Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow Tesla sucks. So now they are wanting to move my deliveries to the end of next week. A tire has a nail in it on one car and no trunk covers, keys. I’m only taking one car so I’ll have 3 tires but only need 2. I just want to get the car to PPF since that takes a week… told me on Thursday night so one days notice… I was expecting this so did not bother getting a bank draft yet. Sigh…

Satin Black powder coated 19's, 700 bucks I think they look prett
Satin Black lipstick, I think looks pretty good on my pig....
Awesome car. I love the wheels. I also love the lawn. I think I have the same lawn and driveway. If I ever get my car. I will post same view.

Took delivery of the car today, and I’m actually really impressed with the build quality. They must have made some changes since the end of quarter push, or I have a great copy. I brought the checklist of all the issues to look out for and nothing came up!

The power on the long range is pretty extraordinary. We are coming from a 2018 p75d that I drive hard and my wife doesn’t even flinch. I did a 0-100mph run and she actually screamed. The difference in power makes our p75d seem like a Honda Accord, with a huge bump in high end power. I’m really glad I went LR and not plaid.

If anyone in LA wants a ride to hold them over the long wait, I’m happy to meet up.

Took delivery of the car today, and I’m actually really impressed with the build quality. They must have made some changes since the end of quarter push, or I have a great copy. I brought the checklist of all the issues to look out for and nothing came up!

The power on the long range is pretty extraordinary. We are coming from a 2018 p75d that I drive hard and my wife doesn’t even flinch. I did a 0-100mph run and she actually screamed. The difference in power makes our p75d seem like a Honda Accord, with a huge bump in high end power. I’m really glad I went LR and not plaid.

If anyone in LA wants a ride to hold them over the long wait, I’m happy to meet up.
P75D? Not sure I knew those were made

There is a rattle that is faint and I believe is from the rear seat latches. Really just noticed recently (I think because the brake light rattle was so loud) so I am doing some testing.
I suspected the rear seats as well. Two more pieces of info. The rattle is much louder when adults are in the rear seats. The rattle goes away completely when both rear seats are down. I'm pretty sure it is the rear seat latch on the bracket that has some play. The seat is not pre-loaded enough against the bracket so it sits there and rattles. The flippin car is so quiet in comparison to my P90D that I hear all the little annoyances.

Have you asked them to Price Match Carvana's offer, or is Tesla being just that stupid (again) and won't do that any longer?

If so, then I'm boggled as we're in the same boat: trade-in value from Tesla on our '19 MS Perf w/8k miles is some $25k to $30k LESS than the same, or older/higher mileage MS Perf's on EV-TSLA.com. And, yes, both of our MS Perf's have the pre-paid FSD that we've been scammed with for the last four or five years now.

Elon: Tesla's trade-in values are a true insult.
This has been going on since day one (or at least early on). There have been multiple examples for me but this one was the most agregious.

Tesla started using a single source for trade ins and, as a sole source, that entity abused the position with low ball offers. This was hurting Tesla's business so one of their better employees who had experience in the wholesale channel established a group of high end wholesalers that would review a trade-in's merits and provide a bid within a set amount of time. Viola, Tesla now had competitive bids for ICE trade ins and life got much better. In the background, the cars were being collected from the SCs quicker and payment structures between Tesla and the wholesalers worked much better.

Fast forward to Tesla getting MS trade ins and a couple of those wholesalers started to specialize in Tesla trades. The bids were reasonably good and competitive. In some cases, Tesla's trade (from their wholesalers) was better as those partners knew the cars and were becoming ever more successful in selling them on the secondary market.

However, the clown show in the US used car market also kicked in. Used car dealers were telling all kinds of lies about what the MS could do and how charging worked. Tesla identified this as a threat and, together with profit motive, decided to do their own CPO program. This was near the three/four year point where a LOT of MS were coming in for trade. Tesla did not have the infrastructure to prep and sell the cars quickly but they did not want them going into the hands of re-sellers so they low balled their existing customer base to provide margin for them to sit on the cars for six months while they figured things out. Returning customers trusted Tesla and, for the most part, did not understand the secondary and wholesale markets. Tesla used this trust to take money out of their pockets. What Tesla learned was that they could so they continue to this day.

Back to my example - I ordered the PD on announce and knew my P would drop like a stone when the PD started to ship. I went to my local SC and got a trade quote. True to form, it was pitifully low. I then contacted the most reputable Tesla wholesale partner with experience in MS and got a wholesale number including local truck pick up (not an issue as they had trucks running to my local SC four miles away on a weekly basis for MS and ICE now just ICE as Tesla was starting to buy for its CPO program). The offer was on the order of $9k more. Keep in mind that this is wholesale to wholesale. I stopped by the SC and said I preferred their partner's number and asked what it would cost to do a courtesy trade where I bring my car in as trade and it goes to my party of choosing. In this case, it was one of their wholesale partners where they already had a fully functioning logistics and financial relationship. The answer was no. If I wanted the FL 6% sales tax credit (on an $80k trade) I would have to accept their number (literally they said that).

My sales tax relationship is with my State. Tesla is responsible for collecting that tax as a condition of having a Dealer's License. Tesla was knowing using their middle man position to collect tax to extort a returning customer into accepting a lower trade in number. This was wrong on so many levels that it made me sick. I reached out to my long time (back from the Roadster days) friend who actually assembled that wholesale network for Tesla and asked him WTF? Was this intentional? Did Tesla really intend to use its position of faith and trust with returning customers to take money out of their pocket? He explained that Tesla was just getting started with the CPO program and that it would take 4-6 months for them to turn these cars around. The decision was to buy them cheap so they would not be up side down on buy price when they went to process and sell the cars. My friend may have believed this story and it may even have been true but Tesla has not reversed the low ball policy, will not do courtesy trades (I've only gotten one in seven cars and that was because they were REALLY hungry at the time) and still tout the state sales tax benefit when applicable (FL, CO, more).

If a BMW, VAG, MB, etc. stealership tried this on me I would simply walk down the road and present the same deal to their neighbor who would jump all over it. Of course, Tesla is sole source structured.

Folks, this behavior is intentional. The product is soooooooo good that I will put up with it but it would be a mistake not to call it out for what it is. This is intentionally unethical behavior. Tesla preys on returning customers and uses its position of trust to take money out of their pockets.

So, when Tesla calls me and tells me I can have a Plaid that month if I convert my + order to Plaid, I know there is a very good chance I am being lied to. I listen very carefully and I try to hold them to EXACTLY what they tell me. When the excuses start, I point out that they solicited me and I am only requiring them to do what they said when they asked me to make a change in my order. The process was still painful and it cost me money in the form of rims/tires I did not want.

But then this is who and what Tesla is. The above may sound bitter but I assure you it is not. It is what I have witnessed and my assessment of the behavior. I simply am very careful as to which end of the snake I am dealing with when I do business with Tesla.

The business side accounts for .1% of my interaction with the company. The 99.9% has been either good for fantastic for me so, overall, I have no complaints. The Plaid has been, and continues to be, a truly astounding product. It literally is too fast to sell to people and yet they do. For that I am grateful and thus remain a Tesla customer.

Long rant over.....

Congrats! Keep us updated on how it all goes. Did you happen to get your truck cover and all that?

Also, do you mind posting a link to the latest checklist?

I suspected the rear seats as well. Two more pieces of info. The rattle is much louder when adults are in the rear seats. The rattle goes away completely when both rear seats are down. I'm pretty sure it is the rear seat latch on the bracket that has some play. The seat is not pre-loaded enough against the bracket so it sits there and rattles. The flippin car is so quiet in comparison to my P90D that I hear all the little annoyances.
Since the volume of my music is always up at 8 or 9, my whole car could be falling apart and I'll probably never hear it.

Alright everyone, looking for some feedback here - clearly understanding I have to make the decision. Also understand this is very much a first world problem, but I'm weighing my options and curious what others would do. Also curious, does anyone know if passing on a delivery adds the cost increases? I got in before any, so if that does happen it would make my decision very easy.

My Model Y winter mobile, showed up this week. First Tesla I've owned, and even the 21 LR Model Y is absolutely fantastic and just another level all the way around, compared to any other auto I've owned. I got the Tesla delivery appointment text today for the LR S, and obviously it's a 3 day window and falls over a weekend that's not very good for our schedule. My options are, number one pass on this delivery and wait for the next knowing I don't plan to drive this much between now and April/May. The risk here, is that it puts me so far back it's not delivered by then and here I am waiting again.... although at least this time I'd be waiting in a Tesla instead of a GMC so the urgency seems less. The benefit is that I'd likely be into a 2022 NF VIN, although honestly I'm not too concerned about that. However, I'd still be ridiculously annoyed if April/May showed up and it was not sitting in my garage.

Option two is to force some schedule adjustments (my wife's, especially) to take delivery, and just get the car in hand after this painful 9 month wait. Very much on the fence about this since the Model Y covers my needs for the next 5-6 months, I just don't want to fall to the end of the line again.
I would try to call and speak to someone first, if no luck then go get the car ASAP. You'll either get stuck waiting months or they will make you pay new pricing, or both.

and @Phlier

At 14k+ miles now and I still have the following issues:
1) Driveline vibration at 35-45mph
2) Vibrating driver's side mirror
3) Park Assist (not autopark) works intermittently
4) Other BS issues that have not been delivered (ANC, gaming, etc.)

I recently broke my center console - by having a clip fall out (not sure if we knocked it). Nonetheless, Tesla is replacing the whole console under warranty next week. They cannot put the clip back in - the entire console gets scrubbed.

The third brake light came loose from the car (it is glued in place) which caused a loud rattle. Tesla replaced the third brake light and rear window (since they broke while changing light).

There is a rattle that is faint and I believe is from the rear seat latches. Really just noticed recently (I think because the brake light rattle was so loud) so I am doing some testing.

Overall, it is not the worst car I have bought and given the pounding it takes, it has held very well. My local SC has been stellar. I can stop in at any time and they will put my car on the rack and check it out - even without an appointment. Very responsive and on the level. It is almost like Cheers...

Mine was a June build - an early build - and has been great overall. Will not lie that there have been times where the things listed above made me want to park it under an overpass and just Uber home. It is not so much the issues but the lack of communication from Tesla on what and when it will be fixed. I put a ticket in periodically for those items just so they know I am still alive.

Would buy it again, though.
Had same rattle issue coming from rear seats on both sides, took to SC, they confirmed rear seat latches, fixed in a few minutes, now quiet as a mouse. I occasionally notice a very minor vibration when accelerating through 37 to 40, it’s minor. Also June build, no other issues for me, car has been great although I have a fraction of the miles that you have on yours.

Had same rattle issue coming from rear seats on both sides, took to SC, they confirmed rear seat latches, fixed in a few minutes, now quiet as a mouse. I occasionally notice a very minor vibration when accelerating through 37 to 40, it’s minor. Also June build, no other issues for me, car has been great although I have a fraction of the miles that you have on yours.

What did they do to fix it?

Why? demand far exceeds supply and I didn’t even have to try hard. I have been here for a few months and the regulars know my journey up until this part. This is not magic bro.
@cubsnlinux As I said, "Congrats" on the sale! When I said, "It's hard to believe," I wasn't questioning your sale, but rather the fact you found someone to pay MSRP for a used Plaid in your region. Here in Seattle, new Plaids do pop up in inventory. The most I ever saw was eight at one time.

I was expecting to get my car in December, but I received a VIN this morning and they want me to pick it up next week. However it’s an older VIN, MF430XXX. I ordered in July. I’m not sure that I want a reject or a car that’s a few months old. My EDD is next week M-F. Is 430 a May build? My RN1152 is from July. Do I pass or try to see it this weekend?