Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my Model S Plaid on 6/6/22 with a design studio delivery estimate of Jun-Aug and now the Tesla app is telling me September through November even though the Design Studio still shows Jun-Aug for new orders. Is this normal? My SA says it doesn't mean anything but I never know how much they really know about production delays.

I order a Midnight Silver Model S Plaid, black interior, arachnid tires, and FSD. Does living in SoCal matter? I remember years ago when I bought my 2016 Model S on the east coast it seemed like California got everything first. I know supply chain is a constant battle but haven't seen much about things lately for Tesla.
I ordered mine (same spec as yours minus the FSD) on 5/9. The website was saying June-August delivery. A couple of days later, my estimate changed to Oct-Jan, so I contacted my SA. He said, just fill in the details in the app and the delivery date should go back to the original estimate. Sure enough, a few days later I was back to the expected timeline but this time with a date range of June 17-July 22.

Then last Sunday out of the blue I got a VIN assigned and my Plaid arrived yesterday 6/9, well ahead of schedule!

PSA for all...

Calling the delivery number (option 2) is not a good idea. The regional delivery center does not have the ability to see the car, just the status in their system. But, they will emphatically say your car is all ready, and try to move your delivery up. In my case, the delivery they scheduled me for was 3 days before the inspection was complete.

Once you have confirmed with your SA that your car is actually at the store, and has cleared inspection, and is actually ready for delivery, and is not missing parts, then make the appt.

Plan for issues on the MS. Mine came of the truck in insane mode and suspension set to low. Scrapes and damage front and back. Bring cardboard to lay on and a strong LED floodlight.

Sometimes I have to ask myself why I'm such a glutton for punishment. My MS was ordered in June 2021. Two days before the one year anniversary of my order, I was assigned a VIN. The vehicle is in transit and should be delivered to the dealer next week. Currently scheduled to pick it up at the end of next week. I just found out about a new program in Illinois that might provide a $4,000 rebate to Illinois residents who purchase an electric vehicle (new or used) in Illinois. To qualify, payment would need to be dated July 1, 2022 or later. Of course, I asked if I could delay delivery by two weeks to qualify. I was told this wasn't possible. So, I had to wait a year on Tesla but they won't wait 13 extra days for me. The company repeatedly sends the message they just don't care about their customers and this is yet another example. BTW - the rebate program is supposed to focus on lower-income citizens but there are no current rules how that will work. Based on the scarcity of electric vehicles, I suspect I would eventually receive the full rebate but that's not guaranteed. Of course, there could be a defect or damage that might delay deliver. Oddly, I'm hoping for that. My M3 arrived with a paint flaw on the back that delayed delivery by three weeks.

First time poster! To start, I would just like to mention how much I really appreciate everyone posting all their updates, it's been helpful for me to navigate my own order/delivery. Wanted to share my own experience and add to thread. Original order placed 02/2022 (Red/White MSP w/21's, No FSD, cash purchase). Multiple EDD push backs (as expected), Most recent EDD was June 10-July 19. Then this morning, EDD change from June 19-July 10, then VIN assigned just now. Unfortunately, it was a VIN477 inventory car here in Arizona and not new from the factory. I decided to unassign and put account hold to avoid getting reassigned to that same car. Will take account off hold once that car gets assigned to someone else. Now, back to patiently waiting :)

First time poster! To start, I would just like to mention how much I really appreciate everyone posting all their updates, it's been helpful for me to navigate my own order/delivery. Wanted to share my own experience and add to thread. Original order placed 02/2022 (Red/White MSP w/21's, No FSD, cash purchase). Multiple EDD push backs (as expected), Most recent EDD was June 10-July 19. Then this morning, EDD change from June 19-July 10, then VIN assigned just now. Unfortunately, it was a VIN477 inventory car here in Arizona and not new from the factory. I decided to unassign and put account hold to avoid getting reassigned to that same car. Will take account off hold once that car gets assigned to someone else. Now, back to patiently waiting :)

Well played sir.

First time poster! To start, I would just like to mention how much I really appreciate everyone posting all their updates, it's been helpful for me to navigate my own order/delivery. Wanted to share my own experience and add to thread. Original order placed 02/2022 (Red/White MSP w/21's, No FSD, cash purchase), located in Arizona. Multiple EDD push backs (as expected), Most recent EDD was June 10-July 19. Then this morning, EDD change from June 19-July 10, then VIN assigned just now. Unfortunately, it was a VIN477 inventory car here in Arizona (popped up on inventory about 1.5wks ago) and not new from the factory. I decided to unassign and put account hold to avoid getting reassigned to that same car. Will take account off hold once that car gets assigned to someone else. Now, back to patiently waiting :)

It's my Plaidiversary! :)

Getting closer....

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 15.07.11.png

May all your panels be aligned, and your seats wrinkle free..
and have no scratches, no vibrations, a new build with headlights and swivel monitor, and all the parts present on the car... I'll take all the thoughts and prayers available 🤣
In the meantime, I'm waiting patiently for a VIN... along with everybody else browsing this forum daily in the hopes that it will accelerate EDD, even though it reminds us daily that it's a crapshoot and always far away.

What size wire did you run for the distance?
I will have to ask my brother for the specs. Ended up running a 5 wire cable because that was all I could get my hands on in the length I needed. It was a pretty thick cable I believe 3 or 4 gauge.. The wire is heavy and thick and not too easy to run in walls.
Sorry if that was not helpful, but my brother is the electrician, I just do the grunt work.

And here it is, exactly a month from the original order! Of course it's Juneuary here in Seattle so it's pouring with rain - not ideal conditions to test a neck-snappingly fast car, so I'll have to save that for mid July when the sun might eventually come out.

As others have found, the passenger trim is not very well aligned and I have the airbag worm, but otherwise everything seems ok so far.

The delivery guy was eager to get to his next appointment, knew almost nothing about the car ("I'm kind of new to Tesla so...") and wasn't able to answer any of my questions. :rolleyes:

View attachment 814760

BTW mine's the same on the passenger front right. The dash pad lines up perfectly but the metal trim doesn't. Seems like a design flaw since if the metal strip lined up the dash pad wouldn't. I don't really mind it as it is.

First time poster! To start, I would just like to mention how much I really appreciate everyone posting all their updates, it's been helpful for me to navigate my own order/delivery. Wanted to share my own experience and add to thread. Original order placed 02/2022 (Red/White MSP w/21's, No FSD, cash purchase), located in Arizona. Multiple EDD push backs (as expected), Most recent EDD was June 10-July 19. Then this morning, EDD change from June 19-July 10, then VIN assigned just now. Unfortunately, it was a VIN477 inventory car here in Arizona (popped up on inventory about 1.5wks ago) and not new from the factory. I decided to unassign and put account hold to avoid getting reassigned to that same car. Will take account off hold once that car gets assigned to someone else. Now, back to patiently waiting :)
So 477 is actually not old. Depending on what the 4th digit is you may in fact have all the latest features on this car. But to each his own…