Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve only marginally followed (no car yet). Any chance it is tires, like 21” doing it? I guess not, but was wondering about the harmonics.
In my previous posts I have talked about our experience with the aviator (sucks) but one of the issues noticed early on was that we had a vibration at speed (between 60-70mph). It went to the dealer twice for this and eventually they figured out it was a tire production issue. They balanced fine but they were produced out of round. They waited on goodyear for about a month to replace them under tire warranty. That solved the issue.
in a previous car (years ago) I had a similar vibration at a lower speed and it took months to figure out that the wheels were out of round just a little- again balance was fine but at higher speeds it would vibrate like crazy.

Curious who is actually confident these EOQ orders will be fulfilled? I'm past getting my hopes up at this point and it seems odd that so many people have the same generic 18-31 window... Reminds me of when they schedule a game release on New Years Day
It never comes out on NY

Edit: "Confident" is definitely the wrong word for this forum... but you get it.

Curious who is actually confident these EOQ orders will be fulfilled? I'm past getting my hopes up at this point and it seems odd that so many people have the same generic 18-31 window... Reminds me of when they schedule a game release on New Years Day
It never comes out on NY

Edit: "Confident" is definitely the wrong word for this forum... but you get it.
All that is left is hope. Come on Santa Elon bring me my x-mas gift!

Edit: If I don't get a VIN in the next 10 days then there isn't much to get excited about, given the transit times. But they musk think they can get a decent amount of these out, otherwise why change the EDD. Although looking at past history of people's EDD shifting from EOQ then not getting delivered for another 3 months isn't inspiring but those also seem to be concentrated more heavily in CA region.

In my previous posts I have talked about our experience with the aviator (sucks) but one of the issues noticed early on was that we had a vibration at speed (between 60-70mph). It went to the dealer twice for this and eventually they figured out it was a tire production issue. They balanced fine but they were produced out of round. They waited on goodyear for about a month to replace them under tire warranty. That solved the issue.
in a previous car (years ago) I had a similar vibration at a lower speed and it took months to figure out that the wheels were out of round just a little- again balance was fine but at higher speeds it would vibrate like crazy.
superficially it sounds like harmonics - but NOT if Tesla is offering or potentially offering to buy back a car, etc. - that helps indicate it goes a lot further.
still might be harmonics, but just not necessarily the tire tread doing it.
i heard the story in school years ago, how soldiers had to be careful not to cross some bridges in formation - less that they're a target, and more that the oscillations could cause the bridge to collapse.
could also be something loose inside, but why only affect at those speed ranges? I doubt a rubber damper will solve it...

superficially it sounds like harmonics - but NOT if Tesla is offering or potentially offering to buy back a car, etc. - that helps indicate it goes a lot further.
still might be harmonics, but just not necessarily the tire tread doing it.
i heard the story in school years ago, how soldiers had to be careful not to cross some bridges in formation - less that they're a target, and more that the oscillations could cause the bridge to collapse.
could also be something loose inside, but why only affect at those speed ranges? I doubt a rubber damper will solve it...
Not that anyone cares, but with mine they swapped tires and wheels. 19s to 21s. Totally different tires on the 19s than the 21s as well. Doing so had ZERO effect on the pronounced vibration.

Not that anyone cares, but with mine they swapped tires and wheels. 19s to 21s. Totally different tires on the 19s than the 21s as well. Doing so had ZERO effect on the pronounced vibration.

Switching from the 21" OEM summer tires/wheel to the current aftermarket 20" all seasons, there is a noticeable difference in the vibration. The feel has lessened up but it is definitely still present.

Switching from the 21" OEM summer tires/wheel to the current aftermarket 20" all seasons, there is a noticeable difference in the vibration. The feel has lessened up but it is definitely still present.
@Hayseed_MS Mine has gotten worse with time, and now occurs around 60 and again at 70 +/-. Tesla now saying they all do it, to some degree, and it's a "normal characteristic of the car". I'm calling BS on that! 🤣

Does it occur at about the same speed?

If so, I think not the source of the problem.

Tire may have more damping, but the frequency is the same, then likely coming from the drivetrain.

Tire may have more damping, but the frequency is the same, then likely coming from the drivetrain.

I agree it is not the tire/wheel that reduces it - it is just a dampened feel with the larger/softer sidewall.

It does it 35-45mph for the most part under mild acceleration.

It would be interesting if the car was suspended and it still happened. might need some brakes applied to put resistance on the motors, but if it still happens, that would remove the wheels from the equation.
i used to nap when my dad would drive and know where we were based on the road sounds/vibrations, like where the brooklyn bridge would meet the road, and the metal bumps on the bridge, etc.
other roads DO cause vibration or more sounds on my other cards at certain speed ranges, but again, I'm sure this is a lot deeper than that.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Time for a quick update

I was of the mind to hand back the car and get rematched (an option but back of the Q)....Then I drove the car...I forgot about the issues the second my kids were laughing (farts) and screaming (acceleration) inside this vehicle...having never driven a Tesla before, it blew my mind. I can not properly explain to friends how this drives, so I just take them for a ride...it is like magic. smooth-quite-FAST-handling-UI with huge clear screen---all in a beautiful looking package. The Yoke feels natural to me...my hands rest nicely on it with elbows comfortably on the door rest and center area...The blinker controls will take some time to get used to...I keep having to look down to hit correct direction... I keep hitting the turn signal will I am switching radio stations (yes-radio)...Thankfully the seats are wider than the previous model I sat in years ago.

Kodos to Elon on the product he and Tesla have created....now get to work on quality control and communication!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

I keep hitting the turn signal will I am switching radio stations (yes-radio)
Depending on your software version, this should be improved when they removed the "soft press" functionality for turn signals. I think that was somewhere in the 2021.36 or .40 branch.

Look for "Yoke Improvements" in the release notes.