Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two Lucid showrooms near me. I finally went in one the other day. I also just went to their website and watched their demo videos. It is an amazing vehicle, though I must agree with you. It looks like a slightly cleaned up version of an old-style Lexus sedan. Totally bleh. When I see one of those boring Lexus’ , I know not to drive behind one, as the person driving it is probably pushing 80 (or much higher).
Will you please quit talking about me?

Sadly, Tesla has a long history of screwing over people on late model trade ins.

What I've done is simply search available inventory at ev-tsla.com for your specific model. You'll likely find them at tens of thousands more than the trade in value. Print out the list and share with your adviser and hope for the best. If they persist, then you have to private party sell it on Cars.com, eBay, CarMax, Vroom, Carvana, etc.

In our case, it's a about a $30k spread on a ~7k mileage 2019 Model S Performance: now selling for low $100's/high $90's at Tesla.com. Tesla's trade-in offer is an amazing insult at ~$74k. (And, yes, it's our fourth or fifth MS with FSD; what a waste of sooo much money.)

Adding insult to injury: in our state (Texas) we DO get credit on sales taxes for traded-in cars. Thus, it's a great set up for double taxation because Tesla persists in raping its best customers.

Elon: please fix this. "Great products, terrible company" is becoming true at Tesla.

See:
www.ev-tsla.com
Tesla is not alone in screwing over people on late model trade ins.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I'd love to trade the wife's dino (MB S 560) for an EQS. Did not know you could get a VIN so quickly.
We didn’t either. We were initially told delivery would probably be fall of next year. But things progressed quickly and the dealer told us we will have one of the first EQS in the mid-south.

I greatly prefer under promising and over delivering.

Are you able to do that? Mine is currently set for Santa Barbara delivery, but I'd rather pick up in Camarillo (I'm in Ventura).​

Talked to another SA, and she said you could not change delivery location once a VIN is assigned.

Horrible experience for my friends today. A mile away from the store the steering went out. And just about everything else.

One more turn and they would have been on the 101, crashed for certain. Both hands not enough to turn, passenger had to help.

They would not accept return of the car.

Can find very few failures of steering on MY or M3. Maybe bad steering sensor or ground cable.

Friends wife is scared and doess not want the car.

They got a 75D loaner...

@aerodyne,

Thanks for the heads-up. Re steering. That sucks for your friend. I am appalled that this happened and the muted reaction from the delivery personnel. I will go by there before my delivery date and have a chat with JP.​

@Valis,

Given Aerodyne's statement above, I called Ownership Loyalty team at (844) 458 3752 and changed my location to Camarillo. I don't have a VIN yet.​

Talked to another SA, and she said you could not change delivery location once a VIN is assigned.

Horrible experience for my friends today. A mile away from the store the steering went out. And just about everything else.

One more turn and they would have been on the 101, crashed for certain. Both hands not enough to turn, passenger had to help.

They would not accept return of the car.

Can find very few failures of steering on MY or M3. Maybe bad steering sensor or ground cable.

Friends wife is scared and doess not want the car.

They got a 75D loaner...
While not necessarily on topic, we've had EPAS failures on at least two of our MS's. Always intermittent, but occurred most recently for a full 20 minutes or so on our 2019 MS Performance. After a short stop of about 20 minutes, problem completely disappeared . . . fortunately, the car recorded many faults, as confirmed by our telcon with Roadside Assistance.

The killer aspect: it occurred at highway speed and the MS is an absolute beast to steer without EPAS, as in it's so hard that most drivers would report "the steering locked up" when it didn't actually "lock up."

Fortunately, having had decades of experience in aviation, and plenty of high performance driving classes, I'm arguably among the best of Tesla's owners to have these sorts of life-safety failures.

The bigger issue is why these sorts of failures haven't yet been prevented. It's either going to have to be dual or triple EPAS motors, controllers, etc., or some other solution, but these critical systems, at least on the Raven and pre-Raven MS, are not what I would call fault-tolerant or fail-safe by any stretch of the imagination . . . .

Elon: get on this problem, stat, please. This lack of redundancy will become a nightmare that will set FSD back for years.