Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know of any BLACK wheel locks compatible with oem Tesla wheels and other wheels with the same lug size? Thinking about getting black titanium lug nuts BUT I also want 4 wheel locks as well. I could, however, have my oem Tesla wheel locks (bought from the Tesla Shop online) painted BLACK I suppose although I'm sure any paint or wrap or whatever would come off after the 1st time putting the wheel locks on or taking them off.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks.
Never mind. Researched and bought these black Gorilla wheel locks (14mm x 1.5mm x 1.62") AND the Signature/Secret-EV Performance titanium black lug nuts.

Got all my missing delivery items today, trunk pieces, and rear license plate frame. Pleasantly surprised to see new Tesla OEM plate frame is now black. View attachment 716834
How long did it take for you to recieve pieces? Im still waiting for privacy shelf and license plate bracket.. i also got go ok for AS tire swap.. Be nice to get it all cleared up soon

I tried uploading the video a few times but I can't seem to get this forum to accept it. It was a Range Rover that backed into me. He was only about 3 feet away when he started backing up, but his bumper sits much higher than mine, so he caught my trunk lid as well. I have a lot of worries right now about this guy making good on paying for it. I have a few windows of availability to keep an eye on right now with regards to reporting the accident and/or making an insurance claim. Hopefully this al resolves within the next two weeks.

Here's two screen shots from my phone, showing the distance he started from, and then the impact.
View attachment 716651
View attachment 716653

I didn't notice it at first, but he caught the lip of the trunk lid and bent it.
Thought I would update whoever is following what has happened to my car:

I spoke with Tesla about the additional damage to the trunk lid. Tesla said they can replace the bumpers, but the lid is beyond their capabilities, and referred me to a collision center.

I went to the collision center, and upon closer inspection, we realized the lid wasn't just dented at the bottom center. The trunk lid no longer aligns with the right rear fender and "jumps" on the right side when it auto closes. The owner of the shop said based on that, I am looking at an estimate of around$5-7K to rebuild the lid.

I returned to Tesla to get more guidance. They offered to sell the bumper, pre-painted, directly to me. This way I can have the shop working on the lid install the bumper without having to paint it (Tesla policy is only a SC can order and install pre-painted body panels).

So now I am waiting on the collision center to get back to me with a quote on the trunk lid and bumper installation. I then have to approach the man who hit me with the cost of the bumpers, the repair and installation estimate from the shop, and the cost of reapplying ceramic coating to the new surfaces.

One of the most surreal things to happen to me was at the Tesla SC. I had been talking to Brent for several days by phone before showing up in person. When he saw me he said "I really want to give you a hug right now, because I can see it in your eyes how much this is weighing on you."

I still have not spoken to the person who did this since it happened. I'm not looking forward to telling someone who initially said "You can buff that out", that this is going to cost around $8k.

I spoke with Tesla about the additional damage to the trunk lid. Tesla said they can replace the bumpers, but the lid is beyond their capabilities, and referred me to a collision center.

I went to the collision center, and upon closer inspection, we realized the lid wasn't just dented at the bottom center. The trunk lid no longer aligns with the right rear fender and "jumps" on the right side when it auto closes. The owner of the shop said based on that, I am looking at an estimate of around$5-7K to rebuild the lid.

I returned to Tesla to get more guidance. They offered to sell the bumper, pre-painted, directly to me. This way I can have the shop working on the lid install the bumper without having to paint it (Tesla policy is only a SC can order and install pre-painted body panels).

So now I am waiting on the collision center to get back to me with a quote on the trunk lid and bumper installation. I then have to approach the man who hit me with the cost of the bumpers, the repair and installation estimate from the shop, and the cost of reapplying ceramic coating to the new surfaces.

One of the most surreal things to happen to me was at the Tesla SC. I had been talking to Brent for several days by phone before showing up in person. When he saw me he said "I really want to give you a hug right now, because I can see it in your eyes how much this is weighing on you."

I still have not spoken to the person who did this since it happened. I'm not looking forward to telling someone who initially said "You can buff that out", that this is going to cost around $8k.
sorry man you are going thro this. such a hassle. hope it all gets fixed soon

How long did it take for you to recieve pieces? Im still waiting for privacy shelf and license plate bracket.. i also got go ok for AS tire swap.. Be nice to get it all cleared up soon
I've been checking periodically since pu in early Sept. with no luck. A few days ago I put in service request from app and they confirmed the next day and then showed up yesterday.

Picked up my 2021 MS Tuesday. Back Wednesday. My 2017 S doors closed very easy. The new car takes a lot more effort to close. Service person said that's right they all do. I think it may have to do with making the car more soundproof inside. ??
This kind of reminds me of when I took my P85 in a long time ago.

Me: The right headlight fogs up on the inside when I wash my car.
Tesla: That's normal.
Me: OK, the left headlight doesn't fog up when I wash the car.

That’s why you call your insurance company the day it happens with the information of the person who hit you. You’re setting yourself up for misery if you haven’t reported it.

One more bit of fodder - I was so pro lease and anti purchase because my current car was rear ended. Perfect repair job, but since I reported to the police it is on carfax and I will take a maybe $5k to $10k but when I sell.
you need to put it through if this guy won’t step up. Without police May skip car fax.

Ouch! That must hurt! e-hugs to you.
I hope you are planning to file for diminished claim since thats a quite a big one which might hurt resale.
And how is there so much damage when this guy “backed” into your MS?

One more bit of fodder - I was so pro lease and anti purchase because my current car was rear ended. Perfect repair job, but since I reported to the police it is on carfax and I will take a maybe $5k to $10k but when I sell.
you need to put it through if this guy won’t step up. Without police May skip car fax.
Yeah me knowing the person AND the fact that cash from him will avoid a carfax are my two motivations right now. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a jerk.

Ouch! That must hurt! e-hugs to you.
I hope you are planning to file for diminished claim since thats a quite a big one which might hurt resale.
And how is there so much damage when this guy “backed” into your MS?
He was in an SUV that sat higher than my MS. So even though he was only two feet away, his 5000 lb car was stopped by my car. He never hit the brake. So the trunk and rear bumper absorbed the full weight of his vehicle.

Two different body shops said bumper replacement was the cheapest and best solution. That cost would only have been around $2300. The trunk lid adds a whole new level of labor costs. I most likely have to either buy the shell of trunk lid, and have the body shop transfer everything to the new shell, or the body shop has to figure out how to reshape the trunk to make it fit properly. Either way it is very labor intensive at $125 an hour.

That’s why you call your insurance company the day it happens with the information of the person who hit you. You’re setting yourself up for misery if you haven’t reported it.

I've learned this lesson the hard way...

Edict to wife and all three sons.
  1. Make sure everyone is safe.
  2. If anyone is hurt, call 911 immediately. Worry about fault and/or damages later.
  3. Call our insurance with all details and other driver’s license and insurance. Can always not file a claim. But best to have all details upfront.
  4. If other party is uncooperative or fleeting, call police with plate number. Do not chase.
  5. Take pictures.
  6. Call me.
  7. Under no circumstances admit fault.