Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice that people that ordered months after me have been receiving their cars. The Tesla website also shows different configurations available, while so many are waiting for their orders.

This leads me to speculate that instead of fulfilling orders, Tesla is just randomly making different variations and shipping them to different areas of the country. It seems that when your particular configurations happens to get shipped to your area, then your order gets fulfilled. Any thoughts?
My guess is a combination of deprioritizing lower priced order agreements, general ineptitude of the logistics department and rarity of your configuration. I think the latter is the least impactful though for those of us that ordered before they even reopened the line for 2024. We clearly had orders in their system before then to indicate demand and also be at the top of the list for when those configs were produced.

I notice that people that ordered months after me have been receiving their cars. The Tesla website also shows different configurations available, while so many are waiting for their orders.

This leads me to speculate that instead of fulfilling orders, Tesla is just randomly making different variations and shipping them to different areas of the country. It seems that when your particular configurations happens to get shipped to your area, then your order gets fulfilled. Any thoughts?
Yes many of us waiting have noticed that. Whats your build?

My guess is a combination of deprioritizing lower priced order agreements, general ineptitude of the logistics department and rarity of your configuration. I think the latter is the least impactful though for those of us that ordered before they even reopened the line for 2024. We clearly had orders in their system before then to indicate demand and also be at the top of the list for when those configs were produced.
For the same configuration, higher price orders are prioritized afaiu.
So people who paid for color options will get their VINs first.

Source: I got assigned VIN twice and didn't want one, got it unassigned twice because i couldn't take delivery.

Would you and @sorka reject delivery for that reason?
How serious it is ? Thinking of possibilities when i schedule mine. :)
I probably wouldn’t. Mine isn’t as noticeable as Sorka’s because it’s stealth grey. That said, neither of us noticed it at inspection. Unless you KNOW, you will miss it at casual glance (or even at close inspection!)

Having owned Teslas since 2012, I think you have to take a big picture view when inspecting. If you reject it, you might get something worse in other respects. I’ve had it go both ways. I once accepted a “perfect” MS, only for it to have other annoying and recurring issues that weren’t immediately noticeable or visible. My wife once accepted a botched MX (misaligned panels and panel gaps galore), which I would have rejected instantly. She didn’t care about the aesthetics. Fast forward almost 8 years, it’s the most reliable car we’ve ever owned and she loves it and refuses to let go of it.

With my new MSLR, aside from a couple panel mishaps, mine was undamaged, perfect paint, perfect interior. (Don’t underestimate the interior — that’s where you drive and experience the car.) Take a global, overall approach. Sometimes if you take a micro approach, you will see all sorts of things wrong with it, especially aesthetically. Step back and look at the car as a whole. If it still offends you, reject it. If not, enjoy!

Aaaaand from October 2023…

“Given the discovery, he believes that Tesla is already implementing or will soon start implementing the feature on its assembly lines.”

They deleted that part when it didn’t happen. I saw the original post. I believe it was in one of their replies.
Just responding to this, I’ve never stated that it would be March 1st, so don’t appreciate this being said. I also very rarely delete posts and notably not one that said such! In all public posts, I’ve been very clear to always state “Starting in March”. In a subsequent I was asked if it was starting tomorrow on January 29th, to which I replied “Correct”.

No exact date was ever provided to me and as such, been very careful to not say such.

Much of the posts I’ve seen in the other thread and throughout X stating “March 1st” have been from other accounts.

Reactions: ck1891 and cwanja
Just responding to this, I’ve never stated that it would be March 1st, so don’t appreciate this being said. I also very rarely delete posts and notably not one that said such! In all public posts, I’ve been very clear to always state “Starting in March”. In a subsequent I was asked if it was starting tomorrow on January 29th, to which I replied “Correct”.

No exact date was ever provided to me and as such, been very careful to not say such.

Much of the posts I’ve seen in the other thread and throughout X stating “March 1st” have been from other accounts.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. The deletion (revision) was indeed from another source, not teslascope. My apologies.

• Love
Reactions: tylercorsair

Teslascope did, however, respond, “Correct!” when responding to “Starting? Tomorrow?” on February 29. The day after February 29 is March 1, so…

Teslascope did, however, respond, “Correct!” when responding to “Starting? Tomorrow?” on February 29. The day after February 29 is March 1, so…
Totally understand thay confusion! This was what was implied. The intent was to say that the changes would be taking place in March. This similarly occurred with the initial transition to HW4 for the Model S and X. While reported early, the changes took place just two weeks later.