Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X minor refresh coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't say coming for Model S and found in firmware so could just be for Cybertruck but it probably is coming for Model S soon. Probably not in time for people who ordered already like me though. I do hope retrofit is offered.

Reactions: Dylan McNamee
Now that we’ve seen the new tech on the Cybertruck my speculation is when it shows up on the S.

Bumper cam we knew about but the steer by wire system was a surprise and a miss from the original S with the yoke. Removing the need to rotate past 180* fixes a lot of the UX issues with yoke but also buttons on the wheel.

Hoping we see that as part of the initial 2024 refresh but if not, worth waiting for drive by wire IMHO.

Reactions: TBrownTX and Sambub
Now that we’ve seen the new tech on the Cybertruck my speculation is when it shows up on the S.

Bumper cam we knew about but the steer by wire system was a surprise and a miss from the original S with the yoke. Removing the need to rotate past 180* fixes a lot of the UX issues with yoke but also buttons on the wheel.

Hoping we see that as part of the initial 2024 refresh but if not, worth waiting for drive by wire IMHO.
I was thinking too that drive by wire might be coming soon to Model S, but then I heard that it is 48V system so that would require S moving to 48V architecture which I think is not that easy.

I was thinking too that drive by wire might be coming soon to Model S, but then I heard that it is 48V system so that would require S moving to 48V architecture which I think is not that easy.
Theoretically they could put a voltage step up adapter as a work around. You could get away w this if it were a single system vs many but you may be right or maybe they’ll make a native 12v version for S,X,3 and Y. There’s a huge incentive to share as many parts as possible to reduce costs.

I believe Cybertruck still uses some 12v components still due to the fact it’s hard to source/make all systems you need at 48v

Reactions: zoomer0056
Depends on if they see the S as a long term product or not. Will be interesting. I'm intrigued on this. Holding off my Lightning purchase for a bit.
I don't see Tesla ditching the Model S. Could happen I guess. Of all their products, I could see them dropping the Model X first. Maybe to be replaced by more traditional SUV with normal doors.

I don't see Tesla ditching the Model S. Could happen I guess. Of all their products, I could see them dropping the Model X first. Maybe to be replaced by more traditional SUV with normal doors.
Tesla has no reason to get rid of the Model X, it is a nicer car than a Model Y for people that want a more refined feel, or if they just like technology. The Model X is also for people who like the feel of a Model S but need more room for kids, storage, etc. The “falcon-wing doors” are a cool gimmick which is actually very useful for getting out of tight spaces and they just look cool. So IMHO, Tesla should add an SUV that is priced between a Model Y and a Model S, just doesn’t have air suspension falcon wing doors etc.

Tesla has no reason to get rid of the Model X, it is a nicer car than a Model Y for people that want a more refined feel, or if they just like technology. The Model X is also for people who like the feel of a Model S but need more room for kids, storage, etc. The “falcon-wing doors” are a cool gimmick which is actually very useful for getting out of tight spaces and they just look cool. So IMHO, Tesla should add an SUV that is priced between a Model Y and a Model S, just doesn’t have air suspension falcon wing doors etc.
I only said that because Tesla has two low volume cars. S and X. If they decided to ditch one, I would think the X would go with its complex falcon doors. Could be other way around and S is dropped. Or nothing is dropped.