Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model SLR - Ultra Red - Black interior - Steering wheel - 19 wheels
Bay Area pickup
Est. Delivery: November 20 - December 25
Order Date: October 29th
No VIN

Hopefully I get to do a Fremont pickup again. Tesla Burlingame said Colma is their big pickup center. Upgrading from a Model S 2016 90D w/ 150k+ miles on it which we are keeping. Trade in estimate was $8k; but they said I'd probably get closer to $5k.

I was told by a SA there's no such penalty that prevents you from ordering a new one.
SA = Seldom accurate. Last year '23 VIN's assigned in mid late November, not December.

You can order another one, but you will forfeit the order fee on the first if you have already rejected a VIN.

Forfeiting the order fee is a order of magnitude less painful than rejecting a delivery, or worse yet, accepting a delivery that you should have rejected.

Ask me how i know..

Model SLR - Ultra Red - Black interior - Steering wheel - 19 wheels
Bay Area pickup
Est. Delivery: November 20 - December 25
Order Date: October 29th
No VIN

Hopefully I get to do a Fremont pickup again. Tesla Burlingame said Colma is their big pickup center. Upgrading from a Model S 2016 90D w/ 150k+ miles on it which we are keeping. Trade in estimate was $8k; but they said I'd probably get closer to $5k.

I'm sure you could do better private party. Even if the pack was bricked, worth more than 5k in parts.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I'm going to go ahead and cancel my MSP order and wait until 2024 VINs. After seeing an large influx of demo MS hit the Tesla website was the final straw. I believe the 24's are incoming very soon with possible changes. I know that Tesla updates when it wants and not by model year but all the pieces fit for a minor refresh.

I don't have any FSD transfer, no free supercharging, no tax incentive and I'm a cash buyer. It pains me unbelievably to wait longer but there's only upside to me waiting and no downside since I have no incentives.

Original order date 10/16 with EDD of Nov 18-25 - 2023 VIN assigned

Last edited:
This late into the game the smart thing to do would be to wait for a 2024 vin. Literally just a week or two away even if there are no changes at all. All else same, a newer model year will always sell for more. Just look at used 23 vs 22 or 22 vs 21 MS LR and Plaid on CarGurus

Last year MS changed to 23 in mid November
2 years ago MS changed to 22 in mid November

Last edited:
This late into the game the smart thing to do would be to wait for a 2024 vin. Literally just a week or two away even if there are no changes at all. All else same, a newer model year will always sell for more. Just look at used 23 vs 22 or 22 vs 21 MS LR and Plaid on CarGurus

Last year MS changed to 23 in mid November
2 years ago MS changed to 22 in mid November

Agree. I'm thinking it might be late enough I could place my order and get a '24 VIN. I'm worried the price will go up randomly. I want to lock in the $90k Plaid.

Agree. I'm thinking it might be late enough I could place my order and get a '24 VIN. I'm worried the price will go up randomly. I want to lock in the $90k Plaid.
I placed my order October 31st so hoping for same if it comes with the changes. If it's just a 24 VIN and no changes, doesn't matter for me as the free supercharging transfer is likely more important.

I'm going to go ahead and cancel my MSP order and wait until 2024 VINs. After seeing an large influx of demo MS hit the Tesla website was the final straw. I believe the 24's are incoming very soon with possible changes. I know that Tesla updates when it wants and not by model year but all the pieces fit for a minor refresh.

I don't have any FSD transfer, no free supercharging, no tax incentive and I'm a cash buyer. It pains me unbelievably to wait longer but there's only upside to me waiting and no downside since I have no incentives.

Original order date 10/16 with EDD of Nov 18-25 - 2023 VIN assigned
Well said. There's no incentive for buying now except to start saving on gas, lol.

I also agree with what someone else stated here about the price increase. Tesla might raise by a few thousand for these 2024 changes (if any) but they're not bringing this car back up to $140k like before...right? A few thousand above $90k really isn't all that much when you're shopping at this price point.

Well said. There's no incentive for buying now except to start saving on gas, lol.

I also agree with what someone else stated here about the price increase. Tesla might raise by a few thousand for these 2024 changes (if any) but they're not bringing this car back up to $140k like before...right? A few thousand above $90k really isn't all that much when you're shopping at this price point.
I completely understand that perspective. But I've got to tell you, after test driving the 2023 MS, I was totally blown away. It's such a massive leap from my 2006 MS 90D. Plus, the Ultra Red is ultra sexy.

Sure, additional features like a front bumper camera, '24 VIN, or ambient lighting would be nice, but even without them this car is already a game-changer as it is. =)

I completely understand that perspective. But I've got to tell you, after test driving the 2023 MS, I was totally blown away. It's such a massive leap from my 2006 MS 90D. Plus, the Ultra Red is ultra sexy.

Sure, additional features like a front bumper camera, '24 VIN, or ambient lighting would be nice, but even without them this car is already a game-changer as it is. =)
I test drove one last night. There were a few subtle improvements from my '21 Model S. Not much, but overall it seems like the quality is a little better.

I agree with a previous poster that there is a new noise from the center of the car that is really obvious with the HVAC turned off. I don't know if it is a pump for cooling the HW4 computer, or if it is the tiny fan that pulls air in for the temperature sensor. It could be a software bug that is keeping the fan on even when the HVAC is off.

I know my '21 was dead silent after the HVAC was turned off, although it took a lot of complaining, a few software updates, and swapping out the yoke to get there. Ahh back in the day when the yoke buzzed like a maniac. The bad memories. Why I am I doing this again??

I test drove one last night. There were a few subtle improvements from my '21 Model S. Not much, but overall it seems like the quality is a little better.

I agree with a previous poster that there is a new noise from the center of the car that is really obvious with the HVAC turned off. I don't know if it is a pump for cooling the HW4 computer, or if it is the tiny fan that pulls air in for the temperature sensor. It could be a software bug that is keeping the fan on even when the HVAC is off.

I know my '21 was dead silent after the HVAC was turned off, although it took a lot of complaining, a few software updates, and swapping out the yoke to get there. Ahh back in the day when the yoke buzzed like a maniac. The bad memories. Why I am I doing this again??
So you heard it too! It was me and @TheBurgerKing mentioning it.

Just got my VIN white on white Long range. I ordered end of october with estimated deliver end of this month. It is a 2023. I inquired about 2 week hold and was told this

“Hello, we can place your account on a one time 14 day hold. Once this hold expires your account will match to the next available vehicle. We cannot guarantee that this would be a 2024 model year as we typically do not start producing these until the last week or two of December and they often don't arrive until 2024. Please also keep in mind that these cars will be 100% identical as Tesla does not change features with model year. If you would like to place your account on hold please let us know. As a side note, we will not be able to provide an estimated window of when the next vehicle would be available until the account is eligible to match again.”

They also could not say if and when new updated features would come on new 2024s. I’m just going to take delivery. Now if I can just convince my wife to sell her 2017 Mercedes GLS and drive my 2020 model 3 and the 2020 MDX we have instead.
If you decline the 1st VIN, is the offer to transfer existing supercharging still good on the 2nd VIN?

Model SLR - Stealth Gray - Black interior - Steering wheel - 19 wheels
Colorado pickup
First Deliver Est.: Oct-Nov 2023
Second through last night: Nov 8-Nov 29 2023
Today now says Est. Delivery: Nov 29 - Dec 31 2023
Order Date: October 27th
No VIN
So I went from thinking I’d get it really soon to kind of soon to hopefully by year end for my FUSC transfer from my 2016 facelift 75D model S.

MSLR, Ultra Red, Walnut interior, Steering Wheel, 21” wheels.

Just declined delivery today in Austin, TX. Panels alignment was quite bad, especially on the driver’s side.

So don’t be surprised if you get instant availability on your similarly spec’d order in TX )

Placed order on hold for 14 days for now..

I don’t understand why Tesla gives so little f about quality issues like that.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Model SLR - Stealth Gray - Black interior - Steering wheel - 19 wheels
Colorado pickup
First Deliver Est.: Oct-Nov 2023
Second through last night: Nov 8-Nov 29 2023
Today now says Est. Delivery: Nov 29 - Dec 31 2023
Order Date: October 27th
No VIN
So I went from thinking I’d get it really soon to kind of soon to hopefully by year end for my FUSC transfer from my 2016 facelift 75D model S.
You’ll get your FUSC transfer whether or not they deliver by 12/31. Now you’ll also get whatever updates may happen between your original EDD and your actual delivery date. It’s a win/win! I ordere 10/20 and am hoping for a later date that the 11/10-12/1 which is currently listed.

Reactions: dsm363