Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that’s exactly my point. 7-10 days ago there was cars using 07823. Now they’re gone.
Yeah I've been monitoring them for the last week and I snatched that blue one and was super happy. Now there are barely any left with FSD and none with the color options I want, so I'm stuck waiting until a factory built one comes available. Tesla people say Jan 19 to 23 but I highly doubt that.

Pretty much agree 100%. i'm not aware of the tax savings - but even scrapping that 1) tesla is about $600 more than the 3rd parties, i'm really suprised 2) your number 3 is right on. Drive with old car, leave with new car - donezo. otherwise, i need my wife to drive me, or uber, etc.
note - for $11k i'll take uber or have my wife give me a lift. but if it's an out of state scam, it is $0 or negative, so yeah, looks like the trade in it will be. but, for my fomo, neuroses, etc. - well, i can do a little due diligence for $11k.
By trading in, while it does vary by state, but in most states you only pay sales tax on the difference that you pay when buying - the trade in reduces that.

I.e. if you buy a $100,000 car, and trade in a $50,000 car, and your sales tax (like in TX is 6.25%), then you only pay $3125 in sales tax, versus $6250 in sales tax if didn't have a trade in. Of course some states have more/less tax rates, etc.

By trading in, while it does vary by state, but in most states you only pay sales tax on the difference that you pay when buying - the trade in reduces that.

I.e. if you buy a $100,000 car, and trade in a $50,000 car, and your sales tax (like in TX is 6.25%), then you only pay $3125 in sales tax, versus $6250 in sales tax if didn't have a trade in. Of course some states have more/less tax rates, etc.
This is mostly only an East Coast-ish thing. The western states LOVE to tax on the full amount…there is no trade in benefit other than convenience out here.

This is mostly only an East Coast-ish thing. The western states LOVE to tax on the full amount…there is no trade in benefit other than convenience out here.
Thankfully not all Western states. Colorado gives us a tax benefit. That's how I paid $0 in tax on a 360k McLaren, because I traded in 3 cars worth more. "Saved" me $30k on that car.

These are going to be some fancy tail lights coming out. In my 30+ years in the auto industry, I have never seen a factory trying to reach production shutdown (lose production time) to "retool" for tail light and trim piece. In a line as slow as the S/X - that is a running change.
Elon: "We checked the logs. No one uses the taillights or headlights. So we removed them"

Wait, wait, wait…it was made very clear a week or so ago that supply had caught up with demand because there was a couple hundred Plaids available in the US. And there was around 15-16 available in LA to prove it. So I also checked NJ and there was a bunch. So @Tigers of course it’ll take weeks to clear out the remaining cars maybe more. Plaids are a dime a dozen, nobody wants them.

Never mind that yesterday there was 2 available in LA and none in the NJ zip I checked. Let’s not any of us confuse facts with what we want to think.

Not a dig at you @Tigers, I just get a kick out of last weeks story vs this weeks.

What am I reading?!!!!!?!!!?!

I think the problem is, no one wants the plaids but that's all Tesla wants to make. They probably have thousands of old ass headlights and tail lights laying around. They are going to have to start pumping out LR to get rid of them. After that, the rest of us are getting communialized to difused lights. Then, once I pick my car up, they'll add a tilting screen, none of which will be retrofittable.

These are going to be some fancy tail lights coming out. In my 30+ years in the auto industry, I have never seen a factory trying to reach production shutdown (lose production time) to "retool" for tail light and trim piece. In a line as slow as the S/X - that is a running change.

You're still a new fanboy. Give it time. This is the "denial" stage.

Last edited:

Also note that in some situations this trade in deduction can help you qualify for certain credits when you wouldn't otherwise. When I bought my 2019 M3P, the total price was something like $67k, which meant I would not have qualified for the MD EV tax credit ($3000 at the time), which had a hard cap of $60k purchase price (no phase out). With the credit from the trade in of my Audi S5, the actual purchase price was around $20k, do I got the credit. Pretty slick.

Keep this in mind if they pass that federal ev credit with some kind of price limit.

Before delivery and after you get the check, he’s going to introduce an agent who’s picking it up for you. He’ll ask you to pay this agent something like $1000. He’ll never come for the car and that money will be gone….
Thanks. Never considered that. Now the question is how much entertainment value is there in me playing games with this guy?

Also note that in some situations this trade in deduction can help you qualify for certain credits when you wouldn't otherwise. When I bought my 2019 M3P, the total price was something like $67k, which meant I would not have qualified for the MD EV tax credit ($3000 at the time), which had a hard cap of $60k purchase price (no phase out). With the credit from the trade in of my Audi S5, the actual purchase price was around $20k, do I got the credit. Pretty slick.

Keep this in mind if they pass that federal ev credit with some kind of price limit.
That is awesome! Never considered the ramifications!

Thanks. Never considered that. Now the question is how much entertainment value is there in me playing games with this guy?
Loads. Like those a-holes calling from the 'IRS' and other fictitious collection agencies. I sometimes put them on speaker in meetings, throw on a heavy accent and go at it....

Man, I'm so pathetic. Ordered another existing inventory car because I'm not sure when the other 2 will ever get here; I doubt the SA on the phone was correct in saying Jan 19 to 23 for the one that had its VIN pulled. Because I did all the financing stuff I want to make sure I didn't do it all for nothing. Blue with cream interior rather than blue with black/white. Who knows, maybe I'll like cream more. This one was built Jan 4 according to the source code.

For anyone curious, had the PS4 all seasons installed today on the Arachnids. 265/35/21 front, 295/35/21 rear.

Ride quality is nice, no major difference there - responsiveness is solid and road feel is better (was a high of 40° today). Road noise is definitely present/louder - the A/S comes without the foam inside. BUT, not as bad as I expected - the audible difference isn't much. ARNR doesn't seem as useful with the A/S, but it's not loud enough to be upsetting. Still quieter than my last car that with 18s and 45 sidewalls. (@planetary - tagging you here to confirm the PS4 A/S do NOT come with the foam of the OEM PS4s).

Speedo is off by maybe 0.5% or less. During testing and with my wife driving next to me a constant 30, mine read 30; at 60, mine read 59, and at 70, mine read 68. Obviously very unscientific testing, but seems okay after about 10 miles of driving.

View attachment 750576
Any concern with problems with ABS or traction control given the diameter is off by >3%?

Man, I'm so pathetic. Ordered another existing inventory car because I'm not sure when the other 2 will ever get here; I doubt the SA on the phone was correct in saying Jan 19 to 23 for the one that had its VIN pulled. Because I did all the financing stuff I want to make sure I didn't do it all for nothing. Blue with cream interior rather than blue with black/white. Who knows, maybe I'll like cream more. This one was built Jan 4 according to the source code.
Nothing pathetic about taking control of when you'll get your car. I wish I had known about the option of accepting an inventory car many months ago. Frankly, I feel like I was the pathetic one for waiting passively while so many people who ordered many months after me got cars. Based on what I've seen, I'm probably in the 95th percentile for duration of wait, and I feel like Tesla is still not done trying to screw me. Got my NF464 vin on 1/6 with first available delivery on 1/21. While others (not west coasters, either) have received 467 and 468 vins that have or will be taking delivery before me. Not a big deal, but it's just one more thing.

Get your car and enjoy, I say. I'm sure you'll love cream interior too.