Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries drop off cliff, down 56%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Motor upgrades have already been announced. Less expensive to make and gives additional range.

Everyone seems to think a total overhaul of the S/X is coming, but that is simply not the Tesla way. They will announce some new motors, then a faster computer, then improved software/firmware, then different wheels or tires, then improved lighting, then a new battery pack, then some styling changes, then a refreshed interior, then improved displays, then quieter drive lines, then improved filtration, then faster charging, then improved suspension, then new sensors, then upgraded radar, then video in the car, then...then...then....

While I agree with you on how they release updates I just don't know if they can risk doing it this way this time. While they may not show all their cards on the next refresh I think they need to put a good hand together and make the newer S/X really POP or else there will just be more people waiting to see what the next upgrade will be and sales will be slow again.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't care for the 3.
Don't like the awkward door handles.
Don't like pushing a button to exit the car.
Don't like not having gauges in front of me.
Don't like the size.
Don't like the low rear seating.
Don't like the lack of rear hatch.
I also don't care for things that are super popular, but that's just me.
Is this you?

bbb .jpg

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't care for the 3. Don't like the awkward door handles. Don't like pushing a button to exit the car. Don't like not having gauges in front of me. Don't like the size. Don't like the low rear seating. Don't like the lack of rear hatch. I also don't care for things that are super popular, but that's just me.

I'm with you. The pushbutton exit buttons are learnable, but I've heard new passengers make mistake and do the emergency release instead. The hatch on the S is extremely useful and while the trunk is decent size on the 3, it is far less useful. I also like the instrument cluster in front of me with the S and I think Tesla went backwards with the new firmware on the S/X making the main screen more like the 3.

The exterior door handles on the 3 are overly complicated to operate. I would think people with limitations like some forms of arthritis or a hand injury would find them impossible to operate.

Very green just discovered something big related to the refresh. Bigger than Project Raven. Stay tuned. He's trying to get a bug bounty.
So the fun guessing game of the day is what VG could have discovered that's bigger than Raven (improved motors) and is revealed in code. For example, a cosmetic refresh of the exterior probably wouldn't affect the code. A bigger battery could but that wouldn't be enough of a surprise to match VG's enthusiasm. Nor would AP3, which we know is coming. There are so many possibilities that any single guess is likely to be wrong, but for what it's worth my guess is that the code contains parameters relating to the UI that give away a significant interior refresh: for example, a change in the dimensions of the main screen from portrait to landscape, confirming that a redesign of the interior to something like the M3's is imminent. Or possibly parameters for a HUD, which by itself isn't major enough to eclipse Raven, but would be if there was evidence that the rest of the interior was being redesigned too.

Wait -- isn't the term, "bug bounty" something Tesla pays out for hackers finding unknown Vulnerabilities, rather than some new, as-yet-unannounced feature?

Yes it is. Checking his Twitter that was pointed to here

it looks like before he releases whatever he found he is trying to see whether Tesla will classify the source of the information as a bug and pay him for uncovering it.

Reactions: croman
I was predicting the entire Model 3 line was going to push down sales of the Model S. The Model 3 has the newer design, and some are saying the S is looking tired, but the S is a far more versatile car. It's larger with a hatchback as @roblab pointed out.

I think the S is a fantastic car and if I were buying today with unlimited budget, I would go for it in a heartbeat, but if I was buying today I would go for the 3 because it fits within my budget better and it's more car for the money.
Exactly, S sales didn't drop off because it is older than 3, they dropped off because of the price point. A new, cheaper option became available, so even though it doesn't offer the same car, it provides more bang per dollar. A refreshed Model S wouldn't create much more demand, especially if it was just a bigger Model 3 for $30K more.

If the new motor upgrade for the S and X is the same motors as the 3, then Tesla will have a cost savings and they can pass that on to the customer providing a better range car for less money. I also expect the update is going to incorporate as much of the Model 3's parts into the S/X line as possible, which will be another cost savings they can pass on. The S might be selling for $10K-$15K more than the 3 by year's end.
Why would Tesla want to turn Model S into just a bigger Model 3? They already have one in the works, it's called a Model Y.