Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

For those of us that want ambient lighting but have taken delivery, have some technical/mechanical know-how, 200$ (less if you have the tools), access to a socket wrench with a 2in extension and a 10mm deep socket, a torx bit driver, and isn't afraid to pull really damn hard to get some of these clips out, you too can add a vastly superior ambient lighting system than what will eventually come to the S. (i still need to do the doors/footwell lighting)

A bunch of us have figured out all the intricacies and best ways to run wires/tap power over here. If you want to do it feel free to browse it here:
I will either get it in-built in tesla or inevitably delay it for a year or two, at that point tesla might as well offer a retrofit.
Useful info though, it seems pretty intrusive to install.

Bring some lacquer thinner and a microfiber towel and examine every edge carefully for touchup paint.
This works?

Or maybe acetone? Trying to find something slightly less toxic.

Ordered: 2/20 Delivered: Today (3/10) - 24 MSLR - Black on black, 21", wheel, horn on center of wheel - No front camera or ambient lighting. Tesla rep says none of them have seen the front camera/lighting yet and they have delivered many March builds already.

Door sticker says MFG 3/24, I have requested the exact build date but no response yet. I've been lurking a while so I checked for many things I've seen in other posts. Rear hatch/tail light alignment is perfect, couldn't find any paint defects or misaligned panels. I will go over everything in more detail but can't find anything wrong with it yet.

Had a good exchange via Messaging in the App with The Mothership today...

They continue to offer me a decent amount for my trade, although it has continued to decrease in value since my order in December, in spite of the market rebounding a bit and not putting a whole lot of miles on the Y in the build-up to delivery. In the better news department, when I asked about all the different incentives that are going to run out on 31 March, I was assured that I would continue to have my Order Agreement price (pre-color charges), my FSD transfer, and the 10k mile SC (5k for taking a delivery and 5k for trade-in) honored if Tesla cannot deliver the vehicle in-time through no fault of my own. Given the verbiage in the SC offer, that was good to hear. I was pretty confident in the others as well, but always nice to have some positive reinforcement.

Now to just continue to wait for the Cream to flow...

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and nyucla
They just sent the build date from my post above: 3/5/24 at 9:00:53 pm
That is a fast build to delivery. Under 5 days.
Bummer still no camera or ambient lighting. I guess I'll go ahead and accept delivery of my 2/20 build car, assuming it is perfect.

Also, I'm planning on watching the Taycan GT reveal at 8am tomorrow.....

I guess this guy was misled when he spoke to the Tesla SA on the phone.

These rumors genuinely misled me. lol

IMG_2190.jpeg

Reactions: aerodyne
I’ve been considering an S because of the FSD transfer from my LR 3 (which is flawless and I still love btw), but the camera rumor gives me pause. Don’t want to buy the car before a major change.

That being said, what’s the origin of the idea that Tesla might include the camera ever at any point? I mean even before the Teslascope “scoop”. It would be additional redundancy but I don’t think Tesla necessarily has to add it in.

The CT is large truck and having a front bumper cam makes a lot more sense for that vehicle in order to avoid say, a small kid that suddenly ran out in front of the vehicle, whereas you would see that kid in an S or X. And stationary objects should be picked up by the existing cameras before they drop out of view in the car’s Vision blind spot.

Guess I’m just kind of skeptical that this is in the Tesla roadmap at all for the S.

The origin I guess is that it was clearly at least considered at some point. There’s an unused camera port on s/x, initial renders for highland did show a front camera before Tesla quickly photoshopped them out.

What’s not clear to me is if the idea was scrapped altogether or if it was delayed for whatever reason

Reactions: dsm363
The origin I guess is that it was clearly at least considered at some point. There’s an unused camera port on s/x, initial renders for highland did show a front camera before Tesla quickly photoshopped them out.

What’s not clear to me is if the idea was scrapped altogether or if it was delayed for whatever reason
I hope this means a paid retrofit isn't impossible then.

As with most retrofits, Tesla probably won’t offer it as it wouldn’t be worth their time.
I think that is probably likely but they are also facing more competition now. If they can squeeze and extra $2,000 out of someone post sale without too much effort, they might do it.

They did offer the USS upgrade to 2012-2014 (or so) Model Ss as well but they asked around $7,000 for it when it was a $700 option from the factory at the time.

Reactions: AMPd

Pretty hilarious that a front bumper camera is one of the most discussed, hyped, and anticipated Tesla “upgrades” of all time lmao. Having been “imminent” according to “reliable sources” since last October, Tesla might do it just to get people off their back! 😂