Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving a Tesla close to three years now and I still hit Neutral accidentally on occasion. The problem is that in our ICEs that stalk is the wipers and I do drive other cars than just the Tesla. I've learned to recover fairly quickly from that, but there are moments when I can see it being dangerous or at least very embarrassing. I wonder if this would be fixable by addinga little more safety logic to the stalk (perhaps regarding speed or some such).

As for the cruise control, I made this point already back in 2015, it is unnecessarily complex to operate. Audi has it so perfectly nailed down: towards you to resume, away to cancel (and way away to disable entirely with a physical locking), up and down to change set speed, button to set a speed. It is so simple. After three years, frankly, I still do not know how that Tesla cruise control operates. :D Removing the on/off button too has been an improvement in later cruises because it was just confusing, but I wish they'd rather kept that as a set button, now there are three ways (up, down, towards yourself) just to set the cruise! It is not very logical... the Audi system I learned in a day, Tesla I'm still not confident with it.

That said, at least us with later cars (my 2014 Classic P85 was one of the first ones with the new stalk arrangement) have the cruise control below the blinker stalk, not above it. Also, Tesla got rid of the annoying light on the cruise control stalk (which did not even show that the cruise was active, it merely showed that the cruise was enabled and thus could be used). Things were even more confusing in the early cars in my opinion, though I of course understand some of this confusion is shared with Mercedes Benz.

Last edited:
Thanks again Kincaid for the photo gallery. What is significance of showing the coin?

Interesting that we took delivery the exact same day, Dec 22nd, yet my MX had all the panels at that time.

I'm very glad you are now WHOLE. I too am loving my vehicle and have just under 8k miles since Dec 22nd.

Keep enjoying.

Thanks again Kincaid for the photo gallery. What is significance of showing the coin?

Interesting that we took delivery the exact same day, Dec 22nd, yet my MX had all the panels at that time.

I'm very glad you are now WHOLE. I too am loving my vehicle and have just under 8k miles since Dec 22nd.

Keep enjoying.
I think it was to show scale. But where does that strap figure in to the setup?

Speaking of cargo storage, has there been any discussion about the lost storage space under and in front of the 2nd row seats when they're folded? I think that Tesla could avoid the need for the upper layer of panels if they could lower the level of the folded seat back.

In my GMC Yukon, rather than the seat back simply folding forward over the seat cushion, the seat cushion swings forward, exposing the floor. The seat back then swings down into that space and so ends up being even lower than where the top of the seat cushion was in the sitting position. Surely Tesla knew about this kind of set up? It's not unique to the Yukon. Why do you suppose they went with a solution that left so much hidden storage space under the 2nd row seat?

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler and krouebi
My friend had a loaner ICE vehicle and we went to lunch and returned to work. 4 hours later he went to the car... it was still running and the key was in it. And no one stole it.

This is a very positive demographic that is developing on the Peninsula, all the way from San Francisco down to San Jose. There are still thieves, but now reciprocating piston gas operated dinosaurs are viewed with such disdain that not even the thieves will steal them.
At the other end of the spectrum, since there are no sounds and no noxious emissions, it's impossible to tell if a Tesla is running unless it is actually moving. If it's moving, no one can catch it. If it's stationary, I believe the most useful tradition that should emerge is that both thieves and enlightened folks rush up to Model X vehicles and wipe off all those bugs that collect on the front end. That would help alleviate the embarrassment that so many Tesla owners face as it becomes clear how quickly we get emotionally attached to these cars and how unusually often we wash them.

• Funny
Reactions: Amp Dup
I'miss new to this forum. Just picked up X90D a couple weeks ago and also confirmed the rear well cover from my previous S85 fits nicely over the X's rear well (S85 was totalled, so I was able to save some parts, but that's another story).

Does anyone know of a cargo/privacy cover that can fit over top of trunk area to hide items? Maybe something that is close to top of 2nd row seat back, similar to cargo shelf from Model S?

Does anyone know of a cargo/privacy cover that can fit over top of trunk area to hide items? Maybe something that is close to top of 2nd row seat back, similar to cargo shelf from Model S?

There is such a cover, you can see a picture of it e.g. here (Evolution of the Model X 5-seater trunk) - that is a Model X trunk cover they are accidentally trying on the floor...

The problem is, starting from around VIN F022381 Tesla removed the rails on the top of the sides of the trunk walls, so that part only fits older 6/7 seater Model Xs... (you can see comparison images in the evolution thread linked above)...

img_2524-jpg.211299

Thanks. So I guess there may be a need now for a new kind of cargo/privacy cover. I actually like the roll-up type which makes it easy to store. Maybe Tesla or a third party will device a new solution. Or is anyone aware of a solution that will work without the supporting top-side rails (which I don't have, VIN#F038077)?

Absolutely love the 5-seat setup with all the cargo space (since this is intended as a replacement for our Highlander Hybrid). Only wish is that the folding 2nd row had some sort of forward/back sliding mechanism like in a Highlander.

Thanks. So I guess there may be a need now for a new kind of cargo/privacy cover. I actually like the roll-up type which makes it easy to store. Maybe Tesla or a third party will device a new solution. Or is anyone aware of a solution that will work without the supporting top-side rails (which I don't have, VIN#F038077)?

I did love a cargo cover/parcel shelf as well. No rails for me either. :(

Absolutely love the 5-seat setup with all the cargo space (since this is intended as a replacement for our Highlander Hybrid). Only wish is that the folding 2nd row had some sort of forward/back sliding mechanism like in a Highlander.

Well, there are those holes with flaps on top on the sides of the walls - even the revised walls without the rails - where a trunk cover could theoretically attach to. Maybe even a pull-out adaptive kind such as station wagons in European premiums often have...

model_x_trunk_panel.jpg

More shots of the parcel shelf here: Model X 5 Seat Deliveries

IMG_5698.jpg

Model X 5 Seat Deliveries

Here is a pull-out cover in an Audi - though there is know visible locking place for one in Model X and Tesla is not exactly known for mechanical finesse such as this... :)

canvasback32.jpg

Hi,

yes, we have also been thinking about those two covered-up fitting points in the side panels, combined wit the two cutouts on the inside of the tailgate - putting in some kind of rollout cover, that remains fixed at the rear would mean a relaively easy-to-handle solution. Open the tailgate, and the cover rises up out of the way for loading, and rolls back when you close the tailgate - and if you need to load higher than the level of the cover, just unhook it at the tailgate end.

I do have to wonder if those covered-up fitting points aren't merely for accessing the side screws? In some early Model X Signature similar holes (on top of the slightly differently shaped side walls) were used for the trunk cover, though...

Anyway (I typoed know instead of no in #630), there is no known locking or resting place on the rear end of the trunk for such a cover, even if it could be attached to those covered-up points...

Still, interesting to see what if anything Tesla has planned for the trunk area. I could easily see some accessory sales opportunities for them...

In my GMC Yukon, rather than the seat back simply folding forward over the seat cushion, the seat cushion swings forward, exposing the floor. The seat back then swings down into that space and so ends up being even lower than where the top of the seat cushion was in the sitting position

I agree. My ML350 Mercedes bench seat folded that way and seemed more functional.

What I really dislike about folding seat back down ON TOP of bench seat is the seat belt receiver leaving a huge indentation into the leather of seat back...especially if a heavy load is placed on top for, for a day or so.

Has anyone else noticed that problem?

I agree. My ML350 Mercedes bench seat folded that way and seemed more functional.

What I really dislike about folding seat back down ON TOP of bench seat is the seat belt receiver leaving a huge indentation into the leather of seat back...especially if a heavy load is placed on top for, for a day or so.

Has anyone else noticed that problem?
I only noticed indentations from the seat belt buckle end - but now just make sure the middle one is up at the very top and that the two sides are on the outside of the bench when I fold it down.

I do have to wonder if those covered-up fitting points aren't merely for accessing the side screws? In some early Model X Signature similar holes (on top of the slightly differently shaped side walls) were used for the trunk cover, though...

I don't think so for a few reasons:
1. Inside the 2 side springing fitting points are 2 horizontal running rounded steel rail thingys, very sturdy, as if something could hook on them. No screws in there.
2. The very rear side panels, closest to the lift gate, also have metal latches on each side, perfect for hooking.
3. The liftgate has a recessed notch on each side, perhaps a figment of sorts.

Combined there are 6 potential attachment points, to support a parcel screen type unit opening with the liftgate, or tacked down like a cargo net. I'm hopeful Tesla has something in mind. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 110

Keep enjoying.

I have not yet recovered from the fact that, nor been able to understand why, folks from Oregon and Colorado were anointed with fully implemented rear cargo flooring panels in December, and I was shortchanged on the deal. Perhaps Tesla discovered I had a bunch of TSLA stock and they knew it would be really silly for me to complain about anything. Ah, well...as you said, I am whole now. Snowboard bags, skiis, golf club bags, and unlimited luggage items fit with room to spare. Whew.

As noted by Jrogville, the quarter was to provide scale, but also to show off the fabulous wealth and disposable cash reserves of we enlightened Tesla owners.

Your 8K miles driven since December 22 outdistances me by 3K miles, and I look for any reason to drive anywhere for any reason every day of the week. You must be driving to Telluride each weekend. In my case, some of my mileage is motivated by the fact that I have now only charged up at home a total of 4 times, and each of those times was for 3 or 4 hours at most. Supercharger heaven is one of the many phony excuses I use to justify buying a Tesla. The truth is I just really wanted to zoom around in a really quiet car and play with the falcon wing doors.

[QUOTE="AnxietyRanger, post: 2057215, member: 27769"

]Here is a pull-out cover in an Audi - though there is know visible locking place for one in Model X and Tesla is not exactly known for mechanical finesse such as this... :)[/QUOTE]
I had something similar to this on my ML350.

I would love to have the fabric looking cover that encompasses the cargo area of this Audi.

My white lab'S fur clings to the carpet back of bench seat like velcro & very difficult to vacuum.

Anyone see an thing similar that might work for me?

Thanks

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger

I would love to have the fabric looking cover that encompasses the cargo area of this Audi.

My white lab's fur clings to the carpet back of bench seat like velcro & very difficult to vacuum.

Thanks
Here is one liner that folks have recommended in other threads, but there are many others. In fact there was a thread specifically devoted to what cargo area liners people were using.

XL SUV 60/40 Split Cargo Cover / Liner for Dogs and Pets - 4Knines

My white lab'S fur clings to the carpet back of bench seat like velcro & very difficult to vacuum.

Thanks

I feel your pain. I have three labs & the white one sheds hair that I swear is covered in glue. It does not vacuum up easily, I usually have to use a sticky roller.

I gave up on finding a liner that actually did the job. I ended up getting three things and the back of my X is now well protected.

1) I purchased a hammock seat cover, installed it on the second row, and then flipped the second row seats down. I know that sounds crazy, but it keeps their gwedge from getting on the back of the driver/passenger seats, acts as a barrier to the front, keeps noses off the center armrest, keeps them from falling in the space between the front seats and the cargo area, and keeps their drool and hair from falling down to the floor below. It was a stroke of genius :).

2) I cut a piece of non-slip carpet padding to fit the back, with about 6" going up on each side. Again, it keeps the hair contained.

3) I strugged with how to protect the window sills. Because drool. But then I found these on Amazon and they do the trick.
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 6.57.52 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger