Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps a silly question. Where in the purchase process do you indicate to the CA DMV that you want black plates? They cost $50ish, right?
I believe you need to first get the standard license plates. You can apply for the custom ones after that using the DMV website where they ask for your license plate number and VIN.
Source: I'm trying to get a custom plate and was exploring DMV website 😄

I believe you need to first get the standard license plates. You can apply for the custom ones after that using the DMV website where they ask for your license plate number and VIN.
Source: I'm trying to get a custom plate and was exploring DMV website 😄
I was under the impression that you can pay for black plates that are not custom (I don’t care what the plate number is). Or does getting them in the black color mean that they are custom?

I was under the impression that you can pay for black plates that are not custom (I don’t care what the plate number is). Or does getting them in the black color mean that they are custom?
DMV website asks for the plate number you wish to have, when you choose the black design. You can probably enter your existing number and get it.
Edit: And they cost $50 per year AFAIK

You do realize refresh+ took all the articulation hardware out.
No, I didn't hear that. Did someone tear apart their new refresh 2.0 already? Oh well, I guess they've changed their minds about the tilting screen then. At least we won't have the extra weight in the dash that will serve no purpose. Maybe we can get to 1.98s 0-60 now, ha ha. ;)

I haven't sat in a refreshed S yet. Even though it won't be able to tilt, am I correct in assuming that the screen is easier to reach from the driver's seat as compared to the old Model S? I always have to lean forward to reach the vertical screen in my 75D, especially for anything on the right side, but it looks like the new screen is closer to the driver.

Also, is it just me, or did they update the interior rendering of the Model S on the Tesla website? I thought there used to be a thin strip of what looked like ambient lighting in the silver trim piece on the dash, but that's gone now. Maybe they've given up on the idea of ambient lighting? It still shows the old headlights, tail lights and charge port on the exterior shots though.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
All fall under the same pretty much and the same cost. Only thing though if you customize the characters they take up to like 9 months to be delivered (my first one took 5 months and second took 3 months but that was a few years ago) I did random when i finally got my regular plates for my Model S and only took 2 weeks.

Perhaps a silly question. Where in the purchase process do you indicate to the CA DMV that you want black plates? They cost $50ish, right?
As others have mentioned you get your regular plates first and then apply for “Special Interest” plates later. (California DMV Reg 17). It takes longer if you want a “customized“ special interest plate but I received my black plates within a few weeks because I ordered a “next in line” numbered plate.

You mean personalized ones? You need to have your standard plates first. The temp one won’t do it-the online form won’t accept it. Just went through this for wife’s MYP.
Still going though this with CA DMV. Already had personalized plates, just wanted a different color. It's been 8 months, they say maybe in May...

Just got my "VIN" via text a few minutes ago. Dec4th, Plaid, Red/Blk, 21's, FSD. I have never transferred anywhere close to that kind of money, let alone within less than 5 minutes of the request. What a world. Refreshed door hinges, confirmed.
Told you you'd get it before me. Congrats. EDD still holding but expecting the push to infinity and beyond here any moment.

@WilliamG - I'm sorry but where is this metal grille? Inside the car? I'm a bit confused :p A picture might help.
Like was said, the grill on the front dash. Had mine replaced due to a dent from the factory. I think it can be pushed level.

Also, please do not ask @WilliamG for a picture. It has landed him in court before (allegedly)...