Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate being in debt, but being in a similar situation as you, thinking of financing to avoid drawing Funds out of my retirement accounts, and getting a tax hit, and loosing my ACA premium of $4.00/mo.

All the financial experts say you should have a third of your assets in cash, but I'll bet owning a car in the next 12-18 months will be a better idea than sitting on cash.

Other experiences indicate to me the banks really don't want to make loans at this point, they can see the inflationary writing on the wall.

A hybrid approach I will take is to pay cash with a crisp Cashier's Check hand carried to the store, and after accepting delivery of a pristine car (I can dream right?) Finance at will.

The loans are so cheap, it seems totally worth it. My model 3 loan three years ago was 0.65%! I left my money in the market and had 14% average returns each of the three years, so a huge win. I don't expect my Model S loan to pay off as well, but it seems likely I'll beat 1.24%!

I sold my Model 3 performance for $53,100, which was fully paid off. With the $85k loan, I wrote a $57k check for the Model S plaid. Only had to put in $4k more. :)

1/3 cash? yikes. I have <3% in cash. 10% in a bond fund, ~90% in stock index funds.

I don't know if DCU will let you finance after delivery. They wrote the check direct to Tesla. I'd take the 1.24% loan, even if it is smaller than others. Tesla offered a $110k loan, but at 2.49%...

Fact...my MS CPO in '18 was on a carpet and had a bow around it at the store...I'm sure with your extensive history you have had better times.
You got lucky in '18! I had a similar great delivery experience when I bought a demo P90DL MS in 2016. But, in 2018 I picked up a filthy Model 3 performance in a rented dirt lot attached to a random garage.

My Model S Plaid delivery last week was pretty good, car was near perfect at the new Raleigh showroom.

1/3 cash? yikes. I have <3% in cash. 10% in a bond fund, ~90% in stock index funds.

I don't know if DCU will let you finance after delivery. They wrote the check direct to Tesla. I'd take the 1.24% loan, even if it is smaller than others. Tesla offered a $110k loan, but at 2.49%...
[/QUOTE]

My CU offered 125% LTV at 0.99 APR a month ago.

I'm of a certain age where that cash recommendation applies, not that I believe it or am going to follow it.

Let's just say I'm gonna need FSD before you do, but am less likely to see it.

On topic, Boss says I can have a plaid and finance it, since inflation just took a big bite out of our cash fund!

You got lucky in '18! I had a similar great delivery experience when I bought a demo P90DL MS in 2016. But, in 2018 I picked up a filthy Model 3 performance in a rented dirt lot attached to a random garage.

My Model S Plaid delivery last week was pretty good, car was near perfect at the new Raleigh showroom.

I was a late adopter, and had a bit of a taste of what it must have been like in the early days.

Then the 2019 software update, and the "Gates", of which slowed charging was the most egregarious.

Then service and sales communication went to pot.

And here we are. The new app doesn't even show my moonroof.

But still here, because of the car.

Hypothetical: What do you think the market value of an August build 2021 Plaid (MSM, cream/Walnut) with less than 3000 miles would be (Title in hand)? I'm having a running debate with a friend and seek input from the larger community. Friend suggests near or above MSRP, incl. tax (i.e., will command a premium price), I say much less, plus the loss of Sales Tax paid. Thoughts?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hypothetical: What do you think the market value of an August build 2021 Plaid (MSM, cream/Walnut) with less than 3000 miles would be? I'm having a running debate with a friend and seek input from the larger community. Friend suggests near or above MSRP, incl. tax (aka, will command a premium price), I say much less, plus the loss of Sales Tax paid. Thoughts?

I'd be a buyer at MSRP, except for color. Have to be perfect though as far as no wrinkles, etc.

Depends on supply. Seems software update has affected that a bit.

All you need is ONE person who has been waiting like a year and is SO DONE with Tesla.

Hypothetical: What do you think the market value of an August build 2021 Plaid (MSM, cream/Walnut) with less than 3000 miles would be (Title in hand)? I'm having a running debate with a friend and seek input from the larger community. Friend suggests near or above MSRP, incl. tax (i.e., will command a premium price), I say much less, plus the loss of Sales Tax paid. Thoughts?
Depends on whether it vibrates or not

This plaid has wood? Isn't that unusual, almost like a 🦄? Too bad it's not white or red...

@jebinc Seriously, man? You can't be thinking that you're already done with that gorgeous Beast??!! Why?? You trying to flip it or just livening up this thread (OT, but that's ok)?
If it was Blue or Red, I'd consider it at MSRP, but ya did make me refresh again. And :)my EDD just tightened up to 11-22 to 12-12! Woot, woot. Still no VIN. I will def reject if it is an older build or a MF. Here's hoping I am driving my 2022 MS LR in a week!

@jebinc Seriously, man? You can't be thinking that you're already done with that gorgeous Beast??!! Why?? You trying to flip it or just livening up this thread (OT, but that's ok)?
If it was Blue or Red, I'd consider it at MSRP, but ya did make me refresh again. And :)my EDD just tightened up to 11-22 to 12-12! Woot, woot. Still no VIN. I will def reject if it is an older build or a MF. Here's hoping I am driving my 2022 MS LR in a week!

@neadams99 Looking forward to your 2022 Plaid report, especially if there is something different the 2022 has over the outgoing 2021 model! Congrats on being so close!

Last edited:
They actually called me and said the firmware is being updated tonight at 2am and that my delivery for tomorrow is back on.
I was supposed to get the MS delivered on Sunday, Nov 21st. I called the Tesla SA and he told me that the factory software update has not been released as of noon time today. The delivery date is being tentatively pushed back to Tuesday. Some major safety update before they can release the new MS.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid