Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You said you printed out all of the old documents with the VIN on it. So you could check.
VINs are different but my Tesla reps explained that the old VIN was “thrown away” and won’t be used; they claimed that it was due to shortages of some parts (not sure which ones). I’m not sure if that’s all true or not but that’s what they told me. If so, then I have to wonder if the vehicle is the same but now with a different VIN after they possibly added whatever parts were missing to complete production of that vehicle. IDK, just guessing; it’s probably a completely different vehicle than before.

Jesus Christ. Build quality reflects on safety too. Like when they used to ship out cars with missing bolts and *sugar*. Very scary. I purposely will be taking back roads when I get my car, just like last time, just to make sure everything looks/feels solid. Hopefully they can get it fixed and then just sell it.

On a separate note:

@omarsultan - wanted to follow up on your post about Tesla sandbagging range/specs. What's your theory here? I believed this prior to deliveries, but wh/mi seems to line up with a 100kwh pack to get the EPA range (which it seems most don't). Are you saying the packs are software locked to 100kWh?
So, the consistency of my car bothers me--I have made 0-60 runs on the same strip of asphalt and an regardless of variables (SOC from 100% to 40%, hot pack, cold pack, hot tires, cold tires, ambient temp from 100+F to 45F) and it turns in the same 2.3 sec time (no rollout). That tells me it is not anywhere near the edge of its design envelope otherwise something would give somewhere--the 2.3s is a managed number.

On the efficiency side, I think there is some similar gamesmanship going on, at least with the LR. The pack in these cars is still a bit of an enigma, so 🤷‍♂️

I think Tesla is doing Tesla and collecting real word data to see where they can loosen the reins, but also getting the completion to show its hand a bit.

I could be delusional, but that's where my head is at.

So, the consistency of my car bothers me--I have made 0-60 runs on the same strip of asphalt and an regardless of variables (SOC from 100% to 40%, hot pack, cold pack, hot tires, cold tires, ambient temp from 100+F to 45F) and it turns in the same 2.3 sec time (no rollout). That tells me it is not anywhere near the edge of its design envelope otherwise something would give somewhere--the 2.3s is a managed number.

On the efficiency side, I think there is some similar gamesmanship going on, at least with the LR. The pack in these cars is still a bit of an enigma, so 🤷‍♂️

I think Tesla is doing Tesla and collecting real word data to see where they can loosen the reins, but also getting the completion to show its hand a bit.

100% agree! Especially when you take into account that better tires and wheels are often as fast or slower. The car is being limited to a specific figure. Even when it is fully unlocked, it likely will be as consistent. I've seen rumors that Plaids likely with drag tires inside of Tesla are achieving 1.80 to 1.84 second 0-60s, and LRs were at somewhere between 2.6 and 2.7 seconds. This is not the case when customers are putting really specialized tires on their Plaids, and I suspect that it almost never will be, as there has to be some incentives for the Roadster.
Performance car people who actually know to look beyond 60 will know the difference between a mid to low 8 second car vs a 9 second car, but the majority of press and media may not.

Regarding range, I truly believe that Tesla was achieving game changing numbers with the MS test mules, but didn't want to show their hand too early. It's likely that they went, " OK, we achieved our targets and then some, but let's dial it back, and set benchmarks still. Now we wait for the competition."

While not necessarily on topic, we've had EPAS failures on at least two of our MS's. Always intermittent, but occurred most recently for a full 20 minutes or so on our 2019 MS Performance. After a short stop of about 20 minutes, problem completely disappeared . . . fortunately, the car recorded many faults, as confirmed by our telcon with Roadside Assistance.

The killer aspect: it occurred at highway speed and the MS is an absolute beast to steer without EPAS, as in it's so hard that most drivers would report "the steering locked up" when it didn't actually "lock up."

Fortunately, having had decades of experience in aviation, and plenty of high performance driving classes, I'm arguably among the best of Tesla's owners to have these sorts of life-safety failures.

The bigger issue is why these sorts of failures haven't yet been prevented. It's either going to have to be dual or triple EPAS motors, controllers, etc., or some other solution, but these critical systems, at least on the Raven and pre-Raven MS, are not what I would call fault-tolerant or fail-safe by any stretch of the imagination . . . .

Elon: get on this problem, stat, please. This lack of redundancy will become a nightmare that will set FSD back for years.

In this case, the steering did not lock up, but was very hard to turn at speed, and stopped required all my strength.

Can't believe there has not been any NHTSB reports on this. Much worse than the common broken bolt recall of years back.

At least one report on the M3 forum of an accident due to steering failure.

100% agree! Especially when you take into account that better tires and wheels are often as fast or slower. The car is being limited to a specific figure. Even when it is fully unlocked, it likely will be as consistent. I've seen rumors that Plaids likely with drag tires inside of Tesla are achieving 1.80 to 1.84 second 0-60s, and LRs were at somewhere between 2.6 and 2.7 seconds. This is not the case when customers are putting really specialized tires on their Plaids, and I suspect that it almost never will be, as there has to be some incentives for the Roadster.
Performance car people who actually know to look beyond 60 will know the difference between a mid to low 8 second car vs a 9 second car, but the majority of press and media may not.

Regarding range, I truly believe that Tesla was achieving game changing numbers with the MS test mules, but didn't want to show their hand too early. It's likely that they went, " OK, we achieved our targets and then some, but let's dial it back, and set benchmarks still. Now we wait for the competition."

hmm... hmm...

Well @2021plaid - with the Air delivering this month (supposedly), unlocking another 50-100 miles of range now would be the perfect time to do it, could cause some cancellation of orders.

At the same time, lead times for Model S LR show June for my build currently, so no real point in adding anything in either.

@omarsultan - my WAG on your statement is more to do with the new motor design than battery pack, maybe that's what you meant, that the motors are more powerful and can spin faster than they do even now.

I think some of the twitter kids were spreading rumors like wildfire before the unveil and so far literally zero of what they said has come true, 4-5 months later. I could see Tesla launching a paid acceleration boost like they have before with the 3/Y, not sure I see them sticking extra batteries in there in hopes of getting a couple grand more at a later point.

My WAG: they probably had more range planned, along with the tilting screen, ambient light, and new security system we never got and starting cancelling *sugar* last minute to get it out the door. probably add those features late next year.

Hello all. I ordered in January and I am still waiting for a VIN. My dates got pushed back on Saturday from Oct to Nov.

Sorry man, you have the most common build on order, MSM and Black interior and you’re on the left coast. Are you sure you’re not on Elon’s enemy list or something 😀
Yeah, no kidding. You should have had your car long ago. Are you leasing, by chance? I'm just curious if that may be a factor.

Hey potentially dumb question here... but the long ranges delivered recently to me and others, are they 2021, or 2022s? Does Tesla even do years on their cars? I keep getting asked what year my car is and I don't know how to respond without being condescending.
Look at the 10th digit of your VIN. If it is an M it’s a 2021 if an N it’s a 2022.

spoiler alert- it will be an M (2021) if you have it already. Hopefully starting 2022s with production happening now.

hmm... hmm...

Well @2021plaid - with the Air delivering this month (supposedly), unlocking another 50-100 miles of range now would be the perfect time to do it, could cause some cancellation of orders.

At the same time, lead times for Model S LR show June for my build currently, so no real point in adding anything in either.

@omarsultan - my WAG on your statement is more to do with the new motor design than battery pack, maybe that's what you meant, that the motors are more powerful and can spin faster than they do even now.

I think some of the twitter kids were spreading rumors like wildfire before the unveil and so far literally zero of what they said has come true, 4-5 months later. I could see Tesla launching a paid acceleration boost like they have before with the 3/Y, not sure I see them sticking extra batteries in there in hopes of getting a couple grand more at a later point.

My WAG: they probably had more range planned, along with the tilting screen, ambient light, and new security system we never got and starting cancelling *sugar* last minute to get it out the door. probably add those features late next year.
If there was an increase, I'm quite sure Tesla would wait for the '22 model year, as unless they rename the models, the EPA won't retest the cars IIRC, and Tesla couldn't quote it. (Case in point: LR to LR+ to rate at 402 miles, and the '21 range increases for the M3.) So that could be quite soon, as the new year is coming quick!

If there was an increase, I'm quite sure Tesla would wait for the '22 model year, as unless they rename the models, the EPA won't retest the cars IIRC, and Tesla couldn't quote it. (Case in point: LR to LR+ to rate at 402 miles, and the '21 range increases for the M3.) So that could be quite soon, as the new year is coming quick!

I hope so! I also hope they decide to replace the tail and headlights. :cool:

Has Tesla even discussed changing the headlights or taillights? They just refreshed the car. I doubt any of this happens.
Haha new are you to the beauty and madness that is Tesla HW changes! ;) They'll do major like the refresh, then minor and minor right after. There is no rhyme or reason, and like @Tigers says, anything that didn't originally make it to the refresh will come later.

Reactions: impastu and Tigers
Has Tesla ever discussed changing the headlights or taillights? They just refreshed the car. I doubt any of this happens.

Care to make it interesting? They are just going through the last of the inventory for some of this *sugar* and are 100% going to replace it probably around Q3/Q4 next year after the supply chain starts to get a bit better and demand starts to level some. No new crazy designs, but they are going to swap some of these components, absolutely.

Haha new are you to the beauty and madness that is Tesla HW changes! ;) They'll do major like the refresh, then minor and minor right after. There is no rhyme or reason, and like @Tigers says, anything that didn't originally make it to the refresh will come later.

They seemingly aligned the interior rear door panels already, that’s a production tweak :)

0-60 is too short. Try finding a safe place to take the car to ~132 mph. This will get you data on 0-60, 60-130, 1/8th mile, and 60 foot time. And if you have another 3 seconds and 20mph then go to 152 for the quarter mile.

Care to make it interesting? They are just going through the last of the inventory for some of this *sugar* and are 100% going to replace it probably around Q3/Q4 next year after the supply chain starts to get a bit better and demand starts to level some. No new crazy designs, but they are going to swap some of these components, absolutely.
Sure - $100 says no substantive change to the highlights or taillights before 9/30/22. Changing bulbs doesn't count. The change must be substantive. Deal?