Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Faced with a dilemna today. Have a VIN - delivery is scheduled this weekend. Just found out that the vehicle does not have the tilt screen (VIN 477...). I've been told I can release this VIN and wait for the next vehicle to be assigned. I've waited over a year. I'm tempted to continue waiting. Tilt screen doesn't seem like that big of a deal but I'd like to have the most recent enhancements when spending this much on a car.
I put mine on hold for the lights, but I wouldn't have for the tilt. It's just not that big a deal for me. I have 1% FOMO for it. But, if you're happy to wait, do it.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Faced with a dilemna today. Have a VIN - delivery is scheduled this weekend. Just found out that the vehicle does not have the tilt screen (VIN 477...). I've been told I can release this VIN and wait for the next vehicle to be assigned. I've waited over a year. I'm tempted to continue waiting. Tilt screen doesn't seem like that big of a deal but I'd like to have the most recent enhancements when spending this much on a car.
I wouldn’t skip for just the tilting screen. It is likely always going to be something. Rates are going up, prices are going up, wait times are horrific. Take the car.

If they never offered a tilt screen would you really care? I get the new lights but a tilt screen? We talk'n about a huge screen tilting in my face while driving? C'mon man! lol

Opinions will be all over the board. Me personally, I’d pass and try for the tilting screen. Yes new stuff / changes constantly happen but for me, I still want whatever is the latest greatest available at that time.

The only thing that would give me pause is the interest rates going up but since I would be willing to pay extra for the tilt, I’d still lean heavily toward waiting.

With that said though, it’s really up to you. Is the tilt screen something you would use? To YOU, Is it worth the extra wait and cost associated with the higher interest?

I would just take it. I was faced with the same choice a couple weeks ago and decided to just go for it.
I don't miss the tilt screen.
But I'm really happy I wasn't assigned a car with the old crummy lights!

I would just take it. I was faced with the same choice a couple weeks ago and decided to just go for it.
I don't miss the tilt screen.
But I'm really happy I wasn't assigned a car with the old crummy lights!
Thanks for the feedback. I am asking about the lights and will use that as the go/no-go determination factor. Hopefully they will confirm that the vehicle has the new lights. They did confirm a very low odometer reading so I'm not concerned that this is a rejected vehicle - probably sitting at the Tesla factory lot for a while waiting for some missing part(s). Hopefully they are not still missing!

Thanks for the feedback. I am asking about the lights and will use that as the go/no-go determination factor. Hopefully they will confirm that the vehicle has the new lights. They did confirm a very low odometer reading so I'm not concerned that this is a rejected vehicle - probably sitting at the Tesla factory lot for a while waiting for some missing part(s). Hopefully they are not still missing!
It will almost certainly have the new lights. Hopefully you are right about the reason for the older VIN. The number of miles on the car has nothing to do with being a reject so look it over very carefully before accepting and paying for it.

BTW, my vote would be to skip it and wait for a current VIN. You probably won't have to wait long. The fact that you are asking means that having the newest matters and/or that you are concerned about other issues that that delayed sale or it was previously rejected. If there is any chance that later you will wish you had waited then you should wait now. My 0.02.

<pendantic>
I wish everyone would stop calling it a tilting screen (which means up/down) and call it a swiveling screen (left/right). Tilting really is the wrong word (look it up).
</pedantic>
If I rotate my head 90 degrees the screen tilts.

Tesla’s site says it’s a tilting screen and Tesla never ever makes stuff up.

Lights came out around 473's VIN. 477 was made at the end of April through May. You're overthinking this. I've had my car for over a month and I absolutely love it. You have nothing to worry about! Accept the car if it's in good condition and enjoy the hell out of it! ;)

I really love that Tesla is still advertising the car as coming with Caraoke. Over a year since these cars started being delivered and that feature is simply not there.

Oh yeah, and this too:

“The front trunk can fit a full-size carry-on suitcase, and the rear seats can fold flat at the press of a button.”

Uh huh. Yeah a press of a button and then manually pulling the seats down. The Model Y’s rear seats fold flat at the press of a button, Tesla! The Model S seats do not.
__HICA

I was sort of in your situation regarding the lights. I got one of the last one with the old lights and I am missing the tilt screen too but I have radar. For what I saved on interest rates, I am fine with where I am at. I don't like the looks of the new taillights and I can't see any real improvement in the headlights.

Maybe there will be when they finally unlock the features but for now I don't feel like I missed out on anything. OTOH my interest rate is 1.24%. At the end of the day, I worried more about the upgrades that I should have. Nothing so far in my estimation is enough to kick the delivery down the road, especially in light likely rising interest rates. I am enjoying the car now. It is so easy to get caught up in this and there will always be something better.

So if there is a significant enough change, I'll sell and buy back in, if the upgrades really warrant it. I like the car and glad I didn't wait. I finally got a steering wheel to replace the yoke and once I can install it, I'll enjoy the car even more.

As most folks have said, you'll have the new lights and charge port with a 477 VIN. My VIN was 476 and I had all of those but no tilt screen. I took delivery last week and love the car (although it's in service getting a lot of minor issues fixed (mainly slightly misaligned doors and bumpers) - the Service Manager said it's one of the better Model S's he's seen BTW but I digress).

The key is to try and find out why a MS produced in April is still available. If there was damage to the car and rejected by someone then I would pass. In my case, the guy before me rejected the car because their financing fell through and I was the next guy up with the same specs who took it. Getting the true answer may be difficult however. If you don't have a good relationship with an SA, they may just tell you whatever you want to hear. So make sure you try and get on a call with someone who knows what they're talking about so you can turn your BS meter on to try and figure out if he's telling you the truth.

I wish I had the tilt screen but wasn't prepared to wait for it. I now get two months of summer driving with this car vs. if I had waited for sometime in August or Sept to get the tilt screen model. No regrets whatsoever.