Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the car and loving it. Only issues is when the car first starts, for a minute or so I can feel vibrations in the accel pedal, and some B pillar wind noise that is pretty obvious at 80+km/h, though obviously less than in Model 3s. Are these issues enough to take to service?

+ is it weird that the highland feels softer and quieter overall to me
This describes my MXP almost exactly. The “warm up” vibration and the 80+ mph b-pillar or upper bright work wind noise. Nothing obviously wrong with the seals. I guess the S has similar issues. You can ask a passenger to tell you if a similar wind noise comes from the other side - hard to determine from the driver seat. Haven’t gotten around to test this myself after 1500 miles.

I’m also a cream interior from 12/27
Cream interior, ordered Dec 1. I have a VIN but no specific delivery date yet. Rumor (from a Tesla SA yesterday) is that the car is in transit and is near Dallas (about 200 miles away). It is expected to arrive here by the end of the week. Hopefully delivery Monday 3/25 or sooner. Built date was claimed to be 3/8/24 after I asked them.

MSP vs MSLR…
1710731453651.png

So, this past Saturday, I finally got my hands on my little MSLR with only 24 miles on it, ordered back on January 27th. I wanted to share my dreadful experience.

Upon receiving it, as usual, I had to adjust and align all the panels - I was prepared for that. Then, I noticed the front headlights were chipped from rocks, and the fog lights had the same damages - they promised to replace them all with new ones, and I agreed to that replacement.

When I got home and inspected it closely, I found out that the front left fender had been repainted. And after several hours of inspection, I turned off almost all the lighting in the garage and discovered that the hood had also been repainted. As you can see in the photos, there are streaks, indicating a second layer of paint, and the pearl itself is improperly applied.

In the end, it seemed like I ordered a new car, but it had already been repainted.
20240317_235427.jpg

Attachments

• 20240317_235518.jpg
    20240317_235518.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 6
Sorry to hear that! It's hard to tell in the photos, but how did you find that?
It was extremely difficult to find for an average person. I've been involved in car repairs, painting cars for 15 years, and now I specialize in complex structural straightening. White pearl is one of my favorite colors for painting. What you see in the photos are small yellowed streaks alternating along the edge of the fender and hood. This effect occurs when the painter holds the paint gun too close to the surface of the part. Tesla's robots don't paint like this. The first thing I noticed was overspray on the left headlight under the hood. From what I can tell, the fender was repainted directly on the car's body without being removed! Additionally, I found an increase in the thickness of the paint coating on the parts. The quality of the paint job is satisfactory to me, BUT these streaks are defects.
20240317_021742.jpg

It was extremely difficult to find for an average person. I've been involved in car repairs, painting cars for 15 years, and now I specialize in complex structural straightening. White pearl is one of my favorite colors for painting. What you see in the photos are small yellowed streaks alternating along the edge of the fender and hood. This effect occurs when the painter holds the paint gun too close to the surface of the part. Tesla's robots don't paint like this. The first thing I noticed was overspray on the left headlight under the hood. From what I can tell, the fender was repainted directly on the car's body without being removed! Additionally, I found an increase in the thickness of the paint coating on the parts. The quality of the paint job is satisfactory to me, BUT these streaks are defects.View attachment 1029168
Sorry to hear that. What’s your recourse?

Order MSP White on White with 19s - November 2023
Delivery date Saturday March 16th

Minor adjustment needed on passenger side for the rear hatch but other than that no other issues. No other model S or plaids have been delivered yet this year.

Toronto Tesla has always been very good to me being this is my 3rd car from them.

2nd Plaid in Toronto for 2024? Or maybe first Stealth Gray Plaid in Ontario, mine is expected in 3 days., hopefully delivery goes smoothly.

IMG_5468.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: empiredown
Unsurprisingly, window got moved again today but they kept it in the quarter. If I don't have a VIN by the weekend I'll be cancelling and moving on though. Honestly cannot imagine a worst customer service experience. The lack of transparency and lack of responses with anything resembling substance is comical. I'd just prefer they replace it with ChatGPT at this point at least save the company some money.

Hope everyone's deliveries this week go well though!

Order date 12/04
MSLR/White/White/Wheel/19''

Original EDD Dec 2023-Jan 2024
12/15/23 - Jan 3-Feb 14
01/04/24 - Feb 3-Mar 16
02/05/24 - Feb 16-Mar 22
02/16/24 - Feb 25-Mar 31
02/26/24 - Feb 29-Mar 21
02/29/24 - Mar 17-Mar 31
03/18/24 - Mar 28-Mar 31

Unsurprisingly, window got moved again today but they kept it in the quarter. If I don't have a VIN by the weekend I'll be cancelling and moving on though. Honestly cannot imagine a worst customer service experience. The lack of transparency and lack of responses with anything resembling substance is comical. I'd just prefer they replace it with ChatGPT at this point at least save the company some money.

Order date 12/04

12/15/23 - Jan 3-Feb 14
01/04/24 - Feb 3-Mar 16
02/05/24 - Feb 16-Mar 22
02/16/24 - Feb 25-Mar 31
02/26/24 - Feb 29-Mar 21
02/29/24 - Mar 17-Mar 31
03/18/24 - Mar 28-Mar 31
I don't blame you, it's truly unacceptable. Hearing all these stories is also making me want to take my business elsewhere.

I don't blame you, it's truly unacceptable. Hearing all these stories is also making me want to take my business elsewhere.
If people weren't so excited about getting a Tesla their lots would be full of unsold cars and you could walk in and buy today. As it is, there's more demand than they can keep up with. Hang in there for the car you want. I waited six months (some waited a year at that time) for my 2022 MSLR and not once did I entertain getting any other car. It was worth the wait ... best car I've ever owned.

Order date 12/04

12/15/23 - Jan 3-Feb 14
01/04/24 - Feb 3-Mar 16
02/05/24 - Feb 16-Mar 22
02/16/24 - Feb 25-Mar 31
02/26/24 - Feb 29-Mar 21
02/29/24 - Mar 17-Mar 31
03/18/24 - Mar 28-Mar 31

If you don't like the ordering experience, just until you get to the *sugar* show that is the delivery experience! 😅

But, seriously, the ordering part is I think reasonable. As your window narrows, it gets more accurate. I'd say it's very likely you get a car by the end of the month.

Order date 12/04

12/15/23 - Jan 3-Feb 14
01/04/24 - Feb 3-Mar 16
02/05/24 - Feb 16-Mar 22
02/16/24 - Feb 25-Mar 31
02/26/24 - Feb 29-Mar 21
02/29/24 - Mar 17-Mar 31
03/18/24 - Mar 28-Mar 31
I'm genuinely very curious to know what your alternative options are if you cancel your order. I've pretty much snookered myself into only being able to drive a model S because nothing I've driven within the price range (granted, not much) has come anywhere close to the driving experience. Yes, the company itself is a complete sht show but the product is unparalleled from my perspective. I'm not a Tesla fanboy. Just a grumbly old engineer with unrealistic expectations :D.

If you don't like the ordering experience, just until you get to the *sugar* show that is the delivery experience! 😅

But, seriously, the ordering part is I think reasonable. As your window narrows, it gets more accurate. I'd say it's very likely you get a car by the end of the month.
Unfortunately, I disagree that the window narrows and that means anything. Mine has narrowed repeatedly only to them slip forward. I am in my window again today without a VIN for the 14th time. It will change tomorrow morning as usual. Today also marks three months since I ordered. Something is broken here.

It was extremely difficult to find for an average person. I've been involved in car repairs, painting cars for 15 years, and now I specialize in complex structural straightening. White pearl is one of my favorite colors for painting. What you see in the photos are small yellowed streaks alternating along the edge of the fender and hood. This effect occurs when the painter holds the paint gun too close to the surface of the part. Tesla's robots don't paint like this. The first thing I noticed was overspray on the left headlight under the hood. From what I can tell, the fender was repainted directly on the car's body without being removed! Additionally, I found an increase in the thickness of the paint coating on the parts. The quality of the paint job is satisfactory to me, BUT these streaks are defects.View attachment 1029168

The warranty covers defects in paint. Not damage, but factory defects are totally covered. They can't claim it was repainted even if it was. If they admitted that it was repainted after it left the factory, then they'd be admitting it was damaged after it left the factory. If it's a crappy factory job, then it's a factory defect. If they don't address this, then just take them to small claims for $10K and apply that $10K to a full repaint.

Unfortunately, I disagree that the window narrows and that means anything. Mine has narrowed repeatedly only to them slip forward. I am in my window again today without a VIN for the 14th time. It will change tomorrow morning as usual. Today also marks three months since I ordered. Something is broken here.
You're fortunately/unfortunately ordering at a time where Tesla are making some fairly significant framework changes to their product(s). Considering the almost "DevOps" model they follow when iterating their product design, sometimes it seems like they don't even know when the product will be available. If you've ever been involved in product/application development following that model, you'll know what kind of a frenzy it can create if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Reactions: TBrownTX
If people weren't so excited about getting a Tesla their lots would be full of unsold cars and you could walk in and buy today. As it is, there's more demand than they can keep up with. Hang in there for the car you want. I waited six months (some waited a year at that time) for my 2022 MSLR and not once did I entertain getting any other car. It was worth the wait ... best car I've ever owned.

Their demand is not high which is why the dropped the price $40K to $50K on the S/X. Most of their volume is made from orders, not inventory that they ship to dealers.