Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is perfectly valid and still stands.

"No way a ludicrous raven is going to be faster than the Taycan".

What about it do you not understand? Of course Tesla can engineer a track ringer with giant brakes, new motor, and redesigned chassis to be competitive. Good on them. Doesn't change the discussion about the current production car being woefully unprepared for the job (primarily due to undersized brakes that will fade to oblivion in the first few km).

No one expects a current production Raven to beat the Taycan...It was never designed to be a good track performer.

They have a Raven there, but are probably bench-marking the new Plaid Model S against it and possibly testing some improvements in the Raven.

The Plaid Model S is a prototype, but a prototype Tesla intends to have in production Oct/Nov 2020. That is designed to be a good track performer.

The Taycan was a prototype when it recorded it's unofficial time...

Both Porsche and Tesla need to repeat the tests with unmodified production cars...

But we can't have one rule for Porsche and another rule for Tesla, official times need rules, unofficial times can be done however the car maker chooses and it is up to them what they report.... the market and industry will eventually decide what is credible.

not really comparable if the Teslas was "highly modified". Too many mods from the current platform so this doesn't seem like a production car to me. Plaid powertrain, ceramic brakes, wider wheels with super sticky tires, suspension, aero, emptying out the interior and who knows what else. Certainly a commendable effort but hardly "stock".

Scheduled for production October/November 2020.

A production car car certainly have "Plaid powertrain, ceramic brakes, wider wheels" it will come with good tires, but not necessarily the same tires the prototype is currently running.

A lot of the (likely) excellent performance of the prototype is probably due to 3 motors (2 large rear) a (probably) larger battery and smart computer software controlling the motors...

The production car will have all of that in addition to "ceramic brakes, wider wheels" with good tires..... for a price...

IMO people are underestimating the effect software controlling 3 motors can have, the torque on each motor can be optimal for every situation ... in theory .. in practice, that is a solution that improves over time.... so just the software component should be significantly better by October//November 2020.

Last edited:
I agreed w one of the comment about how dirty and slimeball porsche is...look at the diesel fiasco.

We own a MACAN turbo S...because wife wants one...I would never buy a porsche because of the dirty business...if I have a Choice

This is so TRUE...
why does everyone keep saying the Taycan was stock?...it is NOT STOCK...Porsche hasn't sold a single Taycan. There is no Taycan in stock any where in the world. It is a prototype. NO ONE knows what the production Taycan might be.

There are thousands of Model S in existence. This car come closer to being stock than the Taycan.
Tesla is testing their new Model S prototype (PLAID?..maybe)....just like the prototype Taycan.

So this run at the RING is all about engineering the best handling, fastest and quickest EV. We wont know if either one of these car will be a production model at the end.

If Taycan was not close to a production car, why would Porsche CEO say this:

It's great to see healthy competition. However, Zellmer also referenced the modified Model S as of late, saying:

"That's obviously going to limit their relevance of what they've been doing."

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I didn’t think so either but this thread didn’t get to 38 pages due to vigorous agreement if you know what I mean.

It's great to see healthy competition. However, Zellmer also referenced the modified Model S as of late, saying:

Why would Porsche lied on the diesel fiasco?

Do you see a Taycan on the road? Can you go and test drive a Taycan?
I bet you there’s more Model S out there

The Taycan was close to a future production car, just like the Plaid Model S will be...

If/when the Plaid Model S starts shipping to customers, it becomes relevant... that is supposed to be October/November 2020.

When did the Taycan record its time, and when will it start shipping?

We can compare the time lag in both cases, it isn't that relevant, provided production starts shipping no later than 18-24 months after the prototype records the time... they need to test prototypes and time to migrate them to production...

So really what Zelimer said is an attempt to down play anything Tesla might achieve... or perhaps he is hoping the Plaid Model S never ships...

Reactions: bhzmark
The Taycan was close to a future production car, just like the Plaid Model S will be...

If/when the Plaid Model S starts shipping to customers, it becomes relevant... that is supposed to be October/November 2020.

When did the Taycan record its time, and when will it start shipping?

We can compare the time lag in both cases, it isn't that relevant, provided production starts shipping no later than 18-24 months after the prototype records the time... they need to test prototypes and time to migrate them to production...

So really what Zelimer said is an attempt to down play anything Tesla might achieve... or perhaps he is hoping the Plaid Model S never ships...

Taycan Ring time was published in August this year, and delivery starts later this year. The Ring time likely is set not long before that since people were tracking Porsche's activities on Ring earlier during the summer.

This is awesome. Looking forward to an "official announcement" of the times achieved. Whether it's production-like, or not, I love that they have at least two cars there for testing (1 blue, 1 red), and I really like the aggressive fenders, rear wing, and those wheels/tires. I also find it comical that the remnants of the California HOV stickers are still on the rear bumper...
View attachment 455962

Yes, I also noticed the California HOV stickers on that blue Model S Plaid car.

Does it mean Tesla might have just grabbed a used Model S, and made it to beat the newly-developed Porsche Taycan on the Nurburgring lap time? I bet the Porsche team doesn't find it funny at all... :)

tesla-model-s-plaid-prototype.jpg

Yes, I also noticed the California HOV stickers on that blue Model S Plaid car.

Does it mean Tesla might have just grabbed a used Model S, and made it to beat the newly-developed Porsche Taycan on the Nurburgring lap time? I bet the Porsche team doesn't find it funny at all... :)

tesla-model-s-plaid-prototype.jpg

Red red car is believed to be a lemon that was returned and reworked.

They start with a used Model S, modify the body, put in a new battery and motors plus wiring and a lot of other components... only the basic shell of the original remains..

It is simply a cost effect way to produce prototypes,... it does mean they can make a few, where build a new prototype 100% my hand would be more expensive.

I have no idea of other car makers do this, but everyone should do it where possible.

Red red car is believed to be a lemon that was returned and reworked.

They start with a used Model S, modify the body, put in a new battery and motors plus wiring and a lot of other components... only the basic shell of the original remains..

It is simply a cost effect way to produce prototypes,... it does mean they can make a few, where build a new prototype 100% my hand would be more expensive.

I have no idea of other car makers do this, but everyone should do it where possible.

Others do as well. Like you said, it's a relatively cheap way to test stuff and also throw your competition off. It would be interesting to see what's underneath that body. I would bet it's a new chassis with new suspension geometry, plus a lot of new systems to manage the cooling and body dynamics.

Reactions: MC3OZ