Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right there brotha. I'll say this - for the 2 days or so I had a VIN and delivery appointment, my check ins on the forums were different - almost like I have the car, and why was I worried about getting a VIN?
I realized, it was the uncertainty of not knowing if I was lost in the system, etc., and wanting my new toy.
I think you are I are this close (fingers really close) to getting our VINs, and then cars - and yeah, when I had my VIN i thought back to all the months, it seemed like a flash, and like "why was i making myself nuts over this?" - (yet i'm doing it again)
Tesla gave me EXACTLY what I asked for (sorta) - they removed the FSD and didn't raise my price. They confirmed/claimed my 19" will come with all season tires. and frankly, i couldn't keep the appointment that was foisted on me, and now that gives me time to decide on autotrader/fb, etc. versus trade in.
So yeah, emotionally i want my shiny rolling toy, complete with new UI and blinkie lights, but if I wait a few more weeks, who knows, maybe more software updates, etc.
my trade in quote expires 1/16, and i MAY or MAY NOT have a new car by then.
i'm not stressing it. or at least trying not to.
I like your point of view on it. I'm trying very hard not to make an impulsive decision to just have instant gratification. I would really enjoy having the fastest production car available, but at same time I can only imagine the trouble it would get me into. I am a bit worried that it won't hold the same type of resale value as a LR I have reserved at 80k. I was going to get FSD and do a full PPF matte wrap on the car, but if I go plaid may just not get FSD and forgo the PPF which seems even crazier given the car is more expensive. I'm in my early 30s but have had tremendous success early in life in CyberSecurity sales career so money isn't my largest concern, but obviously nothing is ever certain in this world.

Having a hard time with justification of the price increase, and whether it's worth it in the long run. I think if they're willing to offer me a discount on a Plaid I'd probably take it, and just say that was the way it was meant to be. I really don't need the car immediately but would love the new toy. Ugh decisions, decisions...

Thank you all for the group therapy, I don't know what I'd do without you all!

let's think about this for a minute.
I can see ordering the plaid for $100 and if it is an impulse buy, etc. or you don't qualify, or you ordered 4 and changed your mind, well, you're only out $100 (or $100 x as many orders)
but that to me would mean they didn't pick them up, and they wouldn't be used/cpo.
now, to be cpo, i guess a couple of things happened:
1) buyer remorse - wasn't as good as hoped for, or maybe switched for a "good enough" LR and keep the difference
2) maybe flipped (but then woudln't be CPO) - sold for a premium after taking possession
3) buyer remorse revisted - gee, those payments didn't sound so bad on paper
4) bought something else? more or less expensive?

i really question why there are so many cpo's - i can see not qualifying for financing or not picking up.
then again, i don't know how many plaids were sold and delivered - 5,000? more? less? i don't know with other brands how quick the dump rate is - maybe some folks lost their jobs, or moved, or just didn't like the yoke or the car. but i don't get 234. i dont know if that is a lot or a little in general terms based on amount sold, but to me it seems like an awful lot.
couple that, with i think the LR's are scarce out there.
anyway, that's what went through my mind as I killed 5 minutes before refreshing the app looking for a VIN.
BTW, for my wife's Y, it still says in production, yet on my S it says go to account - maybe because a bit got flipped somewhere on a server and i'm now in delivery mode (without a car, vin, or date, which is a scary place to be)
The web site is ev-cpo. Those are new plaids.

Throttle House Review of Lucid Air Dream Edition P
i enjoyed the video, and enjoyed how the wheel looked from behind, i.e. it looked pretty solid. however, the car made me yawn, and i have zero desire for it. i'm not fond of the styling. i didn't know the X had the visors on the a pillars, etc.
i do like the few physical buttons, like temperature, volume, and agree, should have seat buttons.
i thought some of the gps was pretty cool on the dash, like the curved right hand side.
all in all, you can't shake me from wanting an S, but i will say there were some features that looked premium on the lucid, more so than on the S. it even has a slightly better drag coefficient - i have to imagine tesla will try to tweak in some way to reclaim that title.
all in all looks like a solid car. expensive. i think the plaid is a better value. i think the lucid may have a better interior. i think the exterior is uninspiring.

I like your point of view on it. I'm trying very hard not to make an impulsive decision to just have instant gratification. I would really enjoy having the fastest production car available, but at same time I can only imagine the trouble it would get me into. I am a bit worried that it won't hold the same type of resale value as a LR I have reserved at 80k. I was going to get FSD and do a full PPF matte wrap on the car, but if I go plaid may just not get FSD and forgo the PPF which seems even crazier given the car is more expensive. I'm in my early 30s but have had tremendous success early in life in CyberSecurity sales career so money isn't my largest concern, but obviously nothing is ever certain in this world.

Having a hard time with justification of the price increase, and whether it's worth it in the long run. I think if they're willing to offer me a discount on a Plaid I'd probably take it, and just say that was the way it was meant to be. I really don't need the car immediately but would love the new toy. Ugh decisions, decisions...

Thank you all for the group therapy, I don't know what I'd do without you all!
same therapy here. what i saved in bills, i could use for a Plaid!
i thought seriously about getting the Plaid instead. drove my neighbor's 6 hour old, 51 mile Plaid, and loved it. But i don't think FOR ME it is worth the price difference, and I think i'd never see it on a resale.
plus, i plan on a new car in 3 years anyway, and might seriously get an S+ or whatever they have then, maybe 4680 cells, more power, etc. - who knows?
i think 0-60 in 3.1 is plenty fast for me.
yes, i almost weakened several times, with the most soul searching whan i got an email for a plaid, at plaid prices last week. um, no. and 2 or 3 laters, i got my defunct VIN.
some folks go to the track, have the need for speed, etc. and for them there's the plaid.
I just can't in any way justify TO ME the price difference.
and, i'll have 5 cars, and then 6 when my wife's Y comes (i plan to dump my daily driver, and then my wife's in ther summer) and be back down to 4 cars (2 for the kids).
through truthfully, if business was knocking out of the park, instead of kind of mellowing, i might have gone plaid as an impulse buy, but trying to be "mature" about it. and truthfully, with my 449 or so hp car, i drive like grandpa anyway, so the extra ponies would be wasted on me.
i will say i've been driving more aggresively, knowing i'll be saying gu-bye to my beast, and gettinig something with a couple of hundred more ponies.
i also filled up today, hopefully for the last time, or maybe next to last time. i will NOT miss the gas station.

Right there with you two... I just called Tesla again to figure out what the F is going on. Person told me they didn't see in their system that Tesla called me last night to tell me that my car was in-transit. They're reaching out to the store leader at my delivery center and will have them call me back. I'm getting sick and tired of being jerked around. I'm on the fence of wanting to go plaid, and may see if I can leverage this round of recent BS to get a discount on a in-stock plaid for pick up before EOY. I'm not holding my breath but this is getting seriously annoying. Wish I could just let all this go into the ether and wait stress free but as my wife would say, I'm a spaz about this car LOL.
You might have a shot of a discount on left over MF VINs (2021) that need to be cleared out of the bastard lots before Jan 1

Finally picked up my MSLR. The car is better than the one that I initially refused delivery on. While there are still minor issues, they were tolerable. Overall very happy with the car so far.

First of all, for future reference, I had a DCU Check for the full amount with old VIN but used it for delivery of another car with a different VIN. Tesla had no issues with the check at all. All I needed to do after delivery was:

1. upload new MVPA with updated VIN to DCU document sharing portal.
2. call DCU loan service and have them pull the new MVPA from the portal.
3. DCU loan service updated the records with loan closing dept.
4. resign via Docusign a new loan agreement with updated VIN.

No issues with DCU. They were great to work with, highly recommend. As mentioned before, the key is to upload all necessary documents and then give them a call. I used their call back services all the time without any issues. If anyone needs a referral, I would be happy to refer and I believe you get a $100 bonus at this time.

Delivery Observations and Initial Quality
1. Overall Paint quality is ok. still some over spray and noticeable defect (see pic attached)
2. Panel Gaps are good. Fairly uniform, but just seems to be wider than it needs to be.
3. Headlamp does not seem be installed properly. some gap and not flush (see pic attached)
4. Interior was a little dirty, but in good shape. Front seats have very minor wrinkles; back seats were more prominent. Overall acceptable.
5. Worm present but acceptable.
6. No vibration from the mirrors.
7. Very noticeable distortion in the rear glass. but the rear view is very limited anyway, doesn't bother me.
8. Prompted for update right away; did that when I got home. Took about 50 mins.
9. Front hood rubber seal was set properly. nothing intruded outward.
10. Had all pieces/covers/mat.
11. Passenger front/rear doors hard to close.
12. My car came with 19" summer performance tires.

Initial Impressions
1. Ride quality is very good. Nice and smooth.
2. Sound quality is excellent (after FW update)
3. Cabin is quiet, comfortable and good fit and finish for the most part.
4. Full acceleration causes some strangely loud noise; need to check that out.
5. Not sure about the yoke yet; don't hate it, don't love it either. almost lost it on my first turn because I am used to having steering wheel slide through my hand where as the yoke doesn't... obviously.
6. Best part so far is how easily adapting to no turn signal stalk is. was really concerned, but it was a none issue at all. the smart turn cancelling is great. love it!
7. Acceleration is great. Faster than M3P we just picked up.
8. Really like the auto gear select
9. Auto steering also seems to be smoother and more accurate than the new M3P with radar only.
10. Wide wheel stance provides good stability, 19" wheel seems to look better with cover than without.

Yoke
1. again, neutral at this time. neat, kinda cool but still too new to have a strong opinion on this.
2. comfortable resting right arm on center armrest while palming the yolk.
3. first time turning almost lost it because I am so used let steering wheel slide while turning.
4. adjustment hasn't been terrible. don't miss turn signal stalk. easy transition.
5. horn placement not as terrible as I had thought. full coverage with my hand would activate the horn.

Interior carpet
I did not like the OEM all-weather two piece rear mat. so I went with 3D Maxpider. no 2022 refresh 3D Maxpider available yet, so I ordered the last generation mats. they fit pretty good overall albeit not perfectly. I would keep the set and am generally happy with them (pics below). Link to the best deal I could find:
Congrats my friend. Could the hard acceleration sound be the famous half shaft thing. Is it like a front suspension sound that gets better when you lower the car?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Just like that all hope of getting my car this year has vanished. The person who called me last night clearly didn't know *sugar*....

I'm not going to shell tesla over another 50k because I'm upset that they've misled me. Back to forgetting for a while alas the realization settles in that no I'm not going to be getting it anytime soon. Damn you Tesla. If you didn't have such a superior product I'd be buying from a competitors.

The rep I most recently spoke to said they've had a lot of angry callers and something along the lines of not expecting so many people wanting to take delivery of their vehicles!? What kind of bullshit nonsense is that... Oh Tesla, you make my blood boil.

Just like that all hope of getting my car this year has vanished. The person who called me last night clearly didn't know *sugar*....

I'm not going to shell tesla over another 50k because I'm upset that they've misled me. Back to forgetting for a while alas the realization settles in that no I'm not going to be getting it anytime soon. Damn you Tesla. If you didn't have such a superior product I'd be buying from a competitors.

The rep I most recently spoke to said they've had a lot of angry callers and something along the lines of not expecting so many people wanting to take delivery of their vehicles!? What kind of bullshit nonsense is that... Oh Tesla, you make my blood boil.
This car (and the process involved) is an emotional roller coaster.
let your cooler head prevail, and spend the $50k on ppf or whatever.
you'll get it. maybe not before 2022 comes around, but it is imminent.
that doesn't stop me from checking the vin like a MOFO, but i think it's still sound advice :)

Minor DCU tidbit for anyone interested.
I uploaded my MVPA of my now defunct VIN and my driver's license - got a call about 10 minutes later to go over the loan. i "confessed" the vin was revoked, so the phone person thought i was getting pre-qualified - i explained i actually had a vin and vehicle and it was yanked away.
upshot - i upload the new MVPA when i get it.
funding can be done same day and a check fedexed to me, tesla, or multiple checks as i desire.
also, even with a trade in, etc. they'd be willing to loan me the full amount (which is actually more than my purchase price) and i can pocket the difference - at 1.24% i think of it as free money.
he also mentioned the MVPA i uploaded was missing info, i.e. something like dollar amounts, etc. which i didn't quite understand, as it is all in my existing but useless MVPA.
i need to re-read how folks have done this - right now i have cash selected as my payment option. if i trade in, then i need less cash. i might bring a dcu check for $98k or so and call it a day - give it to tesla, and get a refund what, a few weeks later? or should i have dcu send a substantial (90 to 95% of the purchase amount to tesla in Texas, and then i bring some sort of certified payment, the idea being that i don't complete payment if i reject a clunker of a car?

or, i can have DCU cut a check in essentially whatever denomination i want, so i can short tesla and then get some certified checks or bank checks to make up the difference - i've seen folks uncertain about how much to pay or bring.
i welcome any suggestions or advice.

Ack. I wanted 19" over 21" and frankly would have paid more if I had to. I got rid of my sports car with rubber band tires after 4 months - I was too nervous about potholes and rim damage.
I KNEW the 21" came with summer only - fine for warmer weather, but not the north east, so aside from $4,500 i'd either have to get (and store) extra rims and tires, or just have the tires swapped, etc. at an additional cost.
So, if you go "true Telsa" and paid $4,500 for the summer arachnids, you now get to shell out another $6k for the winter. so $10,500.
FSD is cheaper at $10k.
I do wonder, if you ordered the arachnid, would they deliver summer tires in the northeast in the winter. I think the manual says the 21" are only summer tires.
Or just buy the tires and have them swapped. Far cheaper

Yep, a lot of nothing tonight….

4BFA3BEB-C092-4E61-941B-967930DA557D.gif