Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing pathetic about taking control of when you'll get your car. I wish I had known about the option of accepting an inventory car many months ago. Frankly, I feel like I was the pathetic one for waiting passively while so many people who ordered many months after me got cars. Based on what I've seen, I'm probably in the 95th percentile for duration of wait, and I feel like Tesla is still not done trying to screw me. Got my NF464 vin on 1/6 with first available delivery on 1/21. While others (not west coasters, either) have received 467 and 468 vins that have or will be taking delivery before me. Not a big deal, but it's just one more thing.

Get your car and enjoy, I say. I'm sure you'll love cream interior too.
Sorry to hear that :(. Tesla doesn't seem to be as up front with deliveries, etc as competitors.

This one is at the end of the 465s and they already want me to schedule delivery. Promising thus far. Cream might be ok, thought white looked a little stark but definitely more modern.

TMC family/Brain trust,
help please.
I got the same offers within a few dollars from the major third parties out there (givemethevin, varoom, carvana, etc.) and Tesla was actually a few dollars more. a trade in is pretty darn easy.
I posted on AutoTrader without much love. and then a fella agreed to my price, just beat me up for like 5 seconds, and agreed. I think he's fraudulent but not sure.
Only one other guy was actually legit for sure - lives nearby, i looked him up, he asked me a zillion questions, and never called back. but I believe he's real.
this other guy though -- agreed, said he'd send a bank check (bank of america) and he'll have the car picked up after the check clears.
i didn't give him my cell, but did give my office number, and my email. he emailed me to confirm my address, mostly right, with some extra digits on the zip. made me think he's not in the US.
his email gave me pause, was weird, and gmail.
so, ignored him.
today he claimes he mailed the check, a problem with UPS so he sent post office. he gave me a tracking number, it shows from Mississippi. He told me he's in Orlando and the check is coming from Florida (so yeah, more hackles).
i previously looked up his name and if true i found him in orlando, but who knows?
this is for $11k more than the trade in. so, for $11k i can play a little.
I got tesla to send me the updated MVPA with my trade in, and sent that to DCU today, and also let DCU knwo i may not trade in.
this guy did NOT ask about my title - i do NOT have title in hand.
So here's what i'm thinking - if i get the check, bring to bank of america, and they cash it, then i'm golden. done.
if i deposit into my BOA account, i think i run the real risk of them pulling it out of my account after a few days. i think that's a common scam.
I can't imagine any world in which a real buyer would pay $49k and the only question was, "can we drop from $49,999 to $49k?
no question about the condition, i mentioned a prior accident, etc. No question about title in hand. nothing.
he mentioned he arranged for transportation, i asked, he said he'd have a guy come to drive it, i mentioned or reminded that i had an extra set of wheels included, and it would be cramped in the car with all 4 wheels inside, he thanked me and said he'd send a trailer.
he had an accident, i don't know if Haitian, West Indies, etc. - not trying to sound racist, etc. but trying to get some perspective here. his prior email, which had no hits, but had some words in it, well, i checked, and i ended up on a facebook page that seemed to be kenyan. he might be exporting to kenya - i don't know, i don't care, if legit, he can do as he pleases.
i have the ibby jeebies (however you spell them) but for $11k, yeah, i'd like it. but i don't want to get burned. Aside from "trust my instincts" is there ANY way i can get burned if i have the bank cash the check?
i appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, i haven't sold a car myself in 20 years, and there was a lot less scamming back then.
Screams "SCAM."

In selling an older BMW we received a "cashier's check," with a color watermark no less, from a bank that no longer existed and a fraudulent account. Yeah, we didn't ship the car . . . . Your bank will gladly deposit the check, only to advise you in a few days that the check is no good. And by then your car is gone to who knows where.

Strongly recommend that you ask him or her to wire the funds and then ship the car after your bank confirms that funds are 100% good, which will take a few days at least. With this request, you'll never hear from your "buyer" again as he or she is just another crook.

There are MANY crooks stealing cars for sale; be very careful!

Thanks. Never considered that. Now the question is how much entertainment value is there in me playing games with this guy?
Agreed!

He's a crook so feel free to string him alooooong for as long as you can.

Have him send you a check, then call the bank where it's drawn from to see how hard it'll bounce.

My "cashier's check" was from a bank branch that no longer existed, and from a company in yet another state up the East coast, that no longer existed either . . . yet the check looked soooo real!

We didn't send the check back, but I did call or text him back to advise that the check was bad and to please send a good check so I could ship him the car:)

• Funny
Reactions: Tigers
TMC family/Brain trust,
help please.
I got the same offers within a few dollars from the major third parties out there (givemethevin, varoom, carvana, etc.) and Tesla was actually a few dollars more. a trade in is pretty darn easy.
I posted on AutoTrader without much love. and then a fella agreed to my price, just beat me up for like 5 seconds, and agreed. I think he's fraudulent but not sure.
Only one other guy was actually legit for sure - lives nearby, i looked him up, he asked me a zillion questions, and never called back. but I believe he's real.
this other guy though -- agreed, said he'd send a bank check (bank of america) and he'll have the car picked up after the check clears.
i didn't give him my cell, but did give my office number, and my email. he emailed me to confirm my address, mostly right, with some extra digits on the zip. made me think he's not in the US.
his email gave me pause, was weird, and gmail.
so, ignored him.
today he claimes he mailed the check, a problem with UPS so he sent post office. he gave me a tracking number, it shows from Mississippi. He told me he's in Orlando and the check is coming from Florida (so yeah, more hackles).
i previously looked up his name and if true i found him in orlando, but who knows?
this is for $11k more than the trade in. so, for $11k i can play a little.
I got tesla to send me the updated MVPA with my trade in, and sent that to DCU today, and also let DCU knwo i may not trade in.
this guy did NOT ask about my title - i do NOT have title in hand.
So here's what i'm thinking - if i get the check, bring to bank of america, and they cash it, then i'm golden. done.
if i deposit into my BOA account, i think i run the real risk of them pulling it out of my account after a few days. i think that's a common scam.
I can't imagine any world in which a real buyer would pay $49k and the only question was, "can we drop from $49,999 to $49k?
no question about the condition, i mentioned a prior accident, etc. No question about title in hand. nothing.
he mentioned he arranged for transportation, i asked, he said he'd have a guy come to drive it, i mentioned or reminded that i had an extra set of wheels included, and it would be cramped in the car with all 4 wheels inside, he thanked me and said he'd send a trailer.
he had an accident, i don't know if Haitian, West Indies, etc. - not trying to sound racist, etc. but trying to get some perspective here. his prior email, which had no hits, but had some words in it, well, i checked, and i ended up on a facebook page that seemed to be kenyan. he might be exporting to kenya - i don't know, i don't care, if legit, he can do as he pleases.
i have the ibby jeebies (however you spell them) but for $11k, yeah, i'd like it. but i don't want to get burned. Aside from "trust my instincts" is there ANY way i can get burned if i have the bank cash the check?
i appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, i haven't sold a car myself in 20 years, and there was a lot less scamming back then.
@ImaGaryGnu, you go through lot of drama quite often for sure :)

Screams "SCAM."

In selling an older BMW we received a "cashier's check," with a color watermark no less, from a bank that no longer existed and a fraudulent account. Yeah, we didn't ship the car . . . . Your bank will gladly deposit the check, only to advise you in a few days that the check is no good. And by then your car is gone to who knows where.

Strongly recommend that you ask him or her to wire the funds and then ship the car after your bank confirms that funds are 100% good, which will take a few days at least. With this request, you'll never hear from your "buyer" again as he or she is just another crook.

There are MANY crooks stealing cars for sale; be very careful!
thanks. I figured i'd go to BOA with a BOA check and say, "gimme the cash, please" - and either they will or they won't.
i don't think he's for real.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Interesting post from another thread.
Yup saw that. However I suggest you read these posts. Really important. Should help:

The best way for sure to measure power is by the CANbus, which will give power at the battery, which can then be calculated to the motor shaft (which the car is rated at) and wheel hp.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and EMEV
It is actually not the same on the S as the 3 and Y. And it's not the HVAC, it's the heatpump, which a fix for is rolling out right now:

The heat pump isn't considered a part of the HVAC system? This was an issue last year for many owners too. Don't understand why it wasn't addressed all of 2020 or 2021. There are tons of threads on here all the way back to winter 2020 of people having the heat pump shitting itself. They are going to have to recall this thing.

Last edited:
Has anyone here had HVAC issues? The model 3/y design is god awful, apparently. Assume it is all the same.
Only "issue" I've had: I notice occasional footwell cold air. It's not consistent. Working hypothesis: when the car is maintaining equilibrium at a target temp, it seems to prefer to dump cold air into the footwell (at least driver side). There have been some reports of people thinking their car is taking in outside air directly (i.e. a hole/leak somewhere) -- which, in the winter, would feel similar to what I'm describing here.

The heat pump isn't considered a part of the HVAC system? This dad was an issue last year for many owners too. Don't understand why it wasn't addressed all of 2020 or 2021. There are tons of threads on here all the way back to winter 2020 of people having the heat pump shitting itself. They are going to have to recall this thing.
Yeah they likely won't. Or they will do what mm loves to call a "recall" but is just a SW update lol.

Yeah they likely won't. Or they will do what mm loves to call a "reca" but is just a SW update lol.

Didn't they replace a bunch of physical components last year? I guess perhaps that fix needs to be done to more of them. Idk. I doubt software is the fix. Don't believe Elon at all.

Edit: this was 7 months ago, they had a service bulletin about replacing heat pump parts

Elon trying to say that this issue, which may have been a thing since day one that required some to have their heat pump rebuilt, all of a sudden is a simple software update?

I wasn't born yesterday. I might drop dead today, but I sure as hell wasn't born yesterday.

Last edited:
I was assigned a VIN last week with delivery slated for end of January and I accepted the delivery date. I now have a conflict with that timeframe and won’t be able to take any deliveries over the next 30 days. I called main Tesla number requesting delay for a new VIN and they said that the service manager at my local dealer will have to get back to me as to whether or not I would lose the order entirely. I did have a previous VIN delivered but it had several issues that the dealer tried to correct and it kept getting drawn out so I ultimately rejected that car after a supposed 2 to 3 day fix was turning into 2 to 3 weeks. After rejecting only that one vehicle, does the local sales manager have the power to decide whether I can get a second new VIN assigned at this point? I had not heard of that before. In summary I rejected one previous delivery and I’m now seeking to reject a pending delivery but stuck on waiting to hear from local sales manager for approval. Any suggestions or similar experience?

Model S LR

After rejecting only that one vehicle, does the local sales manager have the power to decide whether I can get a second new VIN assigned at this point?
You mean after rejecting two vehicles can they decide to not assign you a third. Probably, yes. Look at the details in your order agreement. (Terms vary depending on when you ordered.)

Has anyone here had HVAC issues? The model 3/y design is god awful, apparently. Assume it is all the same.
Just curious what you are looking for in an answer.

I would like to know for those who had their refreshed S back months ago when it was rainy or humid if they suffered from the AC stink that some M3 and MYs exhibited. Some have described it as smelling like ketchup, vinegar, generally unpleasant. I have had two "cleanings' by mobile service in the past 18 months to counter that stink with my 2018 M3. No issues with my 2017 MS.

Or were you looking for other answers - data?

Cheers

Just curious what you are looking for in an answer.

I would like to know for those who had their refreshed S back months ago when it was rainy or humid if they suffered from the AC stink that some M3 and MYs exhibited. Some have described it as smelling like ketchup, vinegar, generally unpleasant. I have had two "cleanings' by mobile service in the past 18 months to counter that stink with my 2018 M3. No issues with my 2017 MS.

Or were you looking for other answers - data?

Cheers
Yeah so the systems are actually not the same between Model 3 and Y, and Rich Rebuilds made a comment when they were looking at the S, and he said they learned and finally moved the cabin filter away from moisture, to fix that really bad mildew smell that used to develop on the 3 and Y.

Yeah so the systems are actually not the same between Model 3 and Y, and Rich Rebuilds made a comment when they were looking at the S, and he said they learned and finally moved the cabin filter away from moisture, to fix that really bad mildew smell that used to develop on the 3 and Y.

Oh damn they fixed the mildew issue? I don't remember him mentioning that. Was it on twitter or something? I only remember one Plaid video from Rich.

Is the heat pump a different design though? They could have just placed the filter in a different location but still have a similar heat pump design.