Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, my EDD just got narrowed to a 2-week window for the second time. Hopefully that means a VIN is imminent!

Also regarding the tires, it looks like the 19” Continental all-seasons have the lowest review score on Tire rack vs the other options available, which is disappointing. They’re labelled as “grand touring” tires with low-rolling resistance with the ContiSilent designation. I’m guessing that means these will offer a smoother, quieter ride (with the foam lining?), but I hope that’s not at the expense of grip. They also have a W speed rating (168 mph) vs Y (186 mph) for the Pirelli P Zero summers. I hope the Continentals won’t be all squealy when accelerating…I want to be able to take off from a light in effortless total silence, ha ha.
I’ve had no issues with them after 4,000+ miles.

Any thread inputs on the $2k discount for those that ordered in 2020?

Just took delivery of our MS LR on 31 January, from our December, 2020, order. In the rush of paperwork I didn't notice that the $2k discount was missing. Sent a text to the nameless people at Tesla and was told something to the effect of "We'll look into it." It's been over 24 hours and I'm still waiting . . .

Is there a point of contact that others have reached out to for the discount?

Thanks!
I assume you're referring to having ordered FSD at $8k vs $10k for 2021 orders. At the time of my delivery I was in contact with a real, live person at my delivery center (via the Tesla text relay that goes to a local-dish group of them, but they did introduce themselves by name). I mentioned it to them a week prior to deliver and they had to check on it. They came back and said it would show up within 48 hours of delivery, but actually didn't show up until 24 hours prior (as "REFERRAL DISCOUNT"). This is what others with the same deal saw as well.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Whatever the manual says, it seems irresponsible to deliver a car with tires that basically say "do not use below freezing" when it is actually below freezing outside when/where they are delivering the car.
If you want my honest opinion, I doubt Tesla has any clue where a car is going geographically when it is built and tires are put on it.

Maybe not, but they can still decide which location it is sent to after it is built. Who knows how they decide which cars they send where though. Could it be totally random?
Other mfgs have figured this out.

When they assign you a VIN, they know who you are. Tesla is a Technology company right?

When they assign you a VIN, they know who you are. Tesla is a Technology company right?
The same logic applies to EDDs. And look how those worked out.

I am pretty sure it rolls off the line and goes to logistics. No one is checking to make sure the right tires are on the car for the region. They barely make sure the panels are put on right.

Plus, is anyone really good at predicting weather? My weather man is wrong probably 50% of the time and still pulls a paycheck.

Maybe not, but they can still decide which location it is sent to after it is built. Who knows how they decide which cars they send where though. Could it be totally random?
I bet there are just tires and wheels lined up to be put on at the end of the line. And no one is saying "Wait, this is going to Bob in Maine. Let's get some all-seasons over here."

As someone mentioned above, if the brand Tesla uses for all-season are backed-up / unavailable, you OK with Tesla just kicking your order down the road? Or will you be sharing on TMC that you EDD was delayed further?

The same logic applies to EDDs. And look how those worked out.

I am pretty sure it rolls off the line and goes to logistics. No one is checking to make sure the right tires are on the car for the region. They barely make sure the panels are put on right.

Plus, is anyone really good at predicting weather? My weather man is wrong probably 50% of the time and still pulls a paycheck.

Other mfgs have figured out body panel fitment, as well as EPA requirements for different states, and ship cars accordingly.

Money is better spent on building GF I guess.

I bet there are just tires and wheels lined up to be put on at the end of the line. And no one is saying "Wait, this is going to Bob in Maine. Let's get some all-seasons over here."

As someone mentioned above, if the brand Tesla uses for all-season are backed-up / unavailable, you OK with Tesla just kicking your order down the road? Or will you be sharing on TMC that you EDD was delayed further?
Sure, after 6 months, what's a few more weeks?

I just had a good chat with my local Tesla SA about the all-season vs. winter tires and he explained that Richmond and Raleigh generally all get summer tires since there aren't that many days in which the average temperature for the day is below 40 (which is true) and the summer tires are necessary to hit the performance specs that Tesla advertises. I think I'll give the summer tires a chance.

As for the more important issue of the lights, he said he hadn't heard anything at all, which would be unusual if it were imminent because they usually are reaching out to the local technicians by this point if there were a significant change in cars being shipped. He totally empathized with me, though, and admitted un-matching his own Model 3 order when he learned about the new computer.

My car rolled off the line yesterday morning around 6:58 a.m. and received my VIN about 6 hours later.

I just had a good chat with my local Tesla SA about the all-season vs. winter tires and he explained that Richmond and Raleigh generally all get summer tires since there aren't that many days in which the average temperature for the day is below 40 (which is true) and the summer tires are necessary to hit the performance specs that Tesla advertises. I think I'll give the summer tires a chance.

As for the more important issue of the lights, he said he hadn't heard anything at all, which would be unusual if it were imminent because they usually are reaching out to the local technicians by this point if there were a significant change in cars being shipped. He totally empathized with me, though, and admitted un-matching his own Model 3 order when he learned about the new computer.

My car rolled off the line yesterday morning around 6:58 a.m. and received my VIN about 6 hours later.
I asked what the chances were for All Seasons at the SC upon delivery, but I think I'm in the same boat. It really doesn't snow THAT often in Northern VA, but it was around 30F here for a bit...

We need to reward, some how, empathetic, honest Tesla employees. Perhaps a review on Yelp or equal for that store SvC location.

It appears Tesla couldn't care less about the customer facing assets.

Reactions: Ormond and jebinc
Read the manual. The 19” show all-season and summer options. But you do not get to decide. Tesla does. And Tesla does not promise all-season tires or summer times when you order. Tire specifics are no where in your order or Monroney sticker. Is it crappy that Tesla sends summer tires to the North? Sure. Can I currently drive my summer tires in the Deep South? Nope. So it is literally luck of the draw.

Some people have had luck where their uninformed SA promises them all-season to only get summer tires and then force Tesla to swap them. But without that, you are less likely to get them to just swap them out of goodwill.
Yup, yup!
Alright, my EDD just got narrowed to a 2-week window for the second time. Hopefully that means a VIN is imminent!

Also regarding the tires, it looks like the 19” Continental all-seasons have the lowest review score on Tire rack vs the other options available, which is disappointing. They’re labelled as “grand touring” tires with low-rolling resistance with the ContiSilent designation. I’m guessing that means these will offer a smoother, quieter ride (with the foam lining?), but I hope that’s not at the expense of grip. They also have a W speed rating (168 mph) vs Y (186 mph) for the Pirelli P Zero summers. I hope the Continentals won’t be all squealy when accelerating…I want to be able to take off from a light in effortless total silence, ha ha.
They will be fine. I have them on my Plaid and MYP. Quiet tires as well.

Sure glad I got my SA to put all seasons in writing like 7 months ago before they disappeared off the face of the earth. Honestly hoping the car comes with summer tires so I can end up with 2 sets of tires :cool:. Not that I'm ever going to get a car anyway lol
You won’t end up with two sets of tires. They swap them and use the removed tires on their service and loaner vehicles. Mine were “swapped” for free around 2000 miles.

You won’t end up with two sets of tires. They swap them and use the removed tires on their service and loaner vehicles. Mine were “swapped” for free around 2000 miles.
Much like everything else Tesla, that is inconsistent. There were a a handful of posts from people being able to take their summer tires when they got swapped.

Several people have reported asking for the old tires back and receiving them. Im going to ask, if they say no oh well. I dont know what id do with them anyway because im probably too cheap to buy a second set of rims lol.