-8K. I'd much rather spend that much on something else, may be FSD 😂
Nice new profile pic, @umair239 🤣🤣

Last edited: