Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to pick up my car today. I drove my ICE trade over an hour and arrived at the Tesla store. The lot was crowded. I quickly scanned the lot and spotted one blue Model S with 21” wheels. A service employee was parking it. I found a parking place in the crowded lot and went inside to speak with an advisor. I was a bit early, but was hoping to begin my inspection. I gave the receptionist/advisor my name. She scanned the schedule and didn’t see it. I explained that I was a few minutes early. She kept searching the schedule and finally asked for my phone number. I started to worry. She smiled and informed me that my appointment is not until next week. I checked my Tesla app and hung my head in shame.

Please don’t tell anyone. My face is still red.
I would think they would be happy to get the car off the lot and paid for a week early.
When I picked up my car I saw a SA for about 2 minutes. Confirmed I had the wrong tires, programmed a fob and put on the temp plate. Everything else was done on the App. If it were not for a severe storm rolling in I would have been in and out in 10 minutes.

And here it is, exactly a month from the original order! Of course it's Juneuary here in Seattle so it's pouring with rain - not ideal conditions to test a neck-snappingly fast car, so I'll have to save that for mid July when the sun might eventually come out.

As others have found, the passenger trim is not very well aligned and I have the airbag worm, but otherwise everything seems ok so far.

The delivery guy was eager to get to his next appointment, knew almost nothing about the car ("I'm kind of new to Tesla so...") and wasn't able to answer any of my questions. :rolleyes:

model_s.jpg

trim.jpg

worm.jpg

Yikes. Around here that would be $1200 job. My brother is a union electrician. I ran the cable and paid for supplies he did all the connections. I paid him in free healthcare. 3 hours start to finish. Most time spent finding path for cable to run from basement to garage.
60ft cable
subpanel
60amp breaker
Tesla Gen3 charger
$750 installed including parts
Sometimes family is the best.
What size wire did you run for the distance?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I went to pick up my car today. I drove my ICE trade over an hour and arrived at the Tesla store. The lot was crowded. I quickly scanned the lot and spotted one blue Model S with 21” wheels. A service employee was parking it. I found a parking place in the crowded lot and went inside to speak with an advisor. I was a bit early, but was hoping to begin my inspection. I gave the receptionist/advisor my name. She scanned the schedule and didn’t see it. I explained that I was a few minutes early. She kept searching the schedule and finally asked for my phone number. I started to worry. She smiled and informed me that my appointment is not until next week. I checked my Tesla app and hung my head in shame.

This is something I would do. 100%

This is something I would do. 100%

Story of my life. If I come to a junction and don’t know the way, I will absolutely 100% of the time choose the wrong direction even knowing I will guess incorrectly.

Hence to be functional, I write everything down and put all events in my calendar with the address. Navigation systems are my life line. I am always on time and never forget an appointment.

My wife who could navigate home on her own if dropped off in the middle of the rain forrest is perpetually late or a no show.

Last edited:
And here it is, exactly a month from the original order! Of course it's Juneuary here in Seattle so it's pouring with rain - not ideal conditions to test a neck-snappingly fast car, so I'll have to save that for mid July when the sun might eventually come out.

As others have found, the passenger trim is not very well aligned and I have the airbag worm, but otherwise everything seems ok so far.

The delivery guy was eager to get to his next appointment, knew almost nothing about the car ("I'm kind of new to Tesla so...") and wasn't able to answer any of my questions. :rolleyes:

View attachment 814759
View attachment 814760
View attachment 814761
Are you going to have them try to fix/ improve the passenger trim? I am not sure if I am going to mess with it on my car.

Are you going to have them try to fix/ improve the passenger trim? I am not sure if I am going to mess with it on my car.
No - I don't think there's anything they could do really. The (almost useless) delivery guy said "It's because of the glove compartment." So there you go. What do you want for $143,000?

My wife found some slug trails of glue on the passenger side carpet and the rubber trim above the phone charging plate is hanging down on the driver side. Minor issues though. On the whole I'm blown away with it. Laughed out loud at the light show and the music selection in romance mode.

No - I don't think there's anything they could do really. The (almost useless) delivery guy said "It's because of the glove compartment." So there you go. What do you want for $143,000?

My wife found some slug trails of glue on the passenger side carpet and the rubber trim above the phone charging plate is hanging down on the driver side. Minor issues though. On the whole I'm blown away with it. Laughed out loud at the light show and the music selection in romance mode.
The glove compartment 😂. Someone should publish a book with all the crazy explanations the reps come up with.

My lady told me they’d have to remove the entire dash and it probably would not do anything.

You mean this trim above the inductive charger? Mine is hanging down a bit too on the left side! I pulled it down fully and the clip looks intact but it still doesn’t seem to stick up fully. Not a big deal, but a bit odd!

Attachments

• 87284C36-CAB4-4067-8EE5-A4F4A9133051.jpeg
    87284C36-CAB4-4067-8EE5-A4F4A9133051.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 89

View attachment 814759
View attachment 814760
View attachment 814761
GORGEOUS DBX! Love the green!

Reactions: Ormond
OK, drove over to the Service Centre and glad I did. After waiting 15 minutes, spoke to someone who couldn't really help me. She said she was new and said she could find someone who has more experience who may be able to help. I said yes please!

I finally spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about - a breath of fresh air given my recent experience with Tesla the past few months. The SA was able to answer all my questions. Here's the skinny:

1. The car was manufactured on Apr 14;
  2. The car is actually on site up the street in their offsite parking lot;
  3. The car was rejected by another customer because they declared bankruptcy and their financing fell through (this explains the rapid match to my account last night);
  4. He actually drove to the offsite lot to verify the options on the car for me; I asked him if I could go with him but he said no :(
  5. The car is a perfect match as far as my specs go.
  6. No damage reported on the car and he didn't see any. He said it looked fine other than the fact that it was dirty.
  7. All season tires, matrix headlights, new tail lights and charge port are all on the car.
  8. Tilting screen is not :(:(
They had a MS LR in the showroom that was the exact same spec as mine but with no tilt screen and different colour. We sat in it and he reminded me that the screen only tilts 11 degrees. No doubt it would be a nice feature to have but I don't think not having it is something that would bother me when I'm driving.

So right now I'm thinking I should take the car. A reminder that in Canada, a luxury tax kicks in for deliveries on Sept 1 or later. I'd be pretty upset if I waited for the tilt screen and didn't get the car until Sept - that decision could cost me another $6,200!

And I'd have the car for the summer - which would be great. Only downside is I haven't sold my old MS yet - was hoping to not be saddled with two cars at the same time but oh well. Maybe selling it now rather than the summer would be better as far as the quantity of interested buyers are concerned.

Thoughts? If I'm missing something please chime in. Otherwise I'm going to schedule pickup for next Thursday 👍👍
OK, pickup pushed back to tomorrow at the earliest. Due to some amateur reconnaissance (and a bit of luck) I was able to get the skinny on what's goin on with the vehicle and why delivery has been pushed back.

I spoke to the Service Manager at the dealership yesterday (who I've been dealing with on my old 2016 MS) to ask him about inspecting it and providing a safety certificate so I can sell it. I mentioned that if he checked my account, he'd see that I'm picking a new MS up tomorrow. He then says, "That one? It won't be ready for tomorrow - it's still at the body shop!"

So rather than freak out, I calmly asked him WTF was going on. He said the protocol is for service to check every new delivery and the front bumper had a scratch on it, most likely from when it came off the transport truck. It would have been hard to see unless you got on all fours and looked underneath the car. They caught it when they got it on a hoist. The repair was around $900 and he didn't recall seeing any dents. So it would most likely be the same bumper with a new coat of paint. He said the rest of the car looked good - better than most of the ones he's seen lol.

The next obvious question was why hasn't anyone told me about this and why am I still scheduled to pick the car up on Friday? He didn't have an answer for me on that but would reach out to the last SA I was dealing with to talk to him and to let him know.

About an hour later, the SA calls me and apologizes for the broken telephone tag between delivery and service. I told him I wasn't pleased about them not telling me about the damaged bumper (even though I'm not surprised they didn't). We are now rescheduled for tomorrow although my guess is it won't be until Monday or Tuesday based on what the Service Manager told me.

As annoying as this is and assuming the Service Manager is right in that this model is actually one of the better ones he's seen, I'm still planning on taking it whenever the hell it's ready unless of course some other major issues pop up. At this point, I just want it to be over and done with it. Not sure I can reject and wait another month or two on pins and needles to see if I get something any better before Sept 1...

Ordered my Model S Plaid on 6/6/22 with a design studio delivery estimate of Jun-Aug and now the Tesla app is telling me September through November even though the Design Studio still shows Jun-Aug for new orders. Is this normal? My SA says it doesn't mean anything but I never know how much they really know about production delays.

I order a Midnight Silver Model S Plaid, black interior, arachnid tires, and FSD. Does living in SoCal matter? I remember years ago when I bought my 2016 Model S on the east coast it seemed like California got everything first. I know supply chain is a constant battle but haven't seen much about things lately for Tesla.

Ordered my Model S Plaid on 6/6/22 with a design studio delivery estimate of Jun-Aug and now the Tesla app is telling me September through November even though the Design Studio still shows Jun-Aug for new orders. Is this normal? My SA says it doesn't mean anything but I never know how much they really know about production delays.

I order a Midnight Silver Model S Plaid, black interior, arachnid tires, and FSD. Does living in SoCal matter? I remember years ago when I bought my 2016 Model S on the east coast it seemed like California got everything first. I know supply chain is a constant battle but haven't seen much about things lately for Tesla.
You can pretty safely ignore the early fluctuations. It does seem that deliveries nearest the factory get filled sooner. Also, we have seen times when an EDD goes way out just before getting a VIN and delivering sooner.

You can pretty safely ignore the early fluctuations. It does seem that deliveries nearest the factory get filled sooner. Also, we have seen times when an EDD goes way out just before getting a VIN and delivering sooner.
Hopefully that's the case with mine, which got pushed out about 4 months yesterday from mid July to now end of November.

View attachment 814759
View attachment 814760
View attachment 814761
Beautiful! Congrats👍