Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The DS is just flat out wrong. My 2017 Model S was delivered with it installed and I remember clearly how TMS forum discussions back then were clear that every Model S came with it installed and no SC would remove it for a customer.

The DS is talking about factory installed. My last model S, which I picked up at the factory did not have it installed. Depending on your state, dealers will install the front plate holder.

• Disagree
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Conundrum. Thinking of canceling. The DS says the LP holders are now factory installed and there's no way for them to honor my request that they don't install it. The PPF guy said it would not be a good idea to remove it with the paint so fresh and that it might pull apart the clear and the base. I can't even drive it until put painters tape over everything. I suppose I could drive it home and leave it for month and then remove the holder but If there's already damaged paint under the holder I wouldn't know it until after I take delivery.

And yes, I intend to drive without the front plate as I always have except my 2009 Prius.

Anyone have any advice on how to remove it without damaging the paint?
Step away from the edge! If you cancel, greater than zero chance that you will decide to order again.

Removing the holder is no big deal, it's just 3M VHB foam tape, you can buy it a Lowes or Homeless Despot. Saw though it with dental floss, remove the foam bits by hand with a 9 mil rubber glove, clean adhesive residue with Goo Gone or equal.

Reactions: chrisdh79 and sorka
Perhaps you shouldn’t plan on driving anywhere near Los Angeles. You may get a ticket for that even if legally parked at a meter on the street. Ask my wife. After the second one she put the front plate on.
30 years in SoCal and only one ticket for missing front plate. Now, I put the front plate under the back of the front pax seat, so when in a high risk area (LAX) I put it on the dash.

I have the CA legal plate decal that I taped to foam board, so as to not scratch the dash.

Reactions: sorka
Look at it like this - the painters (machines / robots) are not painting (programmed) the bumper and then realize they can screw off where the plate bracket is going to be and then go back to being perfect everywhere else. If the rest of the bumper is fine, the area behind the bracket is fine.

To be honest since it’s the law it should stay in CA. If someone would rear end you can get the license plate from cam in case they run away. A car needs to be identified all the time in public and front plates are helping it . It should be a federal requirement and enforced in my opinion.

Reactions: de Vere
To be honest since it’s the law it should stay in CA. If someone would rear end you can get the license plate from cam in case they run away. A car needs to be identified all the time in public and front plates are helping it . It should be a federal requirement and enforced in my opinion.
Do you have any data that shows vehicle related crime is more widespread or that the perpetrators get away with it more frequently in states without front plates?

So, I think the requirement is for the plate holder because that is what it was tested with. The requirement for a front plate is state dependant.

Right now, I have neither plate or plate holder, which is more common than not on refresh cars I see here. But I can always put the decal on, although it might make my car look fat, or ugly.😁

Conundrum. Thinking of canceling. The DS says the LP holders are now factory installed and there's no way for them to honor my request that they don't install it. The PPF guy said it would not be a good idea to remove it with the paint so fresh and that it might pull apart the clear and the base. I can't even drive it until put painters tape over everything. I suppose I could drive it home and leave it for month and then remove the holder but If there's already damaged paint under the holder I wouldn't know it until after I take delivery.

And yes, I intend to drive without the front plate as I always have except my 2009 Prius.

Anyone have any advice on how to remove it without damaging the paint?
I had luck without needing to use chemicals -- I used a lot of quite warm water, a fishing line, a plastic spodge tool and a lot of patience. (It took a bit over 30 minutes). I think it turned out looking great - no signs of where the adhesive was.

Reactions: aerodyne