Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do it

I'm 37 but just got PE licensed 1 year ago and didn't finish going 'back to School' until 2006.
Perf price is going up right?

I look at the car and it is the best car in the world IMO and 100K is a bargain. I could live in it , charge it for free and drive almost anywhere for free - especially once S chargers are through the US/world. Just need to plant more beans and veggies for the feeding of myself! Reminds me I should go mushroom hunting - hedgehogs were abundant 1 week ago, Chanterreles are getting waterlogged though : (

Last edited:
P1795 was reported yesterday in Norway as well (in addit addition to P1791). Also, at Tesla representative mentioned that there are about 900 norwegian reservation holders at the moment. Will probably be around 1000 by the end of December. It`s going to be interresting to see what`ll happen with norwegian reservation numbers when the car is actually available....

Honestly, by the time you're spending ~90k already, why the hell not. You're only young once and as long as you're not being horribly irresponsible with your finances -- please, don't be like the Apple kid in China and give a kidney -- it's at least a "look at the ridiculous thing I spent money on" story for later.

The question I wonder about is when Elon said they planned to achieve a production rate of 400 cars/week in December, is that based on a single work shift or multiple work shifts?

I believe the original intent was for one shift, but they haven't been able to accomplish that yet. Setting up an automobile production line from scratch is very hard work--especially when everyone is new to it and they don't have existing factories where they can just clone what's worked in the past.

Same here. Although from my calculations switching to a perf for me basically puts the car over $100k in cost...lol.

Performance Base Price
Black Paint (included)
Panoramic Roof
19" wheel downgrade (included)
Tan leather Interior (included)
Obeche Wood (included)
Tech Package
Sound Studio
Active Air Suspension (included)
Parcel Shelf
8 yr 100,000 mile Prepaid maintenance
4 yr 50,000 mile Extended Warranty
Tesla Personal Delivery
Tesla Final inspection/prep
NJ sales tax on EV's
NJ registration/doc fees
$92,400.00
$-
$1,500.00
$-
$-
$-
$3,750.00
$950.00
$-
$250.00
$4,800.00
$2,500.00
$990.00
$180.00
$-
$400.00
$107,720.00

Is this my mid-life crisis buy? I'm only 32 though... lol perhaps this is my "sexual signaling" -> http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2009/10/14/study-testosterone-cars.html maybe I should just wait and get a bicycle in a few years instead http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Middle-aged-men-buying-BIKES-sportscars.html

Can you explain the $4,800 and $2,500 for maintenance?
The only option that I can see is $2,400 for pre-paid including free ranger service.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here. Although from my calculations switching to a perf for me basically puts the car over $100k in cost...lol.

Performance Base Price
Black Paint (included)
Panoramic Roof
19" wheel downgrade (included)
Tan leather Interior (included)
Obeche Wood (included)
Tech Package
Sound Studio
Active Air Suspension (included)
Parcel Shelf
8 yr 100,000 mile Prepaid maintenance
4 yr 50,000 mile Extended Warranty
Tesla Personal Delivery
Tesla Final inspection/prep
NJ sales tax on EV's
NJ registration/doc fees
$92,400.00
$-
$1,500.00
$-
$-
$-
$3,750.00
$950.00
$-
$250.00
$4,800.00
$2,500.00
$990.00
$180.00
$-
$400.00
$107,720.00

Is this my mid-life crisis buy? I'm only 32 though... lol perhaps this is my "sexual signaling" -> http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2009/10/14/study-testosterone-cars.html maybe I should just wait and get a bicycle in a few years instead http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Middle-aged-men-buying-BIKES-sportscars.html

The only option that I can see is $2,400 for pre-paid including free ranger service.

Sure, the details are here: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/2013-model-s-price-increase

Regarding the $2500:
"Model S comes standard with a Four Year, 50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty. An additional Four Year, 50,000 mile Extended Warranty will now be available for $2,500."

Regarding the $4800:
"Several months ago we announced a Four Year, up to 50,000 Mile Prepaid Maintenance program for $1,900, or $2,400 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits. You will now be able to purchase an additional Four Years and 50,000 miles of Prepaid Maintenance for an additional $1,900, or $2,400 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits. With this additional program you can now cover everything on your Model S, except tires, for eight years and up to 100,000 miles for $3,800, or $4,800 with unlimited Tesla Ranger visits."

Also, there is an optional battery replacement program which I am not electing to purchase. Personally I think this is ridiculous to prepay for when the cost of these batteries is set to drop significantly year over year. But anyway, if you wanted:
"We are happy to now offer this option for all three battery variants. This option will provide you a new battery anytime after the end of the eighth year at a fixed price. Prices are as follows: $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh battery, and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery."

"We are happy to now offer this option for all three battery variants. This option will provide you a new battery anytime after the end of the eighth year at a fixed price. Prices are as follows: $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh battery, and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery."

Does anyone know if this is the cost of the option or the cost of the replacement battery? The wording could be taken either way depending upon whether the "Prices are as follows" sentence modifies "at a fixed price" or "This option".

Know? No. But I think it's fairly unambiguous: you pay your $12k today, and in 8 years Tesla provides you a new battery. It's an "option" in the sense that you don't have to buy.

(In the language of financial options, the option premium is $12k, and the strike price is zero in year 8. It's not that the strike price is $12k.)

That interpretation is consistent with the Roadster battery replacement option. BTW, Tesla has hinted that they will use a similar "sliding scale" if you choose to replace your battery before or after year 8.

Of course, pre-paying for anything with a company that does not yet have a long track record of financial success means you take bankruptcy risk from when you pay the $12k until you get the replacement battery. I am a bit torn, since obviously the replacement battery price is very attractive based on today's costs, but my crystal ball is super crappy at making predictions about company viability and battery replacement costs 8 years from now. Might be better to just put the $12k away in an account somewhere earning a little interest (or use it to buy Tesla stock) for 8 years and then apply it to replacing the battery if needed. Tough call, honestly.

Of course, pre-paying for anything with a company that does not yet have a long track record of financial success means you take bankruptcy risk from when you pay the $12k until you get the replacement battery. I am a bit torn, since obviously the replacement battery price is very attractive based on today's costs, but my crystal ball is super crappy at making predictions about company viability and battery replacement costs 8 years from now. Might be better to just put the $12k away in an account somewhere earning a little interest (or use it to buy Tesla stock) for 8 years and then apply it to replacing the battery if needed. Tough call, honestly.
I believe your right having read projected 7% decline in battery costs per year over 8 years and the cost of tying money up for 8 years makes it uncertain decision. I have invested heavily in company and reserved car but don't know whether there will be newer model that I might want to change too. I admit I am planning on keeping car for a long time but also have never kept a car for more than 3 years. I would be hesitant to commit for that long and doubt even if option transferable that you increase value of trade in as much as you paid.

@Lloyd - I think he meant that he "sold" a family member on getting a reservation.

Regarding the ebay...
The pattern seems to be:
1. make a reservation
2. when the number comes up, create an ebay post offering to sell the final vehicle
[presumably...]
3. when the auction is "won", the (Ebay) buyer tells the (EBay) seller what configuration he or she wants
4. (Ebay) seller takes delivery and immediately transfers the title to (Ebay) buyer