Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Started to hear a rubbing sound through the steering wheel on slow speed turns of the wheel, such as parking lot maneuvers. Anyone else?

Well, Tesla took my car Monday morning to look at the rubbing sound coming from the steering column, and about 7 other things. I was under the impression that the car would be returned to me later in the day, but didn't hear anything from them at all. After sending an email to them that evening, I received a reply apologizing that they they were very busy, and that someone should have let me know that the car wouldn't be ready until Tuesday.

What they did do well:
* Replaced the Piano Black interior trim with CF (the factory screwed up my order)
* They also fixed the driver side map light that others have had problems with
* Replaced exterior driver door handle (door has popped open on it's own about 10x) - However, an hour into having the car, the door popped open on it's own after I closed it, had to re-open it because it didn't latch all the way, then closed it again
* Adjusted passenger door which required more force than the other doors to close
* Reflashed security module after 4.3 upgrade left me with handles that extended on their own, and parking lights that came on at random times

The jury is still out:
* Shortly after picking my car up at the factory, I noticed a flaw in the paint in 2 spots above the right side doors. It was a torrential rain storm when I picked up the car, so I didn't see them until I got home and had washed the car. The service center said they could send it to the body shop to touch-up. It almost looks like a flaw in the clear coat to me. I'm still undecided if I want to do this
* The buzz/rattle in the driver window while at freeway speeds. They diagnosed it as a problem with the seat belt mech, and ordered a replacement. I'm not convinced this is the source, but I'll take them up on their offer to replace it

What they failed to do:
* The steering noise. The tech said something to the effect of "we're supposed to do a test drive of every car, but we didn't really do an extensive one, and instead listened for noise and didn't hear anything." Well, 10 seconds after jumping into my car, I could hear the noise. I had driven down the street, then turned around and came back to show the tech, who was still packing up the trailer. I didn't even have to drive him around, the noise is pretty bad if you turn the wheel just at a standstill, especially as you get to limit of the turning limit. The tech seemed pretty surprised at how loud it was, said something might be torqued too much or too little, and said the car was probably OK to drive, but that they would look at it when it's in for the seat belt mech, hopefully next week.
* Still no rear spoiler after 3.5 months
* Still no cargo shelf after 3.5 months
* They didn't address the request for the P85 badge

Has anybody experienced the A/C just cutting out and the car blowing hot air?

I had the following sequence of events a little while ago. It's 84°F here in Sunnyvale:

1) Got in the car to run an errand. It's hot inside.
2) A/C starts blowing a little air, and I can hear the low rumble of the compressor coming online.
3) After a few seconds, fans ramp up and the car is blowing tons of cold air.
4) When I was just about to turn out of the parking lot and onto the street (i.e. less than a minute later), I paused to enter the navigation destination
5) Through the steering wheel, I could feel a high-frequency vibration, and I can faintly hear a corresponding noise
6) A/C fans turn off completely, and noise stops. Fans then restart and ramp back up a second or two later.
7) No more cold air
8) I turn climate control off

I drove to my errand with the windows down, enjoying the warm weather.

When I got back in the car after my errand, I turned the climate control back on, and steps 1-3 occur again, and the car proceeds to cool down normally with expected behavior of the fans slowly ramping down as the car got closer to normal temps.

I'm planning a nice trip this weekend with friends, so if this portends trouble I'd like to get it looked at ASAP.

Is the climate control system's compressor shared with the battery cooling? We could live with open windows, but I sure wouldn't want to be stuck out because the car couldn't condition the pack.

I have a question about the leather in the back seats. I keep forgetting to check if others have it when I have been in the service center.

I find that the leather in the back seats on side hip bolsters, near the door is not perfectly stretched tight (the non-perforated section). I would like to know if this is on all cars or just mine. I have attached two pictures of what I am talking about. Can you let me know if this is the same on yours or not? This has been like this from day 1 but I never paid much attention to it assuming it was normal but I just clicked that maybe it is not.

I also am finding that my drivers seat (part I sit on) is starting to get less tight as well. Not looking promising if it is less taught after three months only!
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

I agree--that's just about the worse quality I have EVER seen. You should not even bother selling it, just give it away. It's a total lemon

I have a question about the leather in the back seats. I keep forgetting to check if others have it when I have been in the service center.

I find that the leather in the back seats on side hip bolsters, near the door is not perfectly stretched tight (the non-perforated section). I would like to know if this is on all cars or just mine. I have attached two pictures of what I am talking about. Can you let me know if this is the same on yours or not? This has been like this from day 1 but I never paid much attention to it assuming it was normal but I just clicked that maybe it is not.

I also am finding that my drivers seat (part I sit on) is starting to get less tight as well. Not looking promising if it is less taught after three months only!
View attachment 19958View attachment 19959

Others seem to be giving you grief for some reason, but you've got my sympathy. That doesn't look particularly good.

My seats are much tighter stitched than that, though I've got the perf so that portion of my seats is alcantara.

znino - PLEASE call Tesla on it. The leather in other cars does look better.

The seats are supplied by a vendor who rents space on Tesla's factory floor. I'm surprised those types of wrinkles made it through various quality checks ... but they did. The cost associated with swapping this out will likely be something the vendor handles - and it will only go to improve future quality.

Let us know how it goes. I can't imagine Tesla won't want to know about this.

ok thanks. i will. I suppose the way to go with this is to email Tesla Ownership? I do not really think calling local service is the proper channel. what do you think?

znino - PLEASE call Tesla on it. The leather in other cars does look better.

The seats are supplied by a vendor who rents space on Tesla's factory floor. I'm surprised those types of wrinkles made it through various quality checks ... but they did. The cost associated with swapping this out will likely be something the vendor handles - and it will only go to improve future quality.

Let us know how it goes. I can't imagine Tesla won't want to know about this.

In the past 2 weeks, I have developed 3 new issues:

1. Pano roof only opens to 47% and sounds like its struggling.
2. Rubber window seals inside the car are falling off (pics to follow). They look buckled and loose.
3. Window leaks water at the rear passenger window.

Plan: Call Tesla. See if they want to ranger the rest of my to do list and address these new issues now that I have purchased the anywhere plan. I'm guessing they will want the car in the service center due to how much will need to be taken care of and looked at.