Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who have been through this process before with other tesla's how common is it for them to keep pushing your delivery date once you have an exact day/time scheduled? So far they have punted me from 10-12 last Friday to 10-12 Monday this week and now 10-12 Thursday of this week. Is this normal? Obviously at this point I'm of the mind it'll just get here when it gets here but I'm still curious?
I've never been pushed back, but it seems like it's relatively common. For both of my deliveries, after setting a time, they called me and said I can pick up early.

You could always call them and ask where your car physically is, to determine if it's just a shipping delay or if it's there but they found something they need to fix on it. I've seen them hold all deliveries if a specific software update is imminent (or, at least say that's the reason)

For those who have been through this process before with other tesla's how common is it for them to keep pushing your delivery date once you have an exact day/time scheduled? So far they have punted me from 10-12 last Friday to 10-12 Monday this week and now 10-12 Thursday of this week. Is this normal? Obviously at this point I'm of the mind it'll just get here when it gets here but I'm still curious?
For our two deliveries in '17, they were very firm. Haven't gotten to that stage for our MYP and Plaid orders, so we will see. The EDD pendulum is a bit of a nuisance, but would think the delivery slotting to be much better.

Good luck.

I've never been pushed back, but it seems like it's relatively common. For both of my deliveries, after setting a time, they called me and said I can pick up early.

You could always call them and ask where your car physically is, to determine if it's just a shipping delay or if it's there but they found something they need to fix on it. I've seen them hold all deliveries if a specific software update is imminent (or, at least say that's the reason)

Thanks. The consistent excuse has been transportation delays from the Fremont factory. Given the time of year I don’t have much reason to doubt this.

Thanks. The consistent excuse has been transportation delays from the Fremont factory. Given the time of year I don’t have much reason to doubt this. Every time I’ve asked if there’s a time difference between home delivery and me picking it up they’ve said there isn’t one so I’ve stuck with home delivery. No idea if that is actually a mistake?

Thanks. The consistent excuse has been transportation delays from the Fremont factory. Given the time of year I don’t have much reason to doubt this. Every time I’ve asked if there’s a time difference between home delivery and me picking it up they’ve said there isn’t one so I’ve stuck with home delivery. No idea if that is actually a mistake?
Home delivery wasn't an option for me, but as long as you're really good about inspecting the car and setting up a ticket once you get the car (if needed), it probably doesn't matter. Even when I inspected on site, they told me that any items missing would need to be ordered through a service ticket so I don't think there's much of a difference. I was lucky and had the items that are most often missing (truck cover(s), key fobs, etc.) - even if they were missing, I doubt they'd have had them at the SC for me.

Timing-wise, I doubt there's probably much difference.

Last edited:
Has anyone been assigned a VIN and then had it removed but had the MVPA stay on the account? I have a link on my account for the MF VIN they tried to assign me on NYE called 'Delivery configuration' and its the MVPA for the car. My account doesn't show a VIN anywhere else. Still shows a delivery day of 1/4-1/8. Just trying to make sure im not still connected to this car somehow.

Has anyone been assigned a VIN and then had it removed but had the MVPA stay on the account? I have a link on my account for the MF VIN they tried to assign me on NYE called 'Delivery configuration' and its the MVPA for the car. My account doesn't show a VIN anywhere else. Still shows a delivery day of 1/4-1/8. Just trying to make sure im not still connected to this car somehow.
Me. My old MVPA is there, in fact, i posted a redacted version on a thread somewhere. Also, my MS account looks "different" than my pending Y order - for the Y, the app says "manage" on the upper left near my RN, and below the EDD it shows the blue press bar, "View" and below has the videos.
for my S, there is nothing under my RN (anymore, was my vin, waaaaa!) and below my EDD the blue button says, "Go to Account" and then on the website it has the same current EDD, and "Prepare for delivery" also seems to show all my tasks were completed, and has 4 links for docs, which I suspect are identical to yours - my (old) order agreement, lemon law disclosure, my old delivery configuration, and my old MVPA with my prior beloved VIN. I had a delivery appointment, etc. before.
my new EDD is 2 weeks, from 1/6-1/20 and i expect a NEW vin very soon. the SA i had spoken with when my vin was unceremoneously revoked, said i should hear something first week of january, and probably have the car in my driveway by the third week of january.
this worked out very well for me - 1) i was out of the country 2) i wanted to remove FSD and they let me (though i keep waffling on that) 3) i wanted to pick up in 2022 on the greater than 0 %, but not by much, that there will be some favorable tax legislation this year for my S, and perhaps most importantly, 4) this gives me enough time to try to sell the car privately - so i threw on autotrader last night, and if i can score an ext ra $5k to $10k over tesla's trade in that's great, and if not i'll just trade in.
i got most of my pre-delivery tasks done, like DCU financing in place, etc. so that was a relief.
now, my biggest issue - FSD 10.8 seems to have largely improved. my neighbor "made me" remove FSD, said he had it on 3 cars and it was a complete waste, though it sounds like it is getting closer to being real.
he also warned it would be "technically" correct, but not predict what the drivers around here are like. so, i question if/when FSD may ever realize say, a guy is swerving in his lane and don't trust him not to come into my lane, etc.
okay, end of musings....

YET SO MANY OF US ARE STILL WAITING!
it astonishes me how much Tesla is able to produce during the shortages. yeah, some missing stuff, usb chargers, etc. - and they need to be far more transparent. but given the choice, would i wait an extra month for my car to get USB-C or would i take it today and come back in a month? that should be up to me.
but anyway, they're producing cars when other manufacturers....are not. or are producing less, or removing some significant features.
Tesla - hate the communication, love the product.

They did that with my delivery in 2018. When I finally took delivery, I was told they had been fixing some transit damage whose nature I did not ask about as it was of no interest to me.

On topic posts are only allowed between the hours of 3p and 6p EST.

11p-6a is reserved for @uthatcher and @2021plaid gushing and others sophomoric humor related memes
The balance is reserved for discussion on updates, PPF, tires, other EV's, and things "that she said".

ETA: Forgot to mention that under no circumstances is anyone who has taken delivery be allowed to post here.
this post should be pinned.