Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried uploading the video a few times but I can't seem to get this forum to accept it. It was a Range Rover that backed into me. He was only about 3 feet away when he started backing up, but his bumper sits much higher than mine, so he caught my trunk lid as well. I have a lot of worries right now about this guy making good on paying for it. I have a few windows of availability to keep an eye on right now with regards to reporting the accident and/or making an insurance claim. Hopefully this al resolves within the next two weeks.

Here's two screen shots from my phone, showing the distance he started from, and then the impact.
View attachment 716651
View attachment 716653

I didn't notice it at first, but he caught the lip of the trunk lid and bent it.
why not report it to your insurance company, provide them this video/his contact info, and let them handle?

think of Tesla like a savant! Awesome in engineering, crap at everything else!

I would soon add manufacturing to that. The awesome side, that is. Look at their production ramp-up and how they have progressed and innovated in under a decade. And most of it vertically (internally).

Do they still have quality issues, no doubt. But no one can deny that they have one of the most tightly coupled NPI (new product introduction) programs in the world. They design to manufacture.

Last edited:
I would honestly have lot of trouble deciding between white w/ CF or cream w/ CF. The white has a really exotic and happy feel to it, so I'd probably do that, but the cream is super classy, and probably more practical for daily use.
@2021plaid Yeah… my solution to that 1st world issue was to have one with white interior and the other with cream. ;)

Agree with you there. The performance does take a hit below 60-70% charge. For me I noticed it when I was driving at 64% charge and pushed the pedal. The car felt almost like my P100D at 90% charge. I was expecting a tad bit more out of it at around 60% charge considering Tesla has been boasting about that power curve on this thing.
Sure this isnt in your head? Im almost positive Dragtimes did a video with a plaid at like, 30% (or less) charge and there was almost zero drop off in performance as noted by the actual dragy itself

I was expecting a tad bit more out of it at around 60% charge considering Tesla has been boasting about that power curve on this thing.
The power curve Tesla was boasting about was how they maintain power as the vehicle speed increases. They never said/showed anything about how the power curve would change with a lower SoC... (Though from all the reports I have seen that is very good as well.)

They are a bunch of tech geeks trying to build products. They suck at logistics and customer service, bumbling could be a better description. I knew that going in. No surprise. Moving dates and delivery failures also MEH. Not going to pretend getting the car was going to be a perfect experience or even close. That would be lying to myself. Not about to do that.
Agree about customer service.

Disagree about logistics from a production and internal planning perspective. Managing supply chain while constantly innovating is like Elon said ‘changing the tires on a moving car’ (not exact quote).
  • Logistics is a differentiator
  • As is design
  • As will be manufacturing

If my delivery holds to my current EDD, I’ll have waited 5 months. 4 months shorter than i waited for my kids. And when this car aggravates me, I can sell it. I tried that with my kids and I couldn’t pay people to take them. It’s worth the wait.
I got EOQ EDD in mid Sept, but my SA kept telling me it's not going to be ready until October. She was right so that EDD was just a goal for tesla?

With this car, you have to deal with the *sugar* before delivery. With kids you have to deal with *sugar* after delivery.

So I took delivery of my Long Range a couple of days ago and my life is forever changed. The delivery experience was kind of hilarious. I'm a baby-faced 30 year old (as of last week) and when asked if they could bring the car to my house early I told them, "I have class at that time..." The delivery guy was utterly confused. When he showed up I walked out in flip flops and my Arizona State University sweatshirt and he had no idea how to handle me. I guess I'm a bit of a unique customer in Monterey, CA. I get similar looks from other Tesla drivers in my area whenever we make eye contact at stop signs. I swear I look like a kid that stole his dad's car and feels the need to go from 0-25 in .2 seconds from stop sign to stop sign just because it's fun to do... That said, for the first two days I was driving around on the "chill" acceleration mode without realizing there are better options. Today I discovered "insane" and I know it's no Plaid acceleration, but wow does it feel good.

Anyway, the car was in great shape when I took delivery. There was a small tear in the rear seat upholstery but that's an easy trip to service to get it fixed up. I just hope they don't hold my car hostage for 3 weeks to fix it!

Yep! I paid ~$5.5k for full xpel PPF (10mm ppf on rocker panels) minus rear hatch, xpel ceramic coating and full xr plus tint on all windows + paint correction
Would you mind sending me a PM where you had that done? That seems like a more reasonable price, I think I'm sitting around 6.5k for the same. Although I was having the entire car wrapped, so maybe that was part of the larger price.

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
OMG I have to share this lol! The screaming/grunting is so over the top! 🤣
Sounds like they are pooping, screaming, and puking at the same time!
*Puts the Plaid in Cheetah Stance* "3.2.1....." "GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!"

check this out

I would soon add manufacturing to that. The awesome side, that is. Look at their production ramp-up and how they have progressed and innovated in under a decade. And most of it vertically (internally).

Do they still have quality issues, no doubt. But no one can deny that they have one of the most tightly coupled NPI (new product introduction) programs in the world. They design to manufacture.
Umm … sure :) that’s why we have 4 colors… manufacturing genius fo sho!

Umm … sure :) that’s why we have 4 colors… manufacturing genius fo sho!

During the high volume production of the T during 1914-1925, Ford only offered the car in black for a run of almost 15 million vehicles. Speculation was that the 'japanning' process (baked enamel) only worked on black. Another was that black dried faster. Either way, the color choice was driven by the need for efficiency in manufacturing (and cost). One color achieved that. The efficacy can be argued but the intent cannot be denied.

The point is that Tesla is in its infancy when it comes to manufacturing. Whatever they can do to increase velocity of production while they are still constrained by capacity (sales exceeds production) makes some sense. They are also introducing the same level of innovation as they do with their designs. These things take time and iterations of failures before they are good to go. Granted, some of this is also introduced too early and customers end up with issues.

And again, I am not denying their quality has a long way to go. Nor am I not wishing more color choices were available. Want better or another color? Pick a different manufacturer. For now, they've got us (or at least me) by the balls.

I've been in operations/manufacturing leadership for almost 30 years. If you think they don't know what they are doing, that's fair enough. I can respect that. My opinion is quite different.

Last edited:
I love my red. I think I would have regreted any other color.
View attachment 716690View attachment 716691
I went with white to match my Walls. lol. Yes, I'm anal like that.

IMG_9713.JPG