Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summary of Delivery Experience

Ordered MS LR MSM/Cream interior/19" mid September 2021 and initial estimated delivery was "Feb/March" (Ha : - ). Received notification that car left CA on August 5 and VIN appeared on my website that day. Given 5-day window for delivery and took delivery yesterday morning (August 19) in Dedham MA.

Delivery experience was excellent! I was given all the time I wanted to inspect the car inside and out before signing anything. Although they were very busy the Tesla person doing my delivery (Donnie) was extremely patient and helpful, answering all questions, making sure I had no problem setting up everything. While he was moving my plate and handling registration I had plenty of time to look over the car closely, arrange settings, etc.

Car came with summer tires, full mobile connector kit, and no flaws or concerns that I can see.

I will post driving experience with yoke, no stalks, etc. after I have driven it for a week or so. Initial impression is clearly more power than the my first Model S (2015 85D that I just traded in for this refresh), smoother ride, interior and audio is superior though I had the premium version for 2015.

IMG_3064.jpg

I was able to order via Tesla app, via website it kept giving errors. Another question, it says enroute to Tesla service center. If it arrives soon then can I just get them home and have them swap out the tires when winter actually starts 😀

View attachment 843042
Peculiarly those wheels (which I have a set of since I bought them for my 2021 Plaid) say they don’t fit/are not compatible with my 2022 Plaid when I tried to add them to cart… Weird.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Peculiarly those wheels (which I have a set of since I bought them for my 2021 Plaid) say they don’t fit/are not compatible with my 2022 Plaid when I tried to add them to cart… Weird.
Mine said the same (not compatible), and when I put in shopping cart and tried to check out, it kept timing out.

Eventually, though, it let me order them (and didn't prompt me again). I put my service appointment way out in the future (Oct) but does that mean they won't ship until the appt date? I'm going to bring home and put them on myself, I won't need the service appt (which is why I put it so far out).

You may notice the yoke is quite wide when compare to the steering wheel of a Model 3. You will end up with a bio steering wheel. We all crave for small sporty steering wheels. You may not like the big diameter after the conversion.
The Unleashed one I posted is large? It seems pretty round and small?

Mine said the same (not compatible), and when I put in shopping cart and tried to check out, it kept timing out.

Eventually, though, it let me order them (and didn't prompt me again). I put my service appointment way out in the future (Oct) but does that mean they won't ship until the appt date? I'm going to bring home and put them on myself, I won't need the service appt (which is why I put it so far out).

It really depends. I waited about 5 months for mine to ship when I ordered them the moment they were first available in October last year. Who knows if they really have stock this time.... They will say they're on the way to the service center from the moment you order them, and you'll never see tracking.

It really depends. I waited about 5 months for mine to ship when I ordered them the moment they were first available in October last year. Who knows if they really have stock this time.... They will say they're on the way to the service center from the moment you order them, and you'll never see tracking.
5 months of them holding your money? That's pretty garbage, but I guess I don't know why I would be surprised.

It gets better. I just checked my order details and it says they are being shipped - whenever that is - to a different service center than my appt is even at (at least both are reasonably close to me)...

As long as it gets to me by early Nov, I'm fine, but seems like I could be in for a wait.

Hmm they charged full to my credit card, assuming it's not a pending charge and and an actual charge they better have them ship soon. From what I have seen with any decent online retailer or business, you don't charge until you ship/or have stock and shipping soon. You can authorize the card etc but the charge doesn't post until ordered product is shipped.

But this is Tesla we can't expect them to have this things sorted out so who knows 😂

5 months of them holding your money? That's pretty garbage, but I guess I don't know why I would be surprised.

It gets better. I just checked my order details and it says they are being shipped - whenever that is - to a different service center than my appt is even at (at least both are reasonably close to me)...

As long as it gets to me by early Nov, I'm fine, but seems like I could be in for a wait.

Wait were you able to schedule appointment as well? When I ordered from the app today, all I got was option to select service center and nothing else. It just says enroute to service center as the status.

Edit: looks like after ordering I'll have to schedule appointment. I have one already to fix my delivery day issues but that's mobile service. Tesla app doesn't let me add another appointment 😡. I guess I'll just modify the existing one and add pickup winter tires 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Hmm they charged full to my credit card, assuming it's not a pending charge and and an actual charge they better have them ship soon. From what I have seen with any decent online retailer or business, you don't charge until you ship/or have stock and shipping soon. You can authorize the card etc but the charge doesn't post until ordered product is shipped.

But this is Tesla we can't expect them to have this things sorted out so who knows 😂
Tesla doesn’t work this way. I was charged immediately, and then waited 5 months.

Pretty sure no cars come from Tesla factory tinted. Never seen it.
SUVs normally come with the back windows tinted. (Since it is legal in all states. In some states sedans can't have the rear windows tinted so they don't come that way from the factory anywhere.) The Model Y and Model X rear windows do come tinted. (Though not as dark as some people would like.)

Picked up Model S LR Blue exterior and white interior yesterday. Ordered it early this week (inventory drop order). Everything looks good and still got the mobile connector charger in the car. One thing I be noticed was none of the windows had any tint, my Model Y came with tint on back windows and rear windows. Also anyone know how to tell if the 19 inch tempest wheels on my car is all season or summer only?

Currently scheduled to PPF and full tint 3rd week of September.

View attachment 842999

View attachment 843005View attachment 843006
Generally SUV's come from the factory with the back windows tinted. Sedans unfortunately don't get that perk.

Reactions: cartech
Well, another update for me this morning. EDD moved from 9/7 - 10/12 to 9/10 - 10-1. Another narrowing so I’ll take that as a good sign! I am trying to not get my hopes up but I am getting excited!
EDD movement here as well...moved from 9/9 - 10/14 to 9/13 - 10/4. Looks like we're on similar tracks and might be receiving our cars within a few days of each other!

Reactions: Derek_wagner12
Driving experience after couple of days with my Model S. Honestly didn't even take time to get adjusted to yoke steering wheel. Was worried about after seeing some reviews but personally liking it a lot. On the other hand really struggling the turn signals. Would have loved to have usual turn signal handles. Hopefully after few more days I'll get used to it and get it turned on immediately without any delay.

Last edited: