Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it seems they are still making 2023, I just got VIN assigned after waiting for 5 weeks, its 2023 VIN. I am not going to take it at this point since resale difference down the road is about $10k between years so makes no sense to throw away $10k on top of depreciation you take as soon as you drive it off the lot. I'll put it on hold and then hopefully catch 2024
Not taking a chance would have meant not ordering it a month and a half ago hoping for something else. Guessing they will give you one week extension and the same car.

Not taking a chance would have meant not ordering it a month and a half ago hoping for something else. Guessing they will give you one week extension and the same car.
That’s probably true, but since pricing hasn’t changed he could simply cancel the order and give up the $250 deposit, then order another car. I’m skeptical about the $10k, but if he really believes that he would come out $9,750 ahead.

Reactions: teko
That’s probably true, but since pricing hasn’t changed he could simply cancel the order and give up the $250 deposit, then order another car. I’m skeptical about the $10k, but if he really believes that he would come out $9,750 ahead.
You could do your own analysis of used Model S pricing, but for 2020, 2021 and 2022 at the bottom end of the market which I think is more representative of reality, 1 year difference between model years is at least $10k

This does not matter if you lease or hold car 8-10 years. It makes noticable difference if you hold car 2-5 years, IMO.

It's fascinating to see how some folks stress over the nitty-gritty details of a car's model year and start thinking about selling it before they even lay their hands on it. Personally, I prefer to simply purchase it, relish the experience, and savor life. If selling it becomes necessary, well, that's okay; at least I had my fun. If I'm fretting about $, chances are there might be some bigger financial concerns to address. Interesting perspectives, nonetheless.

Yeah I wouldn’t sweat it too much especially since we’re subject to Elon’s whims. He might wake up tomorrow and drop the prices another $10k hurting all of our resales. Or he could go the other way and jack up the prices. Or remove even more features (not that there’s much left) and make our cars more desirable as a result.

The only context in which I personally care about MY is if the year change comes with some new features, and that tends not to be how Tesla operates

Reactions: cwanja and teko
It's fascinating to see how some folks stress over the nitty-gritty details of a car's model year and start thinking about selling it before they even lay their hands on it. Personally, I prefer to simply purchase it, relish the experience, and savor life. If selling it becomes necessary, well, that's okay; at least I had my fun. If I'm fretting about $, chances are there might be some bigger financial concerns to address. Interesting perspectives, nonetheless.
Well, I've gotten it wrong twice so far. I bought in late November '18 and got a 2018. I got penalized when selling it for a being an '18 instead of a '19. Same thing in November of '21, got a 2021, which is worth less than a '22, despite it being a difference of a few weeks in build date.

This time determined to get a '24, if I end up ordering at all....

Reactions: ginmqi and teko
So I have some very unsettling news, shocking even!!!

The car is fine and everything was super uneventful. :)

They brought it out, I was there with my list, pen and disappointment at the ready ... and she looked great. Went through the paint, wheels, panel gaps, glass, windows, frunk/trunk, glove box, center tunnel cubbies, and it was all good. Pushed around some interior and exterior trim pieces and nothing fell out. After fifteen minutes I just gave up on the process and just accepted that the car was overall as good as one would expect and if I missed something I'll figure it out as it comes ... basically like any other car. 🤷‍♂️

Drive home was also mostly uneventful, although I did only have 11 miles left of range as I pulled into the garage. I didn't push her cause I knew range was touch and go and I didn't want to stop to recharge. She also yelled at me and took autosteer away at some point, so rather than pull over and restart I just disabled it and used regular adaptive cruise control which I prefer anyway because it doesn't turn itself off when changing lanes. The only glitch I noticed was the big screen went black at some point, but it came back on after a couple of seconds without me doing anything. It also looks like I made it without any debris pelting the front of the car so I think I'm good for PPF and tint next week.

No pretty pics till then ... just this one to show that she's home safe, and yes the plate is her name. :)

IMG-4297.jpg
Congrats! My White/White and Black is now 3 weeks old. She spent all last week in the PPF and Tint/Ceramic process. (Great shop but slow). I love the Red-Great color.