Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S now has glass roof option..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When they up the price of something after an order is confirmed, do they force you to pay the higher price? Hope not, but I feel like I read about that happening for people with a different option that had a price increase (was it air suspension, maybe).

No. My original configuration and price is still current. As a matter of fact, it appears that if I wanted to go to the new solid glass roof I'd have to call in to make the change since when I hit "EDIT DESIGN" it takes me to the page with yesterday's options (i.e., no solid glass option and pano still $1500).

I think its cool but Id rather stick with the Pano! I always keep it in the vent position! But my wife surely does love her pano she has it open all the time except when it raining because that would be bad!:D Still cant wait to see if headroom is much better!

Exciting stuff, now we still need the space ship interior to show up. I'm guessing that after Tesla does M3 part 2 unveil, they will make it available on the MS/X 1st. I wonder if Tesla will switch over to the new steering system on all new cars, or add an option but keep the existing steering wheel also. If it's just an option, then would the co-existence of 2 different steering system have any impact on how the new AP2 SW functions?

Other changes -

Now presents "cash price" and not the calculated savings price. You can expand for calc savings.

The car I priced yesterday is now $103.5k and was $104.5k, both the pano. I don't *think* I'm imagining this, but not sure.

I TOTALLY CALLED THIS!!!

The glass roof image file was found in the .apk file for the Android app a year ago!
Yes I remember that. Good call. I am not surprised at all to see the S now having a "glass roof" option. It is a precursor to what the Model 3 will also offer (some feel that will be the standard Model 3 roof, others think it will be an option).

It is a bit of a surprise to me that the Model S Sunroof is only $500 more than the Glass Roof (I am looking at the US website, not sure about other countries). Seems to me that many people would get the Sunroof considering the relatively small price difference, but if I was ordering an S today I would get the Glass Roof, assuming it was tinted dark enough (of course additional tint can be added later). I don't like Sunroofs.

Will the new roof improve rear seat headroom?
Good question. I think it would.

The new glass roof not allowing for a rack leads me to think the 3's all glass roof will also not allow for one. I'm hoping it will though. Sadly people using racks with our cars are certainly a tiny minority.

It's new for sure, and I also believe the price is up $500 on the pano...er, sunroof.
I suppose the all-glass roof will have the most headroom?
I would think so, because it doesnt have the bar across.
But no one's head is near the crossbar, even with the front seats all the way back. I'd expect headroom to be the same or very similar. View from the back will much improved, though.

You do kind of wonder about structural integrity and the impact on safety. That crossbar was a major structural component for the roof crush test, and the high-strength steel in the B pillars and the crossbar all meet together to help improve rigidity in side impacts. This member is present in both the pano roof and standard roof vehicles currently rolling off the line.
Tesla_body_shell.jpg

I can maybe see a from-scratch design like the Model 3 being OK, but you have to wonder how well it performs when retrofit into the S.

Reactions: DIL
You do kind of wonder about structural integrity and the impact on safety. That crossbar was a major structural component for the roof crush test, and the high-strength steel in the B pillars and the crossbar all meet together to help improve rigidity in side impacts. This member is present in both the pano roof and standard roof vehicles currently rolling off the line.
One does wonder, but based on Elon's new tweet, I can only guess that the body side member running above the side windows must be much stronger than it used to be.

I love the way the new Glass Roof looks.

That crossbar was a major structural component for the roof crush test, and the high-strength steel in the B pillars and the crossbar all meet together to help improve rigidity in side impacts. This member is present in both the pano roof and standard roof vehicles currently rolling off the line.

Years ago I was told that crossbar was essentially an attachment point for the pano roof bits, and had almost no structural value. If you pull off the cover over the cross bar, to expose it (which I have done trying to find the dozens of squeaks creaks and clicks in my roof) it looks like a non-structural piece of sheet metal.

But no one's head is near the crossbar, even with the front seats all the way back. I'd expect headroom to be the same or very similar. View from the back will much improved, though.
You are correct that nobody sits near the crossbar, but looking at the images you may gain some headroom on the sides. I did notice that for the front seat for very tall people the edges are somewhat close to the head, so it may be slightly better there. (this is related to the lack of ability to put a roof rack on as the sides are narrower than the pano so don't have room for the attachment points)

I still think I prefer the Pano, but this isn't entirely a bad option.

I was really surprised to see Elon actually confirm they would offer solar as an option on the roof of cars at some point. I thought it had been proven that it would be to inefficient. I'll be curious to see how they pull that off beautifully and with added functionality.
RrRcZ3N

Reactions: DIL