Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've purchased a few Teslas over the last 18 months. Have figured out that the car arrives a day or two before the scheduled delivery date. I'll take a stroll down to the center to check the car out when I expect it to arrive. In this case, I spotted the car two days before my delivery date. Had a look and noted the flat tire and wheel damage. Proactively texted order support and noted this was an issue. They committed to fixing it. After some back and forth it turned out that alignment was off and they tried to blame tire issues. I called BS and said tires don't cause alignment issues and rejected. They were totally cool about it and had a new VIN for me before I left my original delivery appt. No issue for me. *sugar* happens. Always question and if your gut says bail, then bail.
I’m a solid 2 and a half hours from where my delivery would take place, but I guess it’s worth the chance to take a road trIp the day before. Wonder if they would have told you if you didn’t proactively reached out or just repaired it and moved on?

I’m a solid 2 and a half hours from where my delivery would take place, but I guess it’s worth the chance to take a road trIp the day before. Wonder if they would have told you if you didn’t proactively reached out or just repaired it and moved on?

My experience Jan 22. I was an hour away. I called and they said they car was delivered. I came a day before my appointment, saw the car through the fence about a hundred feet away. They would not let me take any picture, much less see it up close.

I rejected the vin as the car came three months early and I was suspicious. New car came a few months later, and I had the refresh 3.0 with the rotating parts.

I guess it depends on the store. This one, Camarillo, CA, was the best I could find at the time

Picked up yesterday, overall build was significantly better than my DEC21 car.

This said I drove one block only to get every traction control warning on the planet. Drove back, straight in to service. Fixed in an hour (bad wheel hub sensor?).

So far so good.

Picked up yesterday, overall build was significantly better than my DEC21 car.

This said I drove one block only to get every traction control warning on the planet. Drove back, straight in to service. Fixed in an hour (bad wheel hub sensor?).

So far so good.

What are your favorite upgrades over the 2021? Trying to decide if I want to take the huge monetary hit and swap

What are your favorite upgrades over the 2021? Trying to decide if I want to take the huge monetary hit and swap
The overall build just feels more solid. Otherwise, it’s practically the same. The new cameras are really good, roof definitely more visibility.

But my main takeaway is just the general fit makes it feel like a different car.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I picked up my MSP last night and really thrilled with the performance.. WOW! Coming from a M3P which I thought was fast, this is just mind-bending.

Soo.. I wrote the other day that my car and another one had a "hold for sensor".. Not sure if they resolved it or not as no one can explain that. Pretty satisfied with the overall quality, the only "exterior" issue I can find body-wise is the driver side tail light is not aligned like the right... Clearly it's a well documented problem.

The car is on 2023.2.201

Issues so far:
  • So, on the way home, I couldn't engage AP, which I remembered sometimes needs calibration until it's available. I checked and it appeared calibrated but would throw APP_w225 "Camera Alignment required". I did a camera calibration twice now, drove until it said it was calibrated and as soon as you try to engage AP, same error. I've opened a service request to get this diagnosed/resolved.
  • Driver Profile issue: It shows my "Tesla Profile", I click setup and set it all up. later it loses this setup and acts like it needs setup all over. I created a Manual profile for now. This is odd. and I've rebooted a few times
  • Games took forever to install, Steam still will not install, "Pending Download" - over night, still same.
  • Windshield glass seems poor. at Sunrise this morning, driving with the sun hitting certain angles, the windshield looked like it had wax residue. Got home and vinegar water blend didn't really help it too much.. Did take off wax/wash overspray that the delivery center must have used, but there is still some awkward haze almost like a lightly sandblasted look at certain angles in the sun. Wiped down the inside and outside a few times but it certainly is not optically clear like a new car should be.
Relatively little issues, but the camera one has me concerned.

Interesting observations coming from a M3P:
  • The Driver side mirror, well, both side mirrors are placed closer than what I feel are in other cars and my M3P. It has a disorienting feel visually. Just different and can't quite explain it any better.
  • Rear view mirror view outside, not as good but not a real issue
  • M3P is for sure more nimble feeling, MSP is a nice ride with sick performance
  • Rear seats feel a little awkward, even compared to the M3P, wife thinks I'm crazy but there is certainly a more up-right feeling... Don't care as I don't sit back there.. :p
  • The driver door is very hard to shut, I feel like I have to really slam it hard.. Wish this car had auto-close. Front passenger is similar but not nearly as bad as driver side.
  • Hope they somehow allow an option to also have driving visuals (FSD) on the big-screen. I've enjoyed seeing that..
  • Auto F/R is kinda cool
  • Turn signal buttons I'm like 98% accurate, but did hit the wrong one a few times.

Yoke rocks! It was awkward for 5 mins.. and in new situations a little, but overall, I've adapted very fast.
Hey thanks for posting this. Yesterday I also traded in my M3P to the MS AWD. There is a WORLD of difference between the two vehicles.
Here are my initial notes / observations:

Positives:
  1. Getting in / out much easier. The M3P sits low, and you need to bend pretty far to get in / out. I like the easy entry on the MS, seat pulls back when you exit! Model 3 didn't have the easy entry feature.
  2. Adjustable air suspension with geo-memory! The vehicle will automatically rise on approach to saved locations e.g., driveways, parking curbs, etc.
  3. HomeLink is an included feature! Was an expensive option on the Model 3. Previously I had used the MyQ app which was a subscription service. Unfortunately, no refunds.
  4. Premium connectivity subscription included for one year, was only for one month on the Model 3.
  5. Instrument cluster! I really missed that on the Model 3.
  6. Sirius XM! Not available on the Model 3.
  7. Ventilated front seats! Not available on the Model 3.
  8. About 100 additional miles of range...for those still suffering from range anxiety.
  9. Regen braking feels stronger on the Model S. Overall brake system feels superior due to larger calipers.
  10. Finally, a usable back seat with legroom. And the entertainment and climate control screen back there is a bonus!
  11. And finally, real all-season 21" tires instead of low-profile P-Zero summer tires. While nice to look at, I don't miss the turbine wheels that were basically sitting one inch off the road. I no longer feel every piece of gravel on the asphalt. And super easy to curb / scratch even though I was careful.
  12. Tilting / motorized front screen! You can adjust to driver or passenger bias. I didn't know we have this feature and I thought it wasn't yet available.
  13. Seats way larger and more comfortable. And the material feels better quality, more luxurious.
  14. Alcantara headliner and overall interior is more plush all around. M3P had harder interior surfaces on pillars and roof; overall acoustics not as good.
  15. MS just feels more solid all around and better build quality. It feels way more substantial. M3P felt 'fragile' in some respects.
  16. Love the rear fog lights! Actually I needed to use them this morning due to heavy fog and mist.
  17. Free 10K Supercharging miles will be posted in my loot box within 3-4 weeks.
Some negatives:
  1. Driver's door takes more effort to close properly, as you've indicated. Lowering driver's side window does help.
  2. The rear camera view appears to have a minor obstruction in the way from the trunk lid. I know this camera has been relocated on the latest refresh.
  3. Same issue with Steam unable to load. Will keep trying!
  4. Auto high beams not as intuitive as the M3P. although they appear to be working properly.
  5. "Stalkless driving" takes a bit of getting used to. Especially if you frequently drive other 'conventional' cars.
  6. Still no Apple Car Play.
Best of luck to those who have received their MS or still waiting on delivery!

The overall build just feels more solid. Otherwise, it’s practically the same. The new cameras are really good, roof definitely more visibility.

But my main takeaway is just the general fit makes it feel like a different car.
I'm coming from a MS 2020 to a MSP 2023 and agree, it feels like a totally different car. Obviously my interior from 2020 and the Plaid make a big difference but the overall build quality really feels incredible to me. People keep complaining about the Tesla interior not being up to par for a 100k+ car but I love it and prefer it over most any other interior. I don't want leather and I don't want buttons everywhere. Even the stalkless wheel doesn't bother me at all. Blinkers are becoming second nature after a few days. Using the screen to park or reverse isn't an issue unless you're robbing a bank and every second counts. I went from FSD to Enhanced and don't see a difference because all my AP use is highway anyway, and I didn't buy this car to have it drive itself. AP for me is for long highway drives or stop and go traffic.

They would have had to delay delivery for the repair so I would have asked what the issue was. I've had good experiences with the Service Center here so I would hope they would have been forthright.

I'm coming from a MS 2020 to a MSP 2023 and agree, it feels like a totally different car. Obviously my interior from 2020 and the Plaid make a big difference but the overall build quality really feels incredible to me. People keep complaining about the Tesla interior not being up to par for a 100k+ car but I love it and prefer it over most any other interior. I don't want leather and I don't want buttons everywhere. Even the stalkless wheel doesn't bother me at all. Blinkers are becoming second nature after a few days. Using the screen to park or reverse isn't an issue unless you're robbing a bank and every second counts. I went from FSD to Enhanced and don't see a difference because all my AP use is highway anyway, and I didn't buy this car to have it drive itself. AP for me is for long highway drives or stop and go traffic.
I agree on all your points. I really thought the stalkless wheel would also bother me especially the turn indicators. One day and i was hooked. I did go with the full wheel. This is my third Model S (2016 - totaled in an auto crash that wasn’t my fault and frankly, saved our lives due to the safety and how it was built; 2018 P100D; and now 2023 MSLR). I’m really surprised how the build quality and overall solidness of the ride has steadily improved. The interior is much nicer than what i had in 2018. My wife says the ride feels smaller but actually it is slightly longer and wider. There does appear to be less cu-ft behind the rear seat so says the dimensions. I also didn’t think i would care for the landscape screen (vs portrait in the 2016/18). The way it is laid out and the key difference vs an 3/Y of having a screen in front of you, leave more real estate for everything else.

I still can’t believe that I had no issues with pickup in terms of quality. They are doing something better for sure!

I'm a little skeptical or perhaps jealous, that there are no trim issues or seat wrinkles. If you haven't looked too hard, don't. Can't unsee it.

It could be with decreased demand (Post EOQ today showed 17 MS in SoCal, mostly non demo) that Tesla is paying more attention to delivery quality. If so, that's great for everyone.

Stock is up too. When it gets to 1000, I'll be able to upgrade. Maybe HW5 in 2025?

And no fooling, that Red LR in San Diego is like 87k now.

Reactions: Macbest
Hey thanks for posting this. Yesterday I also traded in my M3P to the MS AWD. There is a WORLD of difference between the two vehicles.
Here are my initial notes / observations:

Positives:
  1. Getting in / out much easier. The M3P sits low, and you need to bend pretty far to get in / out. I like the easy entry on the MS, seat pulls back when you exit! Model 3 didn't have the easy entry feature.
  2. Adjustable air suspension with geo-memory! The vehicle will automatically rise on approach to saved locations e.g., driveways, parking curbs, etc.
  3. HomeLink is an included feature! Was an expensive option on the Model 3. Previously I had used the MyQ app which was a subscription service. Unfortunately, no refunds.
  4. Premium connectivity subscription included for one year, was only for one month on the Model 3.
  5. Instrument cluster! I really missed that on the Model 3.
  6. Sirius XM! Not available on the Model 3.
  7. Ventilated front seats! Not available on the Model 3.
  8. About 100 additional miles of range...for those still suffering from range anxiety.
  9. Regen braking feels stronger on the Model S. Overall brake system feels superior due to larger calipers.
  10. Finally, a usable back seat with legroom. And the entertainment and climate control screen back there is a bonus!
  11. And finally, real all-season 21" tires instead of low-profile P-Zero summer tires. While nice to look at, I don't miss the turbine wheels that were basically sitting one inch off the road. I no longer feel every piece of gravel on the asphalt. And super easy to curb / scratch even though I was careful.
  12. Tilting / motorized front screen! You can adjust to driver or passenger bias. I didn't know we have this feature and I thought it wasn't yet available.
  13. Seats way larger and more comfortable. And the material feels better quality, more luxurious.
  14. Alcantara headliner and overall interior is more plush all around. M3P had harder interior surfaces on pillars and roof; overall acoustics not as good.
  15. MS just feels more solid all around and better build quality. It feels way more substantial. M3P felt 'fragile' in some respects.
  16. Love the rear fog lights! Actually I needed to use them this morning due to heavy fog and mist.
  17. Free 10K Supercharging miles will be posted in my loot box within 3-4 weeks.
Some negatives:
  1. Driver's door takes more effort to close properly, as you've indicated. Lowering driver's side window does help.
  2. The rear camera view appears to have a minor obstruction in the way from the trunk lid. I know this camera has been relocated on the latest refresh.
  3. Same issue with Steam unable to load. Will keep trying!
  4. Auto high beams not as intuitive as the M3P. although they appear to be working properly.
  5. "Stalkless driving" takes a bit of getting used to. Especially if you frequently drive other 'conventional' cars.
  6. Still no Apple Car Play.
Best of luck to those who have received their MS or still waiting on delivery!
I had the same issue with steam in the beginning. It started working after a reset.

So drove a good bit in two days at different times. In M3P the glass roof was tinted enough to not ever have a glare or sun problem (live in Florida). The new glass or the location (not sure) had bad glare downward.. slightly uncomfortable and thinking a small suction 1’x1’ sunshade may be necessary..

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I'm a little skeptical or perhaps jealous, that there are no trim issues or seat wrinkles. If you haven't looked too hard, don't. Can't unsee it.

It could be with decreased demand (Post EOQ today showed 17 MS in SoCal, mostly non demo) that Tesla is paying more attention to delivery quality. If so, that's great for everyone.

Stock is up too. When it gets to 1000, I'll be able to upgrade. Maybe HW5 in 2025?

And no fooling, that Red LR in San Diego is like 87k now.

Which red LR?

Is it normal that the navigation is not working at the beginning ( problem I am facing is that the direction button is not available, so I can find location but can set drive direction between two points..) ? Man I am laughing my ass off while asking this question but still..

Anyhow I took the delivery of the car.. apart of right side mirror and a little panel gap on front fender.. everything else looks sexy..

Yoke, man I love it .. easier than a round steering and who says turning is a problem, although I am laughing while making a turn 😂😂

Is it normal that the navigation is not working at the beginning ( problem I am facing is that the direction button is not available, so I can find location but can set drive direction between two points..) ? Man I am laughing my ass off while asking this question but still..

Anyhow I took the delivery of the car.. apart of right side mirror and a little panel gap on front fender.. everything else looks sexy..

Yoke, man I love it .. easier than a round steering and who says turning is a problem, although I am laughing while making a turn 😂😂
It’s fixed on its own