Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a black hole consumed all the conversation tonight, right @2021plaid ?

DAD6871B-7975-4150-AF7C-3A70062F793F.jpeg

Many pages ago someone posed a question about real world range of the Model S.

I have a LR with 19’ wheels.

I just completed an 1100 mile trip.

i averaged 287 Wh/mi. My lifetime average in this car is 269.

I got 77-78 actual miles for 100 estimated miles. So the highway mileage at 70-75 mph is about 78% of estimated range.

On my last leg, I charged to 100% and drove 289 miles home. I arrived with a battery level of 9% and an estimated range of 34 miles. The weather was good-high 60’s low 70’s.

I feel comfortable that the LR with 19’s has a highway range of 300+ miles.
"i averaged 287 Wh/mi.", math is 348 miles for a 100kwh battery. Is this similar to other issues I read where battery display is not to the rating or a potential underperforming battery module? or is this just Telsa holding back xx miles to ensure you get home?

"i averaged 287 Wh/mi.", math is 348 miles for a 100kwh battery. Is this similar to other issues I read where battery display is not to the rating or a potential underperforming battery module? or is this just Telsa holding back xx miles to ensure you get home?

There is a buffer on the refresh. Actual capacity is approx. 98 KwH, and at least 1, maybe 2 KwH buffer.

A lot has been posted on this including links to EPA data, but I am too lazy to find it and a bit jealous since I only have 73KwH and it would take me an hour of SuC to go to 100%.

Many pages ago someone posed a question about real world range of the Model S.

I have a LR with 19’ wheels.

I just completed an 1100 mile trip.

i averaged 287 Wh/mi. My lifetime average in this car is 269.

I got 77-78 actual miles for 100 estimated miles. So the highway mileage at 70-75 mph is about 78% of estimated range.

On my last leg, I charged to 100% and drove 289 miles home. I arrived with a battery level of 9% and an estimated range of 34 miles. The weather was good-high 60’s low 70’s.

I feel comfortable that the LR with 19’s has a highway range of 300+ miles.

Any energy that is used when parked and not charging is subtracted from the energy that the battery contains but is NOT reported by the trip meter!

If you did not know this, don't feel bad. We all learned the hard way.

There is a buffer on the refresh. Actual capacity is approx. 98 KwH, and at least 1, maybe 2 KwH buffer.

A lot has been posted on this including links to EPA data, but I am too lazy to find it and a bit jealous since I only have 73KwH and it would take me an hour of SuC to go to 100%.
Yeah pack capacity is 99.8 kWh. 186 wh/kg at the pack level and it weighs 537 kg. Probably has that 1 or 2 kWh buffer as you said.😄

@iyordanov did a video comparing different tint shades on MS taillights. I can’t find it but he will assist. Very helpful and I ordered.
Had to delete the video as I got a warning from lawyers 🤷🏻‍♂️
But I saved the photos here:

Few pages back..the smoked tailight lenses LOOK really good, especially on white. Question: Does that reduce the light output of the brake/tail lights at all? In any way? If not, Im getting that done. But if so, too many inattentive drivers on the road already, and I've already been rear ended once in my other car, so not chancing it
That's my kit 😊 I sell it here:

You can see the photos with compared lighting... the tint doesn't seem to reduce visibility 👍

But how much does that tank of gas cost?

Set energy to percent, use voice commands to navigate to destination, car will tell you when and where to charge, and for how long.

And you don't have to watch it fill, breathing fumes and looking at pump graffiti.

Soon, you will dread going to a gas station.
Not really concerned with what gas costs. Takes 5 mins or less to fill up at a gas station and then I can drive about 560 miles on the BMW 530xi. A lot of people on this forum are from CA, where it sounds like Tesla chargers are everywhere. I am in NE Ohio. Just when driving on the Ohio Turnpike, there are no Tesla chargers at any of the rest areas, which means you have to get off an exit to get to one. Add 15 minutes or more just to get off the exit and then add the time it takes to fill up the Tesla.

I get it if you are doing all local travel, where you charge at home, but I constantly travel and gas still has a big advantage over EV. I really don’t want to stop to charge, when I am doing a simple drive to Toledo, Columbus or Pittsburgh, which sounds like in the winter months would have too. Especially if a business trip and I have other people with me.

Still love the concept of EV and love the Model S. I will probably get my Model S next month, but still causes a lot of range anxiety. The way the used car market is, if I really dislike the charging part when traveling, at least I can sell it and not take much of a loss, since buying at the $79,999 price. :)

Last edited:
Not really concerned with what gas costs. Takes 5 mins or less to fill up at a gas station and then I can drive about 560 miles on the BMW 530xi. A lot of people on this forum are from CA, where it sounds like Tesla chargers are everywhere. I am in NE Ohio. Just when driving on the Ohio Turnpike, there are no Tesla chargers at any of the rest areas, which means you have to get off an exit to get to one. Add 15 minutes or more just to get off the exit and then add the time it takes to fill up the Tesla.

I get it if you are doing all local travel, where you charge at home, but I constantly travel and gas still has a big advantage over EV. I really don’t want to stop to charge, when I am doing a simple drive to Toledo, Columbus or Pittsburgh, which sounds like in the winter months would have too. Especially if a business trip and I have other people with me.

Still love the concept of EV and love the Model S. I will probably get my Model S next month, but still causes a lot of range anxiety. The way the used car market is, if I really dislike the charging part when traveling, at least I can sell it and not take much of a loss, since buying at the $79,999 price. :)

You are not wrong. EVs are not made for every use case yet. Unfortunately yours might not quite work.

That said… have you driven a Tesla yet? If not, please report back after a couple months with the new car. No reason. Just asking.

Did you know a LR just set the EV cannonball record?

Give the car a chance as far as cross country travel.

Passengers usually appreciate a stop every two hours or so. Especially with your MS, they will want to admire it from the outside..

Basically what I’ve been saying. Handling isn’t and brakes are not in Porsche or BMW’s level. I remember some guys on here were arguing the handling is on par with Porsche. The brakes are unacceptable on a car with this much power. I have a LR and think that, can’t imagine the Plaid. Also the yoke is perfectly fine.