Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That pretty much matches my quotes exactly. XPEL PPF and ceramic tint. My installer said that XPEL doesn't have the patterns available yet for 2024 Model S (which I confirmed on XPEL's website) -- I told them I don't think anything has changed compared to 2023.
Yeah the guy who quoted me mentioned XPEL but didn’t say anything about pattern changes for the 24 so probably just using the same from 23. Thanks for your response !

Need some advice and wisdom here. Tesla came back with my trade in for my 2021 M3P with FSD, $17,000. There’s some damage on the rear right quarter panel from a hit and run in a parking lot. Carvana offered me $29,000, and they know about the damage. So that’s a difference of $12k, which is the cost of the FSD. Is Tesla just dropping the value by $12k because I am doing the free FSD transfer to my new model S? If so, this doesn’t seem like a free FSD transfer. It’s a, “we’re deducting the cost of FSD from your trade in” kind of deal, so I’m not actually saving $12k at all by transferring FSD to the new vehicle. Anyone have experience with this? What would you do here?
I traded in my 2018 Model S to Tesla earlier this week when picking up my 2024 Model S. They gave me a trade-in estimate of 26k which specifically said FSD would stay with the vehicle but FUSC would be transferring to the new one. When I raised this to my SA, the quote was updated to reflect that both FSD and FUSC was transferring but the estimate remained 26k. I'd suggest selling it to CarMax. When you accept the new car, they will instantly transfer over FSD so I assume you could sell to CarMax later that day. Not sure if the 29k included FSD, though.

Dumb question. Is the space under the 17" touchscreen that holds two phones supposed to charge via a wireless pad underneath? It doesn't appear to do that but I don't know if that's to be expected. I'm afraid to try to open things up to dig around, and don't currently have the car for a few days while it gets some wraps/tint/coat work but any confirmation and, if this is broken, suggestions for self remedy would be appreciated. TIA!

Yes. Also check that all your USB ports are working.

I just got my car back from tint/wrap/ceramic work this morning so I was able to circle back on this. How the heck do I get under the wireless charging space under the touch screen? I felt around in the deep end of the front of the center console but didn't feel anything that seemed like a USB plug (not like on the Model 3). Anyone have any recommendations where to look to get this to work? Should I just schedule a mobile service visit to address?

I just got my car back from tint/wrap/ceramic work this morning so I was able to circle back on this. How the heck do I get under the wireless charging space under the touch screen? I felt around in the deep end of the front of the center console but didn't feel anything that seemed like a USB plug (not like on the Model 3). Anyone have any recommendations where to look to get this to work? Should I just schedule a mobile service visit to address?
Since I don't have a car yet, I've been spending a lot of time reading the owner's manual. I found this:
1709870706390.png

Since I don't have a car yet, I've been spending a lot of time reading the owner's manual. I found this:
View attachment 1025720
Thanks for reminding me about the owner's manual. I checked https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-A1DF67DE-94B4-4859-98B4-B0A5D342FAB3.html which describes the USB ports and wireless charging. I have a feeling that the two USB ports in the front of the center console is not related to the wireless phone charging. Unfortunately, the wireless phone charging section lower on the page doesn't seem to give any clues as to from where it pulls power.

Thanks for reminding me about the owner's manual. I checked https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-A1DF67DE-94B4-4859-98B4-B0A5D342FAB3.html which describes the USB ports and wireless charging. I have a feeling that the two USB ports in the front of the center console is not related to the wireless phone charging. Unfortunately, the wireless phone charging section lower on the page doesn't seem to give any clues as to from where it pulls power.
It’s hardwired. You can actually easily remove it by giving it a tug, it’s 4 clips. Pull from the bottom corners and lift up.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
Makes it hard for me to justify getting the S then, was sold on it because of the free transfer. Logic was to then keep the model S until it doesn’t work anymore since it would make an excellent family car, and pretty great for roadtrips for the wife and I.
You can transfer the FSD without trade in. You just have to be the owner the day you take delivery. May require some money balancing, but still can make the sell to Carvana. This is how I am handling mine.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
So I noticed Tesla updated the drive unit oil in tool box to "KAF1"

View attachment 1023578

Looking through the Plaid EPA docs (LR still not uploaded), I noticed they list both "EDF2" (which I believe was the old fluid) and "KAF I"

View attachment 1023579

2023 docs show only EDF2. The main difference with the new fluid appears to be that it is not quite as thick at extreme temperatures. It appears they've already been using KAF I in the 4DU drive units in the model 3 / y. I wonder if that's part of the 2024 efficiency changes. And if that actually has a tangible benefit to range, I wonder if that's something worth doing for the rest of us.

2021 and 2022 docs show Mobil1 Dexron VI as the fluid, which is thicker still at extreme temps (11500 cP @ -40), still roughly same at 100C. Trying to look up the 40C numbers to calculate the viscosity curves. Mobil1 Dexron VI is 29.5cP @ 40C. Can't find the numbers for EDF2 or KAF I just yet.

I noticed this change too. They changed the older S series front drive units from 212-B to KAF1 on the 1035000-00-J and later units and EDF2 & SK 422313 to KAF1 for 1478100-XX-X and later.

It’s hardwired. You can actually easily remove it by giving it a tug, it’s 4 clips. Pull from the bottom corners and lift up.
So the wireless phone charging actually works, but only if the naked phone is sitting on the pad. I have a fairly thin TPU case so I'm now wondering if there are any aftermarket products that can perhaps replace this to make it stronger because removing the case is not sustainable. I added an aftermarket wireless pad to the Model 3 in my household and it has no problem charging the phone with the TPU case on.