Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He doesn't know. They don't know anything. I literally called three times yesterday to ask the same question three times to three different people and they all gave me variations and answers lol. They have absolutely no idea and honestly it's probably not their fault. Tesla is a complete s*** show. Chicken with it's head cut off running around.

When I bought my model 3, I had no idea they were truly this incompetent.

They are so good at being incompetent that they are actually very competent.

it's not about the number of reactions, it's about the ratio of reactions to posts. Quality over quantity! :)
I can't help it. EVERY time I see that shiny purple avatar I want to get that purple. It looks great. I had a bright yellow Z4 (i called it the banana) and it had special interior alcantara insides which i think were yellow accented (i truly don't remember) and people would stop and comment on the car. I have to imagine that happens with the purple. I can only imagine what it looks like in sunlight. Unlike my car, and or my wife's incoming white MY, there is NO way to accidentally walk up to that one in a parking lot!

Educated your SA. Or bet him your car that MF is a 2021 VIN marker. Those documents and details are filed with government bodies. NF would be a 2022 model. Plus your account probably says 2021 Model S before you click into the details.
you beat me to it. the filing showed N for 2022. it also showed F or A based on Fremont or Austin. I see no planet in which the M would be considered a 2022 when the VIN decoder says it needs an N for that.
i'm still unsure of when the VIN is assigned - can it be assigned BEFORE a build, like my buddy's Polestar that got a VIN 6 weeks before the build (per the email he received) or is it when the car comes off the assembly line, or even starts the assembly line? I wonder if there are VIN plates that are attached to the frame before production, or after - and the 3D VIN numbers you see on cars - i think those are pressed, while the door labels COULD be laser engraved and queued off the rest.
I have no idea.
It DOES make sense to me there has to be an internal ID during the build phase, and the VIN to me is as good a unique identifier as anything else, so my vote would be that a VIN gets assigned to a chassis, and then to an end user when it completes production (what if the car never completes production, because of a major issue?)

Vin day at last
756801A9-6A2E-44D3-B7EC-421E126BECE2.jpeg

I just got an update from my SA. I booked MS White, cream, 19in wheels on April 30, 2020. RN11488. Got VIN 5YJSA1E56MF454XXX on Nov 2. EDD is from Nov 12 to Nov 18. The vehicle completed production on 11/2/2021. The SC says this is a 2022 vehicle as any Tesla vehicle manufactured after Nov 1, 2021, is a 2022 "manufactured vehicle". Quotation marks from SA. Does this make sense?
I just got a message from Tesla to schedule an appointment for drop-off. Looks like they will deliver home. Any suggestions on what I need to check at delivery. Thanks

Delivery Appointment​

Nov. 20, 2021 12:00 PM - 02:00 PM

Yes what @cwanja said. It was delivered to my home and they said to make a service appt before putting 100 miles on it (was delivered with 33 miles so had till 133 on the odometer) with anything that needed addressing as part of the delivery process. The first available appt for me was Nov 1st and my car was delivered Sept 24. Had my appt scheduled with my list of items and had enough time to drive cross country and back and took it to my due bill appt with over 7k miles on it.

The tech that drove it with me as a passenger to listen for the rattles I listed said it was the first Plaid he'd seen with that many miles, and was also his first time seeing FSD beta in person.

Most of these things would be covered under warranty also but it also covers cosmetic stuff that wouldn't be covered if it weren't delivered that way. Few things on my due bill were:

Trunk wobbles a bit when opening
Interior trim gaps
Missing floor mats, etc
Charge port door wouldn't react to the button on the handle
Defect in the driver side rear window (didn't notice this until it was tinted which made it noticeable)
Defect in the back liftgate window...didn't notice this within the 100 mi limit though and sorta looks like an impact mark so not sure if that'll get replaced
Thank you Mokuzai for your response and explanation. Sorry about all those issue. I guess I should feel quite lucky since I’m at 781 miles and have not encountered any problems other than the charge port not always reacting when it should. I know when you get those mostly cosmetic issues resolved you will be a very happy camper, if you aren’t already.

Hi everyone just got assigned a VIN delivery window is 11/20-12/18 received an email for final payment; are owners making that payment before the delivery date is confirmed ? Thanks for any information.
Are you financing or paying cash? If you are financing, start the loan process. If your state allows, hold on to your downpayment till delivery date and either do it via Plaid (ACH service, not the car) or cashiers check.

I am currently sitting with a VIN and car is in transit - no delivery date. Loan is finalized and I am sitting on my downpayment.

Yes what @cwanja said. It was delivered to my home and they said to make a service appt before putting 100 miles on it (was delivered with 33 miles so had till 133 on the odometer) with anything that needed addressing as part of the delivery process. The first available appt for me was Nov 1st and my car was delivered Sept 24. Had my appt scheduled with my list of items and had enough time to drive cross country and back and took it to my due bill appt with over 7k miles on it.

The tech that drove it with me as a passenger to listen for the rattles I listed said it was the first Plaid he'd seen with that many miles, and was also his first time seeing FSD beta in person.

Most of these things would be covered under warranty also but it also covers cosmetic stuff that wouldn't be covered if it weren't delivered that way. Few things on my due bill were:

Trunk wobbles a bit when opening
Interior trim gaps
Missing floor mats, etc
Charge port door wouldn't react to the button on the handle
Defect in the driver side rear window (didn't notice this until it was tinted which made it noticeable)
Defect in the back liftgate window...didn't notice this within the 100 mi limit though and sorta looks like an impact mark so not sure if that'll get replaced
I get the whole "you got 100 miles to report defects", but wouldn't that apply only to specific items that could potentially be attributed to the owner? For example, a tear in the upholstery, or a paint chip. If there is a defect in a window (warping, not a crack), or anything else that clearly would be from a manufacturing issue, not usage, that should be a warranty concern, and therefore have no such limitation.

I've seen anecdotal evidence that a push on your EDD out to February or March next year will "come back" to something closer. Any idea how long it takes for the EDD to move back in? Had 16-31 Dec for a LONG time, and now Feb 26-Mar 26. Hope there aren't more supply issues causing this.

RN 1152, MSLR, Blue/Cream/Walnut, 19", AP
24 to 48 hours typically.

I just received my Vin #MF455***. I'm mad that it's not 2022. 😣
  • Model S Plaid
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat
  • 19" Tempest Wheels
  • Black and White Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber Décor
455. I think you may be the first. Up until now I have only see 454. Can you ask them what your build date is? That would be helpful to our knowledge base.