Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
23 Dec order with a 6 Jan Tesla-initiated reconfigure to accept the new EPA ratings. My CT discount was applied in the cost breakdown in the App for both. Have you completed the requested steps to get to that point and do you have the App? That’s where you’ll see it and know for sure.

I waited until 8 pm on 12/31 to place my order so I could delay as long as possible and still capitalize on the $1,000 off offer for being on the Cybertruck list. Nowhere during the order process did the $1,000 discount show up. I inquired in the app and was told it would be applied at delivery.

Now it says my order was placed on 1/1/24, not on 12/31/23. Has anyone else seen this? Wondering if it will create an issue.
Save screenshots of everything. You should have a time and date on your order confirmation email.

Reactions: aerodyne
So, with Tesla, internal communication is not much better than external. The "Customer facing assets" , as Tesla calls the sales folks at the store, after are left feasting on scraps of info just like we are. When I mention TMC rumours, they often say, "I saw that too"

Visiting a store is often a waste of time. Like when I was told there was a Refresh at a store only to find a 2020.

However, if I message via the new car site, I always get a call back. Those folks seem hungry and a bit closer to the Mothership. If they don't know the question, they often say they will find out and call back.

However, expecting them to know about a retrofit of the wheel seems unlikely. A greater than zero percent of sales for new cars would be lost if that info was public.

I have been lurking since November and want to share my experience. Some dates are approximate as they've changed many times, and I did not write them down.

At this point, I sold my prior vehicle weeks ago (I don't have a second vehicle), have been paying insurance for a vehicle I don't have, canceled work trips, taken PTO, and called in multiple favors for rides. I can understand some flex in schedule due to the storms and the importance of being patient. However, it is insane to have me scheduled for five different delivery days... it also seems the roads from IL->MI are fine based on my friends in Chicago and Indiana.

At this point, I am wondering what my options are, and a large part of me just wants to cancel this order and put my money elsewhere. As someone who buys new every 12-16 months, this has been the worst customer experience thus far, including the fact I can't get around without asking for rides (not many Ubers here). Anyway - I'm not here to pout; I hope these data points are useful for someone. Cheers.

MSP
Steering Wheel
Black/Black

Order Date: 11/23, estimate delivery at the time of order: Nov-Dec
Estimate: 12/18-25
Estimate: 12/26 - Jan 6?
Estimate: Didn't write down
Estimate: Feb-March
Estimate: 12/31-1/4?
Dec 28: VIN assigned (2023, 531xxx)
Delivery Day 1: 1/9 - Cancelled on 1/6, delayed due to transport
Delivery Day 2: 1/13 - Cancelled on 1/12, delayed due to transport
Delivery Day 3: 1/16 - Cancelled on 1/15, delayed due to transport. At this point, I asked what the deal was and where the vehicle was. It's been in the next state over (Chicago), a ~3.5-hour drive to the closest dealership in MI.
Delivery Day 4: 1/18, Cancelled on 1/16 (today), delayed due to transport
Delivery Day 5: Scheduled for 1/24 - 'shipping delays resulted in more shipping delays, have to reschedule'

At this point, I am wondering what my options are, and a large part of me just wants to cancel this order and put my money elsewhere. As someone who buys new every 12-16 months, this has been the worst customer experience thus far, including the fact I can't get around without asking for rides (not many Ubers here). Anyway - I'm not here to pout; I hope these data points are useful for someone. Cheers.
Your options really are what you have listed out:
1. Cancel and go elsewhere
2. Wait it out

Does not seem like driving or Ubering to Chicago is an option and Tesla might not even "have" the vehicle at a dealership to deliver to you. Tesla is probably going to blame weather or third-party transportation companies (them blaming the weather) as "beyond their control".

Curious though - why are you paying insurance? I would be adjusting my insurance every time there is a delay. No reason to be paying insurance for a vehicle you do not have.

Reactions: Propofoln
Your options really are what you have listed out:
1. Cancel and go elsewhere
2. Wait it out

Does not seem like driving or Ubering to Chicago is an option and Tesla might not even "have" the vehicle at a dealership to deliver to you. Tesla is probably going to blame weather or third-party transportation companies (them blaming the weather) as "beyond their control".

Curious though - why are you paying insurance? I would be adjusting my insurance every time there is a delay. No reason to be paying insurance for a vehicle you do not have.

Thanks for the reply. You're right in that, they are pointing fingers at the logistics companies. I could fly to Chicago and drive it back, but that's quite a hassle, also considering it has summer tires on it.

The insurance company is giving me difficulty on adjusting the policy days so often; I am working to get that sorted. The other big wrinkle is in MI (Like TX?), state regulations require upfront payment - I have already taken out financing and paid for the vehicle upfront with assoc. downpayment. Tesla would not deliver the vehicle from IL without payment in full.

Makes little sense why the '24 MX didn't get Real ambient lighting.. unless it's the typical Tesla trying to prove their point that they constantly roll out changes.. or that changes don't line up "exactly" with model year.
For parts that aren’t shared between the S/X, the S typically got the updates first (headlights and taillights come to mind). So it is somewhat plausible the S would get RGB even though the X doesn’t have it yet.

But I’m not holding my breath

Delivery Day 1: 1/9 - Cancelled on 1/6, delayed due to transport
Delivery Day 2: 1/13 - Cancelled on 1/12, delayed due to transport
Delivery Day 3: 1/16 - Cancelled on 1/15, delayed due to transport. At this point, I asked what the deal was and where the vehicle was. It's been in the next state over (Chicago), a ~3.5-hour drive to the closest dealership in MI.
Delivery Day 4: 1/18, Cancelled on 1/16 (today), delayed due to transport
Delivery Day 5: Scheduled for 1/24 - 'shipping delays resulted in more shipping delays, have to reschedule'
Most likely, you car is being transported by rail and is stuck in the Chicago rail yard. There have been many articles written about the problem with cargo delays through various rail choke points.

Reactions: Deisic
I just dropped my MSP off at the SC for some post delivery "adjustments" :D.

"Hey, Mr Service Tech, I have an OBD connector plugged into the CAN bus, do you guys need me to remove it?". "Nah, we rarely use that port anymore. You're good."

I have to say again, I absolutely LOVE our SC folks here!

They gave me a 12/22 MS LR as a loaner (funny, the key card holder says '23 MS). I've gone from the P90DL to a Paladium build before which was a bit of a sensory overload but this is my first time going backwards a refresh.

The fit and finish of the late 23 vs the late 22 is remarkably different. Everything feels more solid. Door closing has a very solid thunk in the '23. I would say the biggest difference between the 2 has to be the ambient noise levels. Road noise and outside noise is massively more quiet. I'm sure that's due to the glass changes and maybe the ANC (not sure if the '22's had that)

Who knows, maybe you nerds taking delivery of Jan/Feb cars are going to say the same thing about yours vs '23s :D.

Just thought I'd share and give @aerodyne some FOMO while I can 🤣

I just dropped my MSP off at the SC for some post delivery "adjustments" :D.

"Hey, Mr Service Tech, I have an OBD connector plugged into the CAN bus, do you guys need me to remove it?". "Nah, we rarely use that port anymore. You're good."

I have to say again, I absolutely LOVE our SC folks here!

They gave me a 12/22 MS LR as a loaner (funny, the key card holder says '23 MS). I've gone from the P90DL to a Paladium build before which was a bit of a sensory overload but this is my first time going backwards a refresh.

The fit and finish of the late 23 vs the late 22 is remarkably different. Everything feels more solid. Door closing has a very solid thunk in the '23. I would say the biggest difference between the 2 has to be the ambient noise levels. Road noise and outside noise is massively more quiet. I'm sure that's due to the glass changes and maybe the ANC (not sure if the '22's had that)

Who knows, maybe you nerds taking delivery of Jan/Feb cars are going to say the same thing about yours vs '23s :D.

Just thought I'd share and give @aerodyne some FOMO while I can 🤣

I was already fully FOMO'ed before I got to the last paragraph.

But I will always have USS, until Tesla disable via update.🥺

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: teko and Grumble
I waited until 8 pm on 12/31 to place my order so I could delay as long as possible and still capitalize on the $1,000 off offer for being on the Cybertruck list. Nowhere during the order process did the $1,000 discount show up. I inquired in the app and was told it would be applied at delivery.

Now it says my order was placed on 1/1/24, not on 12/31/23. Has anyone else seen this? Wondering if it will create an issue.

Just keep your timestamped email showing when you placed the order.

Reactions: iwhiteout
Like I said, what discount?;)

Seriously, they're going to need to do a lot better than that. I guess maybe they figure they'll eventually drain to impulse buyers who walk into a dealer and decide they have to drive away with one today even if it's several months into the new model year.
To pile on that 3% "discount"...

I have a MSP waiting for pickup.

I am trying to get a concession regarding that 3% without cancelling. For a 90k+ car its real money.

In my back in forth via messaging after I explained all Model S and S Plaids are showing a 3% discount on tesla.com -> inventory filtered to S Plaid I was told by that anonymous agent:

"If you see inventory that is cheaper, there are various reasons for that. Some have miles, damage disclosures, some are labeled as a planned demo car and they have some discounts on it. This isn't something that all vehicles will have. There is no set 3% price discount on Tesla vehicles.

You will not get 3% off of a new custom order if that's what you're implying."

I called a Delivery Center about a specific "new vehicle" listed and was told it's mileage, build date and the cause of discount as "Tesla is incentivizing 2023 models right now"

I cannot explain the two explanations I have received. I do believe the second one though.

It seems to be an open invitation to cancel.

I am trying to get a concession regarding that 3% without cancelling. For a 90k+ car its real money.

In my back in forth via messaging after I explained all Model S and S Plaids are showing a 3% discount on tesla.com -> inventory filtered to S Plaid I was told by that anonymous agent:

"If you see inventory that is cheaper, there are various reasons for that. Some have miles, damage disclosures, some are labeled as a planned demo car and they have some discounts on it. This isn't something that all vehicles will have. There is no set 3% price discount on Tesla vehicles.

I called a Delivery Center about a specific "new vehicle" listed and was told it's mileage, build date and the cause of discount as "Tesla is incentivizing 2023 models right now"

I cannot explain the two explanations I have received. I do believe the second one though.

Inventory has demo vehicles that all have some listed mileaged. Then they have new condition inventory that don't say demo and don't have a mileage listed. Every single one of these is is exactly 3% off current MSRP. Some of the demo units are slightly more discounted.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Inventory has demo vehicles that all have some listed mileaged. Then they have new condition inventory that don't say demo and don't have a mileage listed. Every single one of these is is exactly 3% off current MSRP. Some of the demo units are slightly more discounted.
But those are marked as "demo" whereas I have been focused on those marked as "new". Every "new" inventory car us showing the 3% discount currently.

e.g. https://www.tesla.com/ms/order/5YJS...-87.8419&titleStatus=new&redirect=no#overview

They wouldn't help me either. My exact car was 3 percent off, then assigned to me at full price. When my order went on hold, it's back in inventory at 3 % off.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot