Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more I read this thread the more nervous I am about the safety of the car and even more nervous about letting anyone drive it lest one of these core issues (such as the car shutting off) pop up mid-drive and someone already unsure on EVs panics a little bit :(. I know we're hearing only from people that have had issues, but we're also only small sampling of the overall ownership so this stuff must be happening to non-TMC members as well.

Then, the answer is simple: the car isn't for you. Your short position is helped.

I, having experienced recalls and glitches with every single car I've owned, new or used, am very happy. I get the occasional weird action - like cruise control mysteriously disabling - I report it, they analyze it, and the next release contains the fixes to deal with it. No need to watch for recall notices, then find a day to haul it to the dealer, where an enterprising mechanic decides that leaving a cap loose means I'll be back in two weeks with another problem for them to fix.

Then, the answer is simple: the car isn't for you. Your short position is helped.
Yes...my master plan of being on TMC for 2+ years and repeatedly noting my long position in the investor forum has paid off! It's time to reap the benefits of my true short position!

Knowing about the issues, I think I'm good to survive something odd. I'm not happy with things like the car shutting off while in motion (either by bug or design) as that seems exceedingly dangerous, but being aware of it helps until that's resolved.

I'm more concerned about having someone test drive it and panicking in that situation since they're already in a nervous state because "it's a weird computerized EV".

Most new cars now come with a gas-brake shutoff after all of the folks that were unable to drive their vehicles caused massive recalls. I don't think that this is any different than your average 2012 Toyota.
I remember the press on the "runaway car" thing, but don't know much beyond that. It sounds like accidentally touching both brake and accelerator has happened to at least a few people on the forum (judging from posts the last couple pages) so perhaps the difference from something like the 2012 Toyota is sensitivity?

Yes...my master plan of being on TMC for 2+ years and repeatedly noting my long position in the investor forum has paid off! It's time to reap the benefits of my true short position!

Knowing about the issues, I think I'm good to survive something odd. I'm not happy with things like the car shutting off while in motion (either by bug or design) as that seems exceedingly dangerous, but being aware of it helps until that's resolved.

I'm more concerned about having someone test drive it and panicking in that situation since they're already in a nervous state because "it's a weird computerized EV".

Then consider yourself lucky that it hasn't happened to you in an ICE, I guess.

My brother's 1977 Caprice Classic police car spun a timing chain while driving home one day and stranded me with loss of power assist on steering and brakes.
My 1985 Oldsmobile spun a timing chain one day, and stranded me with loss of power assist on steering and brakes.
That same car blew its ECU fuse and fell back into a low-gear-only mode.
My 1996 Oldsmobile's ECU crashed hard while driving on 680 in East San Jose about a month after I purchased it, and it stalled, dead, in the middle of the road, with loss of power assist on steering and brakes.
My 1988 Ford truck lost a fuel pump in the middle of the highway, stranding me, with loss of power assist on steering and brakes.
One of the Goodyear tires on my 2004 Chevy suddenly and violently blew in the middle of a public highway, sending the truck off to the side of the road, with near loss of control.

None of these made me "nervous", it's just a fact of life that bugs, defects, etc., exist. And I didn't give up on cars after these things happened. Don't be nervous. Don't worry, be happy.

And if someone experiences this during a test drive and is turned off, focus them on the bigger picture and read them this post. S*&t happens. The Model S is a game-changer, a platform unexceeded. I'm not nervous at all and I haven't seen anything that makes me nervous, yet. Perhaps it's my experience as a mechanic, I don't know.

Last edited:
I also had the case happen where I bumped the cruise lever by accident and the car momentarily shut off and I think it popped up the cruise control disabled message.
Very unnerving.

Obviously you should be in contact with Tesla service (directly) about shutting off. In so far as I have read, you seem to be the only one encountering this kind of situation, so it seems you may need to get that fixed.

Last edited:
None of these made me "nervous", it's just a fact of life that bugs, defects, etc., exist. And I didn't give up on cars after these things happened. Don't be nervous. Don't worry, be happy.

I agree with you, but the examples you gave were definite failures, not design elements. Fortunately, Tesla can respond to some of this stuff through software updates and improvements.

Personally, I would like to see an option where the user could switch the re-gen behavior between letting off the accelerator and touching the brake. Those who like "one pedal driving" could leave it in that position while those who prefer that re-gen start with the brake pedal could opt for that. Sure, it would affect range, but then it is the users choice. I'll bet it would be an easy thing to do in software.

I agree with you, but the examples you gave were definite failures, not design elements. Fortunately, Tesla can respond to some of this stuff through software updates and improvements.

When I had my early "foot on both pedal" problems (muscle memory fixes this in short order, btw), the car didn't completely "shut off", but rather refused to apply power to fight the brake. Seems like a potential failure there, not really a design element.

When I had my early "foot on both pedal" problems (muscle memory fixes this in short order, btw), the car didn't completely "shut off", but rather refused to apply power to fight the brake. Seems like a potential failure there, not really a design element.

I duuno. A lot of newer cars will electronically limit the throttle when both pedals are pressed to prevent runaways. If the car isn't shutting down and is just limiting the power when both pedals are pressed, that (IMHO) is probably a good thing.

I duuno. A lot of newer cars will electronically limit the throttle when both pedals are pressed to prevent runaways. If the car isn't shutting down and is just limiting the power when both pedals are pressed, that (IMHO) is probably a good thing.

That has been my experience, along with the angry message and three-chime warning.

I remember the press on the "runaway car" thing, but don't know much beyond that. It sounds like accidentally touching both brake and accelerator has happened to at least a few people on the forum (judging from posts the last couple pages) so perhaps the difference from something like the 2012 Toyota is sensitivity?

Reporting this as another data point: Hitting the brake and accelerator at the same time and getting the warning chime has happened twice to me. The first time I heard the chime was while stopping at an intersection, I didn't make the connection as to what the chime meant as the warning did not stay on the display. The second time it happened I both heard the chime and read the warning. Both of these "events" occurred within 48 hours of ownership, I have wide feet and apparently brushed the accelerator while applying the brakes. I now make a point of pivoting my foot more and have not had a recurrence. As another point of reference, I have had the same thing happen when I drove my Honda Accord on long trips with the cruse control set and I would brush the accelerator and brake at the same time when I applied the brake. For what ever reason my foot had become "lazy" and I didn't pivot it far enough to the brake only pedal. Maybe some of us have a "lazy" foot and don't pivot it like we should, I am not making an excuse for Tesla; however it is happening.

I had the same problem with the Bluetooth.

Reboot curiously did not fix it, but all I needed to do was to go to the settings screen (not the one you get when you hit the Bluetooth icon, but via the Controls menu) and connect the phone.

This has happened to me only once.

Mitch.
Is this the same issue that Cinergi (?) and others have noted, that pairing must be initiated from the car, not the phone?

Reporting this as another data point: Hitting the brake and accelerator at the same time and getting the warning chime has happened twice to me...

This happened to me several times too until I trained my "lazy" foot to pivot a little more. Nothing bad happened. The car just did what it should - warned me, but just continued with the braking action. I do think Tesla should consider separating the pedals slightly for those of us with big lazy feet.

So, only 1 person has experienced a full shutdown (possibly) related to stepping on both at the same time? If that's the case, it could be another issue as I recall that person said they only noticed the warning on a separate occasion.

Agreed. This is why I think he should escalate with Tesla. The warning makes sense. The car shutting down brake boost does not make sense.

I'm not sure how this gets past Tesla's water testing environment. Surely that's more vigorous than a car wash?

Nothing like it:
Instead of wasting gallons of water to perform the leak test, we will instead employ ultrasonic waves inside the car as a device on the exterior detects escaping waves. With this scientific fluid ingress test system, we will save precious natural resources.
Probably doesn't test the tail lights (or headlights) at all!

I didn't have a cruise control in my M3, which was my last manual transmission, but I think if you're in a highway-appropriate gear, it wouldn't slow down as radically as the Model S does. I could be wrong.
Yes, it's not as radical but the car will begin slowing down. Even in 6th gear in my Corvette w/ the big V8 when you lifted off the throttle would feel the decel. Bottom line is that with CC regardless of propulsion mode if you want to cancel CC while still driving you need to press on the accelerator.