Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Input on Tesla QC.

Picked up another MS today, a 4880xx VIN, August 2022 production.

Two words: PRETTY DISAPPOINTING.

1. Drooping c-pillar interior trim, with large gap at top.
2. Misaligned front bumper at headlight/fender.
3. Wrinkle and tear at rear 2/3 seat back where it rubs against 1/3 folding seat back.
4. Dents, pick marks in other portion of rear seat back.

All at delivery. Pics to follow….

A. First mile of driving revealed rattle sound from front, center IP, near swivel screen.

Tried to get some addressed or at least recorded by Fort Worth Delivery Ctr, but was told to just file a service request via the app.

Elon: Ten+ years of building MS’s, and well over a year of Palladium MS’s, and you’re STILL shipping six-figure garbage like this?!? PLEASE: Either fix QC at Fremont, or start firing people.

Thanks.
DAMN, sorry to hear this. We would like to blame Elon, God knows he has his weirdnesses and personal difficulties, but somewhere in the management/service/engineer/ chain there is a breakdown. Simple quality control and trained personnel would be nice. But, isn’t that the case in every aspect of life. 🙃

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Input on Tesla QC.

3. Wrinkle and tear at rear 2/3 seat back where it rubs against 1/3 folding seat back.

A. First mile of driving revealed rattle sound from front, center IP, near swivel screen.

Tried to get some addressed or at least recorded by Fort Worth Delivery Ctr, but was told to just file a service request via the app.

Elon: Ten+ years of building MS’s, and well over a year of Palladium MS’s, and you’re STILL shipping six-figure garbage like this?!? PLEASE: Either fix QC at Fremont, or start firing people.

Thanks.
Elon ain’t gonna be on here. Tweet him and see what you get. Curious on the pics of all this.

Wow, that’s bad. Now I’m not feeling so bad not having the swivel screen.

Sad to hear QC issues. I guess I lucked out with mine, no issues. I was expecting something after following this thread since battery day.
I've been in a lot of cars, and it's not a joke when I say that Teslas has the worst QC of any car in anywhere near this price bracket. It's a complete crapshoot as to how bad it will be, and no two cars will be alike in many ways, and yet many cars will suffer from the same, ongoing QC issues (like the rear seat latch rattle).

Input on Tesla QC.

Thanks.
Sorry to hear. Man, I’m picking up one on Thursday. Blue/Cream. I picked one in June. Got lucky on that MS and is perfect. Hope this one is as perfect (August build - fingers crossed)

I've been in a lot of cars, and it's not a joke when I say that Teslas has the worst QC of any car in anywhere near this price bracket. It's a complete crapshoot as to how bad it will be, and no two cars will be alike in many ways, and yet many cars will suffer from the same, ongoing QC issues (like the rear seat latch rattle).
I almost feel like, as owners, we should write an open letter to Tesla published on some major media platform, demanding they start paying attention to QC and improving this. I could understand the first 5 years where they were just starting to produce cars in small batches and getting through "Production Hell". However, I believe they are way past this now. Why do we continue to accept this is just what Teslas are and still caugh up this type of investment? I guess everyone has a choice not to, but that seems like a nuclear option to walk away from such amazing potential. The most advanced and still best vehicle on the market shouldn't have rattles, scratches, dents, paint issues, and poor fitment when delivered. It's not that much to ask, is it?

I almost feel like, as owners, we should write an open letter to Tesla published on some major media platform, demanding they start paying attention to QC and improving this. I could understand the first 5 years where they were just starting to produce cars in small batches and getting through "Production Hell". However, I believe they are way past this now. Why do we continue to accept this is just what Teslas are and still caught up this type of investment? I guess everyone has a choice not to, but that seems like a nuclear option to walk away from such amazing potential. The most advanced and still best vehicle on the market shouldn't have rattles, scratches, dents, paint issues, and poor fitment when delivered. It's not that much to ask, is it?
After seeing the state of the delivery center area at the factory in Fremont when I went to pick up my car at the end of July, I got the impression that Tesla is really struggling to keep up with incredible demand for it's cars. The sheer number of cars being staged for pick up and transport was amazing, and there were a lot of workers in that area in a frenzied state. The delivery process was disorganized and chaotic, with them changing the time/location 5 times within 36 hours of delivery.

I believe the factories are pushing final QC to the service centers, and the service centers (at least the one I use in the bay) are are overwhelmed. Hopefully as the Austin plant ramps, that will take some pressure off Fremont and overall quality across the factories will improve, but I think Tesla's been building a backlog of quality issues over the last 2+ years that they'll be dealing with for years.

My car went in for service on the 16th. I noticed that the Service Center started working on my car last night from about 4pm until 9pm when I checked the app, and the invoice was posted and service shown as complete at 10pm. so they are working weekends and nights from what I can tell to keep up with service.

I had the same rattle mentioned above on the back panel of the touchscreen which they fixed. They attempted (but failed) to fix the latch on my frunk (3rd attempt via mobile service coming up in a week.) I think they've fixed the "dynamic drive control disabled" error although that message came back today for about 10 min and then went away, hopefully it will stay that way. I was charging today, at 32 amps on my 40 amp line on my Telsa connector, just like I used to with my 2017 S75, but it blew my circuit breaker, so I reset the car to 28amps which worked, but now I have to figure out if there is an issue with current draw on the tesla (ie. even though it's set for 32 it is drawing more?) or it could be my circuit breaker or connector. The service center said they'd fixed the carpet and trim that weren't attached to the side of the front passenger footwell, but it wasn't fixed when I picked up the car today, but I think I can solve that myself.

Last edited:
After seeing the state of the delivery center area at the factory in Fremont when I went to pick up my car at the end of July, I got the impression that Tesla is really struggling to keep up with incredible demand for it's cars. The sheer number of cars being staged for pick up and transport was amazing, and there were a lot of workers in that area in a frenzied state. The delivery process was disorganized and chaotic, with them changing the time/location 5 times within 36 hours of delivery.

I believe the factories are pushing final QC to the service centers, and the service centers (at least the one I use in the bay) are are overwhelmed. Hopefully as the Austin plant ramps, that will take some pressure off Fremont and overall quality across the factories will improve, but I think Tesla's been building a backlog of quality issues over the last 2+ years that they'll be dealing with for years.

My car went in for service on the 16th. I noticed that the Service Center started working on my car last night from about 4pm until 9pm when I checked the app, and the invoice was posted and service shown as complete at 10pm.

I had the same rattle mentioned above on the back panel of the touchscreen which they fixed. They attempted (but failed) to fix the latch on my frunk (3rd attempt via mobile service coming up in a week.) I think they've fixed the "dynamic drive control disabled" error although that message came back today for about 10 min and then went away, hopefully it will stay that way. I was charging today, at 32 amps on my 40 amp line on my Telsa connector, just like I used to with my 2017 S75, but it blew my circuit breaker, so I reset the car to 28amps which worked, but now I have to figure out if there is an issue with current draw on the tesla (ie. even though it's set for 32 it is drawing more?) or it could be my circuit breaker or connector. The service center said they'd fixed the carpet and trim that weren't attached to the side of the front passenger footwell, but it wasn't fixed when I picked up the car today, but I think I can solve that myself.
Do you know what they did to fix that plastic shroud behind the screen from rattling?

Two questions:
1. Is there a way for the drivers seat to go automatically back when you get in and out of the car?

2. Has anyone ceramic coated the white seats? My M3LR did fairly well after 4 years but was looking to protect the Model S from start? If so any feedback with feel of seats, does it work or if you should do it. Thanks!!

Two questions:
1. Is there a way for the drivers seat to go automatically back when you get in and out of the car?

2. Has anyone ceramic coated the white seats? My M3LR did fairly well after 4 years but was looking to protect the Model S from start? If so any feedback with feel of seats, does it work or if you should do it. Thanks!!
I believe there's a 'easy entry' option in the driver profile.
I ceramic coated my front seats and touch points. Not had any issue yet, although did have the driver bottom cushion replaced half way through due to creasing. I no longer wear blue jeans in the car though. I've switched to grey jeans!

I believe there's a 'easy entry' option in the driver profile.
I ceramic coated my front seats and touch points. Not had any issue yet, although did have the driver bottom cushion replaced half way through due to creasing. I no longer wear blue jeans in the car though. I've switched to grey jeans!
I have it set for "easy entry" nothing happens.

Does the CC change the feel of the seats? What brand? Would you do it again?

I have it set for "easy entry" nothing happens.

Does the CC change the feel of the seats? What brand? Would you do it again?
I used Chemical Guys HydroThread Ceramic Fabric Protectant & Stain Repellent. I'd use it again sure. I've not seen any negative effects and I've not had a mark that I can't clear up with a baby wipe. Granted I don't know if this is down to the ceramic or not. For $27 and an hours work it's probably worth a go. I'll do another couple of coats soon.

My car went in for service on the 16th. I noticed that the Service Center started working on my car last night from about 4pm until 9pm when I checked the app, and the invoice was posted and service shown as complete at 10pm. so they are working weekends and nights from what I can tell to keep up with service.

After readying so many complaints about the quality of Tesla, they are still overwhelmed with more orders. It tells us something. As long as orders are coming, they have no incentive to improve until competitions are catchng up with Price, Quality, Technology and Service. Also, ability to supply. We are very forgiving although we kept complaining. Many of us are buying Tesla again and again. For what reason? Something Tesla has that other brands have. Because of that, the culture of Tesla is to push out cars with known defects and rely on us to either ignore and forgive or send them to SC after sale for correction. That is why SC's are overwhelmed.

Sorry to hear that. It appears the production is a toss of coin. Good day bad day building team? Since we are on the subject, mine is White and I noticed the rear bumper appears to be yellowish when compared to the body. Is the bumper for the white painted? Or it is the base plastic color. May be they forgot to paint mine. This would be a stupid question to ask if it was another made. But for Tesla, anything is possible.
My PPF guy said that bumpers are made/painted at a different location than the bodies and he has seen lots of mis-matched colors because of this. Not sure if this is true, but he has worked on several Teslas.

My front bumper came damaged and the service center ordered one and said it was coming from Chicago, so maybe that’s where they are made?